Any plans for a stereo amp?

gme109

« on: 23 Jun 2005, 09:46 pm »
I know some people seem to like monoblocks, but I prefer keeping it simple. One amp means I can spend more on a power cord, isolation footers and RFI & EMI shielding. All of which make a huge difference. I'm currently using a $1,500 Virtual Dynamics power cord on my Spectron amp. Along with a Shaki Stone and DH cones, soon to be Boston TuneBlocks. ($170 for a set of three) All of these made a huge difference in the sound. If I tried your monoblocks I'd need, or I should say  I'd want to get, because these are the best sounding tweaks I've found, another $1,500 power cord, another set of $170 TuneBlocks and one more $200 Shaki Stone, which is not likely to happen. So hopefully you have planes for coming out with a stereo amp.

CIAudio

« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2005, 10:31 pm »
No plans for a stereo amp at this time. I feel there's much more improvement by having seperate transformers for each channel than any power cord could possibly make. Power cords DO make a difference, but something like a Volex 14 gauge shielded (about $10) does a great job.
Even if we did make a $2500 stereo version, I feel it would be ridiculous to use a $1500 piece of wire to hook it up...just my opinion.

gme109

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2005, 11:49 pm »
[quote="I feel it would be ridiculous to use a $1500 piece of wire to hook it up...just my opinion.[/quote]

That's what I thought, until I tried it.

NealH

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2005, 12:22 am »
If am amplifier needs all those vodoo gimmicks to sound proper then it's high time to go buy a properly engineered amp.  

$1500 piece of wire makes a huge difference...LOL!!!

.....give me a break.

Now a quality isolation transformer is another thing.  You see, something like the MGE ultra-isolator will provide 140 db of common mode noise suppression and includes a two stage RFI filter and surge protection to better ensure against an insulation breakdown resulting from a voltage surge.  This transformer uses high grade steel machined to tight tolerances, features a double pri-sec shield, and meets the standards for application in the medical field.  Use one of these on the front end of the Spectron and throw away those vodoo pins, stones and funny wires.

gme109

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2005, 01:03 am »
Quote from: rnhood
If am amplifier needs all those vodoo gimmicks to sound proper then it's high time to go buy a properly engineered amp.  

$1500 piece of wire makes a huge difference...LOL!!!

.....give me a break.

Any amplifier would greatly benefit from a high end power cord. How long have you been an audiophile?

thayerg

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2005, 01:09 am »
I'd buy a high end power cord but they don't make them long enough to go all the way to the generating station.

gme109

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jun 2005, 01:30 am »
Quote from: thayerg
I'd buy a high end power cord but they don't make them long enough to go all the way to the generating station.

An upgraded power cord is not just about improving the transfer of power. Shielding unwanted RFI, EMI and mechanical vibrations from entering your equipment via the power cord is the other half of the equation.

NealH

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2005, 02:07 am »
Can you please provide a model number or a link for the transformer?

Here are two units, both of which offer excellent isolation performance.  The latter ferro-resonant unit also includes line regulation as well as harmonic distortion rejection such as that which would appear if you were operating a light dimmer on the same 120V circuit. Obviously this unit is more expensive and has even better performance but, unless you know your line needs this help, the Topaz 100 will be plenty sufficient for general clean up duties.  No need to buy more than you need.  

http://www.mgeups.com/products/pdt120/powerc/tpz100/t100.htm

http://www.mgeups.com/products/pdt120/powerc/tpz800/index.htm

An upgraded power cord is not just about improving the transfer of power. Shielding unwanted RFI, EMI and mechanical vibrations from entering your equipment via the power cord is the other half of the equation.

Any competently designed piece of audio equipment today will have a EMI/RFI filter installed on it's front end.  If not then just buy one from Corcom or one of the other manufacturers (see Newark Electronics).  Heck, even Radio Shack probably sells them.  You probably have 50 feet of romex wire running around inside your walls yet only 6 feet of power cord on your amp.  Shielding the power cord is only benefiting 6 feet of  that 56 foot antenna.  Hence the reasoning behind adding an RFI filter on the front end of your equipment - assuming it doesn't not already have one - which frankly is unlikely today.  This way you block the RFI from all 56 feet.  Make sense?

Improving the transfer of power....LOL!!

gme109

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2005, 02:52 am »
Any competently designed piece of audio equipment today will have a EMI/RFI filter installed on it's front end.  If not then just buy one from Corcom or one of the other manufacturers (see Newark Electronics).  Heck, even Radio Shack probably sells them.  You probably have 50 feet of romex wire running around inside your walls yet only 6 feet of power cord on your amp.  Shielding the power cord is only benefiting 6 feet of  that 56 foot antenna.  Hence the reasoning behind adding an RFI filter on the front  ...

I didn't post hear to argue about the merits of power cords or  the Spectron amp. I merly had a question for Channel Islands Audio.  I'm interested in his amps and I was wondering if a stereo version was on the horizon. Since I DO hear a very substantial difference with the above mentioned tweaks, on both the Spectron and an Accuphase 65v cd player, and on most other equipment I've tried them on, I didn't want to have to  duplicate these tweaks with the use of monoblocks. End of story.

DTB300

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jun 2005, 01:14 pm »
Quote from: CIAudio
Power cords DO make a difference, but something like a Volex 14 gauge shielded (about $10) does a great job.

Agreed on the Voltex - great little cord for such little cost.  I use them in my system and with all that extra money I save on ridiculously priced PC's, I buy MUCHO music to listen to.  

There is a point of SEVERE diminishing returns, and the cost versus the performance is way out of balance for most of the big $$$$ PC's.

dhiebert

• http://darrenhiebert.com
« Reply #10 on: 3 Oct 2005, 11:00 pm »
Power cords DO make a difference, but something like a Volex 14 gauge shielded (about $10) does a great job.

Can you suggest a source for Volex shielded cables? I cannot seem to locate a source.

Thank you.

jonwb

« Reply #11 on: 3 Oct 2005, 11:06 pm »
Quote from: dhiebert

Can you suggest a source for Volex shielded cables? I cannot seem to locate a source.

Thank you.

check out this thread here

CIAudio

« Reply #12 on: 4 Oct 2005, 12:46 am »

BradJudy

« Reply #13 on: 4 Oct 2005, 01:08 am »
Mouser also carries the Volex cords, but they are about twice as much there IIRC.

dhiebert

• http://darrenhiebert.com
« Reply #14 on: 4 Oct 2005, 05:56 am »
Here are two units, both of which offer excellent isolation performance. The latter ferro-resonant unit also includes line regulation as well as harmonic distortion rejection such as that which would appear if you were operating a light dimmer on the same 120V circuit. Obviously this unit is more expensive and has even better performance but, unless you know your line needs this help, the Topaz 100 will be plenty sufficient for general clean up duties. No need to buy more than you need.

While I was very impressed with the electrical performance of these units, did you note that their specifications for "audible noise" were 50-56dB at 1 meter? That makes them effectively unusable for audio systems.