What LPs have you listened to recently?

jimdgoulding

Re: What LPs have you listened to recently?
« Reply #7060 on: 12 Sep 2014, 09:24 pm »
How is the LA Jazz Choir record?
It's about as perfect a recording as I have heard and, perhaps, as there is.  It's an early Keith Johnson recording made in real time on location somewhere.  I listen at a level that puts me about one third into the realistic hall and it's stupid believable.  The singers and trio are equally lifelike.  Happy hunting.   

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7061 on: 13 Sep 2014, 12:22 am »
Some recordings you just have to go back to cause they are the cat's pajamas in ways you love.  The music and the playing of the music.  Realism of sound to your experience and it's energy . . 

For CD only :dunno:, the Mapleshade label* delivers on the latter large.  Check out Andy McKee and NEXT and a Russian jazz singer named Datevik (in English) on her "Ballads From The Black Sea".  Whoa, dude!  Uncompressed dynamics across the board and clean as a whistle the both of them.  This one you should be able to order at Amazon: self-titled "Sahib Shihab and The Danish Jazz Radio Group" on the Octav label.  This small gem of dynamic life was recorded in 1965 and its sound is competitive with anything today.  Plus, it's soul is positively contagious even if you don't ordinarily like jazz.   

For pop music and vinyl I have only just re-discovered Peter Gabriel's "Security" with incredible use of layering and space.  Check out the opening track "The Rhythm of the Heat".  Loud, ladies.  Another I would add in this category is David Crosby's "If Only I Could Remember My Name".  Rumor has it that it went way over budget that Crosby and company had barricaded the doors into the studio.  Hard to call a multi-tracked album perfect.  But, for a 60's alum like me, that's what it is.  And the warm and very generous sound is just right for the music.  Joni Mitchell and Grace Slick are in the chorus and you can pick them out on occasion.

Some classical music and recordings on vinyl . .

Elgar's Enigma Variations with Monteux conducting The London Sym (RCA)
Malcolm Arnold's English, Scottish and Cornish Dances (Lyrita)
Shostakovich's 10th with Svetlanov conducting the USSR Sym (Melodiya)
KOR (Proprius).

The latter is a Scandanavian recording and all of the labels from that part of the world that I know of just get it right.  For simple vocal and piano hunt down and capture "Fairytales"- Radha Toneff and Steve Dobrogosz on the Norwegian ODIN label.  Just voice (in English) and piano pure as fresh snow and an interesting collection of songs it is.  Might even become a demo record for guests to your lair.   

Ain't this hobby of ours fun.

*direct from the label

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7062 on: 15 Sep 2014, 07:50 am »

1966 Blue Note

Lee Morgan
Curtis Fuller
Bobby Hutcherson
Cedar Walton
Ron Carter
Joe Chambers

Must have - killer album.
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7063 on: 15 Sep 2014, 08:25 am »

1958 Blue Note

Art Farmer
Jackie McLean
Paul Chambers
Philly Joe Jones

Classic - nice old album
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7064 on: 15 Sep 2014, 01:08 pm »

1979 (recording) issued 2007 Legacy

Half of this album was recorded at the 1979 Havana Jam Festival in Cuba.  Other tracks were recorded in '79 in NYC.

Not for the faint of heart, this is one explosive record.  Fasten you seat belt for the ultimate power trio.
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7065 on: 19 Sep 2014, 12:18 pm »

1958 Columbia

Cannonball Adderley
John Coltrane
Red Garland
Paul Chambers
Philly Joe Jones

This is a photo I got off the net.  My album looks a little different, being a 6 eye mono issue and it sounds sweet.  You can hear Gil Evans influence in Miles playing, as Miles Ahead was recorded a year previously.  At times he's lyrical and melodic, almost pensive, as if still playing an Evan's arrangement.   Nice mix of tunes here winds up with Monk's Straight no Chaser, an all time favorite.

Many of these old Columbia mono recordings don't get the attention they deserve.  For years most were issued in electronically re-channeled stereo, which left something to be desired.  I would buy them anyway, for the music.  In 2007 most were remastered for stereo.  I couldn't tell you about those, but the originals are terrific cherished albums.
neo

a.wayne

« Reply #7066 on: 19 Sep 2014, 01:06 pm »
Ahmad Jamal live at Bubbas .......

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #7067 on: 19 Sep 2014, 01:44 pm »
Many of these old Columbia mono recordings don't get the attention they deserve.  For years most were issued in electronically re-channeled stereo, which left something to be desired.  I would buy them anyway, for the music.  In 2007 most were remastered for stereo.  I couldn't tell you about those, but the originals are terrific cherished albums.
neo
I picked up a VG++ copy of the classic "Time Out" in the 6 eye mono at the local lp store the other day.  I've been listening to my stereo copy since the late 60's, but the mono has details I've never heard on the stereo version. 
As far as the 6 eye's not getting attention???? Have you seen the prices lately? $$$

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7068 on: 19 Sep 2014, 03:23 pm »
I picked up a VG++ copy of the classic "Time Out" in the 6 eye mono at the local lp store the other day.  I've been listening to my stereo copy since the late 60's, but the mono has details I've never heard on the stereo version. 
As far as the 6 eye's not getting attention???? Have you seen the prices lately? $$$

I mean the recordings themselves.  Many people didn't bother with a re-channeled record and the recordings suffered loss of ear time and popularity.  If sales were good on a particular re-channeled LP, it was because of the music.  If SQ was better, sales would have been even better.  Some people wouldn't buy an electronically re-channeled record.
neo

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7069 on: 20 Sep 2014, 09:23 pm »

1966 Blue Note

Lee Morgan
Curtis Fuller
Bobby Hutcherson
Cedar Walton
Ron Carter
Joe Chambers

Must have - killer album.
neo
Think I might have to get me some of that.  Joe is featured on an Andrew Hill album that slays me every time I play it:  Point of Departure (Blue Note).  The opening track, Refuge, one of the most satisfyingly perfect tracks I've ever heard with Hill, Kenny Dorham, Eric Dolphy, Joe, Richard Davis and Tony Williams.  I mean THIS track turns me every which way but loose.  Williams is all of about 18 years old and is truly special.  The way Hill draws the soloists in like pulling back on the reigns of a team of horses and then releasing them is priceless.  Everybody's solos are the best I've heard these guys individually.  Not for the faint of heart.  This is powerful stuff:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7070 on: 20 Sep 2014, 11:03 pm »
Lil footnote to the above . . I think what makes this music/track special is the interplay between Davis and Williams.  Nothing quite like that I have heard.  Hill's understated plaintive counterpoint to Davis and Williams intense mass of notes is somehow perfect.  He's the proverbial eye of the hurricane.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7071 on: 21 Sep 2014, 01:51 pm »
Mode for Joe is one of those albums that has an infectious groove you can't help but like.   Like Cedar Walton's Eastern Rebellion it hits that other G spot - groove spot.   Check these out:

1965 Blue Note

McCoy Tyner
Bob Cranshaw
Elvin Jones

1964 Blue Note

Kenny Durham
McCoy Tyner
Richard Davis
Elvin Jones

Joe was a hard hitting intellectual player.  He could make a simple tune sound complex or make sense - get coherence from out playing.  These are two of his most recognized killer albums.
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7072 on: 27 Sep 2014, 10:13 pm »

1960 Prestige - New Jazz

Oliver Nelson - tenor saxophone, alto saxophone
Eric Dolphy - bass clarinet, alto saxophone
Richard Williams - trumpet
Richard Wyands - piano
George Duvivier - bass
Roy Haynes - drums

Richard Williams sounds great on this record, as does the rhythm section.  This is a straight up blues session and it's a treat to hear the solo and ensamble work of Eric Dolphy and Oliver Nelson.   '60/'61 was a productive time for Nelson.   No less than 7 albums were released in those two years including The Blues and the Abstract Truth in '61 on Impulse. 
neo

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7073 on: 28 Sep 2014, 12:57 am »
I've had Blues and the Abstract Truth for decades, Neo, prolly like yourself.   Your posts have sure gotten good lately.  That an old Kenwood KD500 in your Gallery?  Had one of those myself.

Read where trumpet player Kenny Wheeler died.  Geez, I have him good on an ECM release with some other cats.  Why don't I just recommend that you buy it . . "Sound Suggestions" it is.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7074 on: 29 Sep 2014, 01:26 pm »
Kenny Wheeler was an excellent player.  I used to have these on ECM, but I lost them in the great flood. 

Look at the personnel.  On Deer Wan it's Jan Garbarek, John Abercrombie, Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette.   Two really good albums and there's quite a few more.  I like to go to Amazon and brose.  They often have good reviews and samples of cuts.  Now they even have some new and used vinyl.  At least you can get an idea of what to look for or future purchases.
http://www.amazon.com/Kenny-Wheeler/e/B000APXHXM/ref=ac_dtp_sa_bio

neo

brianmch

« Reply #7075 on: 29 Sep 2014, 01:52 pm »

This was a really good local roots-style harmonica player with a talented guitarist. Robert Johnson played in his house when he was a little kid. First recording by Chad at Acoustic Sounds. Live in-studio. Incredible sound and performance. 

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7076 on: 29 Sep 2014, 02:08 pm »

1965 Blue Note

Horace Silver — piano
Carmell Jones — trumpet
Joe Henderson — tenor saxophone
Teddy Smith — bass
Roger Humphries — drums

Horace Silver — piano
Blue Mitchell — trumpet
Junior Cook — tenor saxophone
Gene Taylor — bass
Roy Brooks — drums

Another legendary player who passed away recently is Horace Silver.  This is his most popular album and it's one of those that just feels right.  Everything hangs together perfectly, like it was made by mother nature. 
Warning - if you're not familiar with Horace Silver and you get this album, you'll probably wind up with 20 or 30 more.  Not a bad thing, but .....
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7077 on: 30 Sep 2014, 01:54 pm »

1964 Blue Note

Wayne Shorter – tenor saxophone
Lee Morgan – trumpet
McCoy Tyner – piano
Reggie Workman – bass
Elvin Jones – drums

This is Wayne's first Blue Note album and I believe it was just before he joined the Miles Davis band to replace Trane and Cannonball.   Who else could have filled those shoes, but Wayne Shorter? 

This album has a relaxed feel.  Even the up tempo tunes are effortless.  Lee Morgan sounds perfect, and the interplay between Wayne and McCoy is ear candy.  My face scrunched up and went side to side like I was Bill Cosby.  It's just sooo_ good.

One of the differences between a decent musician and a great musician, is the ability to make it sound right at any tempo.  It can be harder to play slow, than up tempo.  The musicians on this album are/were some of the greatest who ever lived.  That's no exaggeration.
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7078 on: 2 Oct 2014, 09:05 pm »

2002 Blue Note

Nora Jones is the daughter of the late Ravi Shankar. 

Sweet singer.
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7079 on: 8 Oct 2014, 11:51 pm »

Taru  Recorded 1968   Released Blue Note 1980

Bennie Maupin - tenor
George Benson - guitar
John Hicks - piano
Reggie Workman - bass
Billy Higgins - drums

This is the original cover, released in '80.  Blue Note had a series of these records that were never previously released.  You might see some today with a new, more traditional looking cover.   
This is a nice straight up session with Bennie Maupin and John Hicks giving it a different feel.   George Benson adds a whole other dimension and he really sounds great here. 
neo