one boring circle

Bill

one boring circle
« on: 11 Feb 2009, 03:56 am »
Will someone put the "Toronto Audio Society" circle out of its misery. Please!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: one boring circle
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2009, 04:14 am »
Maybe you should attempt to put yourself out of misery and stay out of Circles that aren't to your liking? :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

wafermadness

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2009, 06:39 am »
At Last! Some excitement in the quiet peacefull Great White North. :lol:

Thanks Bill and Robin. :D

Best Regards
Igor

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2009, 06:46 am »
At Last! Some excitement in the quiet peacefull Great White North. :lol:

Thanks Bill and Robin. :D

Best Regards
Igor

HEY no problem Igor,,, that's how I roll. It pains me to see Bill suffering so while coming to this Circle so I simply gave him the same advise I take for myself. :rotflmao:

Cheers,
Robin

TheChairGuy

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2009, 11:14 am »
I dig Toronto (really, I do).  One of the finest 5-or-so cities I visit in the world (I don't visit everywhere of course, but I get around).

But, I've told Canadian Tire & Zeller's (customers of mine) us California boys won't visit from November thru March.  They took it pretty well and with good humor, actually (I'm not sure they realized I was dead serious :lol:)

Just trying to get some lovin' action injected into this topic :)

John

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2009, 11:27 am »
I can roll with that John,,,, I'm a little (but not too much) embarrassed to admit it but even tho my heritage is Canadian (my grandfather was from Quebec) and I only live 85 miles from the Canadian border, I have never been to Canada. :oops: It only seems right that before I die I should cross the border and visit the land of my ancestors. :thumb:

I only wonder tho,,,, would my visit to Canada be as boring as this Circle? :o I jest. :jester:

Good Morning Canada! :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

TheChairGuy

« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2009, 11:37 am »
Robin, you gotta' make tracks to Canada, me boy :thumb:

Really, it's a fine place to visit...as much European in feel and sentiment as it is North American.  All the influx of immigrants over the last couple decades has really livened up Canada for the better, too (food is excellent...always has been in Quebec, of course :wink:)

Toronto and Vancouver are world class cities....it's been too long since I've been to Montreal now (and the Laurentians) and I want to visit Calgary one day, too.  I go to Ottawa about once a year (Costco Canada is there) and that town is still a bit sleepy :sleep:

What are ya' waiting fer, boy?  It's right next door to ya'.

John

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2009, 12:19 pm »
It only seems right that before I die I should cross the border and visit the land of my ancestors. :thumb:

The only parts worth seeing are Quebec City and British Columbia.  Everything east of the Rocky Mountains is FLAT.  In much of Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba, you watch your dog run away for three days.  Ontario is my least favorite place on the planet.  Never been to Atlantic Canada, can't get past the accent.

Syrah

« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2009, 01:08 pm »
That's not really fair.  I think it depends on what you're after.  If you want wilderness (like many Europeans do) I agree that BC is the place to go.  You can golf, ski and fish the same day, nuff said.  Although northern Ontario and the Laurentian mountains of Quebec ain't too shabby on the nature front. 

Never tell anyone from BC that it is anything but perfect.  You're in for a fight even if they've never been anywhere else.

If you want culture and urban excitment - go Toronto and Montreal.  Toronto is a lot like Chicago, if I had to pick a close American city.  If you don't like Chicago, you won't like Toronto.  I have not been out east, but everyone I know who has loves it - particularly Halifax.  Quebec city is old world beautiful, but the old core is small (like Boston) so I wouldn't plan to spend too much time there.

In a perfect world, I'd wake up in BC where I'd spend the day, magically appear in Toronto around 5 p.m. where I'd have dinner and go out, then end up in Montreal from about midnight to 4 a.m. where I'd have dinner again and go out again.  And repeat.

Montreal is a wild place.  People are truly crazy fun and anything goes.  At night it is what New Orleans pretends to be.  People in Montreal really care about culture.  If you go out for dinner in Toronto, you will overhear people talking mostly about money; in Montreal people talk about music, food, art...   it's like being on AudioCircle.  If yo go out in Vancouver, you won't hear anyone unless it's before 11 p.m. - they will be talking about camping and rollerblading.  If you go to Montreal, make sure to visit Coup de Foudre - an audiophile Mecca.

The thing that seems to strike people most about Toronto is the extent to which it is a multicultural city with an international outlook.  You really need to talk to locals (real locals) to figure out where to go because it is a bit of an acquired taste and the fun places are not clearly laid out for tourists.  If you stick to the tourist strip near the convention center, you will leave with the impression that the city sucks, unlike some places where the things to visit are easy to determine and clearly laid out.

My two cents.

iGrant

« Reply #9 on: 11 Feb 2009, 01:41 pm »
It only seems right that before I die I should cross the border and visit the land of my ancestors. :thumb:

The only parts worth seeing are Quebec City and British Columbia.  Everything east of the Rocky Mountains is FLAT.  In much of Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba, you watch your dog run away for three days.  Ontario is my least favorite place on the planet.  Never been to Atlantic Canada, can't get past the accent.

That is just a 'flat' retarded post, except for watching your dog run away for 3 days :). Were abouts do you live and what parts of the world or Canada have you really seen?

MaxCast

« Reply #10 on: 11 Feb 2009, 01:49 pm »
Wind might be chasing his tail, but:
...you watch your dog run away for three days
made me laugh out loud.  :lol:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #11 on: 11 Feb 2009, 01:54 pm »
Toronto is a lot like Chicago, if I had to pick a close American city.  If you don't like Chicago, you won't like Toronto

Bingo...I love Chicago (cannot with to be there in late March again) and Toronto is really a good proxy (or definitely better in as many ways) of it.

And BC really is near perfect...except I'll take the 20 degrees F better weather here in SF the other 8 months.  I'll take the truly more adventurous food/gastronomy of BC (Vancouver, Richmond, at least) over San Fran's resting laurels any day tho  :thumb:

For that matter, Portland and Seattle beats SF for food and genuine liveliness (not to be confused with worthless picketing and protests here), too :wink:

Hey, isn't John/Wind Chaser a Canuck?  His is a curious post, if so :scratch:

John

TheChairGuy

« Reply #12 on: 11 Feb 2009, 01:56 pm »
Hey, tho we haven't talked one iota about audio yet...at least this circle isn't as boring anymore !

bluemike

« Reply #13 on: 11 Feb 2009, 02:00 pm »
What if I told you the reason this forum is quiet is we are too busy listening to our systems and enjoying the music  :green:

soundbitten1

« Reply #14 on: 11 Feb 2009, 02:46 pm »
If you're an outdoor lover the Canadian Rockies & Cape Breton Island are awesome !

How does Vancouver Island compare to these places ? I'm planning on going there next .

Wind Chaser

« Reply #15 on: 11 Feb 2009, 03:27 pm »
I AM Canadian.  I've lived most of my life in Alberta and can state with authority - Calgary SUCKS.  I've also live in Ontario and Quebec but now reside in the Okanagan Valley of BC, one of the most desirable places on all of Canada.

2bigears

« Reply #16 on: 11 Feb 2009, 03:33 pm »
 :D  most of Canada is boring,the simple life if you must.i did not know Montreal was wild-side ?? what the heck is Coup de Foudre ???? :D  i heard Ottawa is a fun place to visit.... :D

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #17 on: 11 Feb 2009, 03:39 pm »
I like the outdoors of New Brunswick, PEI and Nova Scotia.  But really only in the summer.
Montreal, on the other hand, is a city I will never tire of in any season.  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #18 on: 11 Feb 2009, 03:49 pm »
Hey Bill,
Now that you know how to post pictures, why don't you post some of Canada's wilderness....or maybe your system?  aa

Bob

iGrant

« Reply #19 on: 11 Feb 2009, 04:06 pm »
I AM Canadian.  I've lived most of my life in Alberta and can state with authority - Calgary SUCKS.  I've also live in Ontario and Quebec but now reside in the Okanagan Valley of BC, one of the most desirable places on all of Canada.

Well I can understand you thinking that the rest of Canada doesn't compare to the Okanogon, except Northern Ontario at the top of the great lakes is stunning. much more beautiful than the Okanogon, or the 1000 Islands on the St. Lawrence River, or Georgian Bay. I've lived in the Okanogan and have a dealer there too, so see it often and watch it going downhill with all the comercialization. I've also travelled most of Canada by car many times, Quebec City is a great place, if you can get past the accent !!!. Guess you didn't get out much while you lived in Ontario.

Calgary sucks? I've lived here for almost 3 years now and it's an amazing city, on any given night I can go choose from at least 40 live bands !! to go see. Try that in any other place in Canada. Great people and the most beautiful blonds on the planet :) I guess you think Banff sucks too, suburbia Calgary or do you think Banff is in BC?

Grew up in Toronto. guess you've never made it to the 'beach' in Toronto either.