Cheapest recommended iPhone for direct headphone use

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
I'm a bit of an Apple fan, owning a 4S iPhone, iMac, and MacBook Air. 

Bought the 4S reconditioned 2+ years ago.  Still works fine, no immediate interest in updating.  But am considering extended overseas travel, want to travel light, and don't know what living quarters I'd have.  So am thinking about getting a new phone and headphones (would rather not add a headphone amp).  Would use Tidal and have the MacBook with me, so don't need excessive speed/memory.  What would the crew here recommend?

TIA

lokie

Re: Cheapest recommended iPhone for direct headphone use
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2017, 01:15 pm »
I'm looking for the same, so unfortunately, can't provide any recommendations but will be watching this thread.

My problem is: the only in ear buds I can wear is the original Apple type buds. And even those get uncomfortable after a couple of hours. So, I'm thinking I need over ear. Which doesn't travel as well.... you cant stick those in your pocket. And problematic on long flights since you cant rest your head on a pillow.

Anyway... just food for thought as you work through your options.

orientalexpress

« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2017, 01:29 pm »
I been using this AKG K181 DJ UE on my iphone6 ,sound pretty good  :thumb: and pretty reasonable price.there a new model K182 ,but i haven't compare it .

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2017, 06:24 pm »
I own a 5 and am thinking about the next step also.

Cheapest?  Huh?  Smallest/cheapest is the SE which has the guts of a 6S in a smaller form factor.  Memory?  Both take a 3.5mm or Lightning connection.  For that matter, the 7 comes with a Lightning to 3.5mm adapter.  Are you talking Audeze for the Lightning connection or the 3.5 which will allow the traditional choices?  Ear buds on and airplane?  Nah!  Size of the screen an issue?

Best Regards,

Blu99Zoomer

lokie

« Reply #4 on: 8 Aug 2017, 07:44 pm »
Oh yea that reminds me....

Another consideration is to be aware of the inputs. If it's just the Lightening, like my wifes 7, then you can't charge and plug in headphones at the same time.... or maybe you can and i just don't know how to do it.

Lugging big headphones around while traveling is not for me. Plus, I can't do the big headphone "look" while perusing the scene.

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2017, 08:52 pm »
lokie,

Do you have big hair buns, too? :) Nice Photoshop!  But there are Audeze iem's these days which get around that look and won't mess up your hair.  You bring up a good point about the charging and listening if one is not into wireless headphones.  Situational awareness is important while travelling as well.  I would prefer to be in touch with my surroundings while travelling to stay safe, unlike the young female jogger I passed this morning on a local walking trail who resembled your Princess Leah but couldn't hear me when I greeted her.  Btw, I have seen adapters like the camera connectors that offer a usb and a 3.5mm connector so you could charge while listening.  I believe that I saw that on the Computer Audiophile website in conjunction with an Audioquest Red.  The OP was inquiring about a phone but has not specified if he prefers either connection.  We really don't want to derail his post...Thanks again for the humor though.

Best Regards,

Blu99Zoomer

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 8 Aug 2017, 08:56 pm »
As an SE owner, I'd tend to second Blu99Zoomer's suggestion for the phone. If you select the 7, there are splitters which allow simultaneous charging and listening, which requires not one but two dongles for standard 1/8" 'phones. Apple wants you to buy wireless headphones.

There are about 878,563 options for small portable earphones. Apple's own balanced-armature 'In Ear Headphones' get little 'phile cred, but dramatically outperform their $79 price point, especially with Comply foam tips. Very neutral and crisp.

Anything by Etymotic, even the $79 (IIRC) mc series is respectable, but the BA models (hf and ER series) do outperform them.

The Shure SE series (the 215 is a bass-head model but the others are good 'fi'). Get the 535 if it doesn't kill the budget.

The Ety and Shure models probably give the best isolation out there, which might be useful while traveling.

Regarding amps: I know you're trying to travel light, but an Audioquest Dragonfly Black DAC/amp is about the size of a thumb drive, plugs directly into your MacBook or into the phone with the Lightning USB Camera adapter, draws its power from the device so no charging to think about, and does take the SQ up a notch.

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 8 Aug 2017, 09:03 pm »

My problem is: the only in ear buds I can wear is the original Apple type buds. And even those get uncomfortable after a couple of hours. So, I'm thinking I need over ear. Which doesn't travel as well.... you cant stick those in your pocket. And problematic on long flights since you cant rest your head on a pillow.

Lokie, I think either memory foam eartips or (ka-CHING) custom tips would solve your in-ear comfort issues (they did mine).

JLM

« Reply #8 on: 9 Aug 2017, 10:03 am »
Only looking for at home use with over-ear wired headphones (not while traveling - worried about spending months without music not minutes), and not earbuds (don't like things in my ears - did headphones back in the dorms). 

A friend let me briefly try a bulky pair of headphones he scored for $15 off his iPhone 6 that sounded pretty good, but am considering spending a  more if quality warrants.  Maybe something like Grado SR60e.

Yes I saw the Apple SE phone recently and liked the size, thanks for the heads up regarding it's guts. 

Yes, MacBook use is probably closer to what I'm after, and so the DragonFly makes complete sense.

Will look into those headphone suggestions.

Thanks all.   :thumb:
« Last Edit: 9 Aug 2017, 12:54 pm by JLM »

pmch

« Reply #9 on: 9 Aug 2017, 05:06 pm »
I like earbuds with my IPhone when taking a walk. I can't tolerate big headphones even sitting down.

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #10 on: 9 Aug 2017, 07:04 pm »
Another thought.  My son in law works in one of those "open office" configurations.  He uses his iPhone a lot there.  When he was looking for a set of over the ear headphones to use while working, I steered him towards a set of Noontec Zoro wired headphones(Cost around $100 if memory serves.).  He ended up getting them, liked them a lot, and has since moved on to a set of that company's wireless on ears.  They fold up for travelling, come with a carrying bag, and he seems comfortable wearing them around his neck when not in use.  So you might look like a young, upwardly mobile,...;)
You are not going to get real high fidelity while travelling.  So thinking more background listening, lost through misplacing or...,  and what works in sometimes noisy environments seems wise to me.  I do have a set of Mr Speakers Ether headphones.  But would never think of travelling with them.  Those earbuds or the Apple step up in ears are easily replaced, inexpensive, can be fairly sound blocking with the right tips, and might end up being my choice.  All that being said,  I have not traveled for several months at a time as you are suggesting.  Best of luck.

Best Regards,

Blu99Zoomer

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #11 on: 12 Aug 2017, 12:33 am »
Lokie,

How is the sound on your wife's 7?  How does it compare to other iPhone's you have heard?

Best,

Blu99Zoomer

JLM

« Reply #12 on: 24 Aug 2017, 11:51 am »
As fate would have it, my iPhone 4S as just started getting glitchy (punching various buttons causes the screen to go black temporarily and then returns two steps back from where I'd been).  Fortunately my carrier, (old fart Consumer Cellular via AARP) recently announced a $50 discount on the purchase of new smartphones.  Looking over their selection, low and behold I found that they carry iPhone SE for the unbelievable regular price of $160 (MSRP = $400).  So with the discount and shipping I'm paying less than 60% of what I paid 2+ years ago for an older refurbished phone with half the memory.

Thank you Consumer Cellular and AARP    :thumb:

And thank you Apple for wonderful products (including iCloud to connect with my iMac/MacBook) and a nearby very helpful store for support.

dB Cooper

« Reply #13 on: 24 Aug 2017, 02:17 pm »
I apologize if it came up before, but the Sennheiser PX-series headphones would be an even more travel-friendly choice than the heavy, uncomfortable Grados IMHO.

JLM, I assume for that price you're probably getting the discontinued 16GB model, or a refurb, or both. That won't store a lot of music, but there are lots of streaming options (the usual suspects, plus you can get an app like TuneIn or MyTuner and listen to web stations (Audiophile Jazz and Audiophile Classical stream 320K mp3 which sounds pretty good). I have also seen 128GB Wi-Fi thumb drives. Sounds like the macbook will be the 'vault' though.

JohnR

« Reply #14 on: 25 Aug 2017, 12:28 am »
I like my SE. Hopefully Apple will continue to make at least one model with a headphone jack... (the fact that it is the cheapest doesn't hurt either  :thumb:)

Since you (JLM) have Tidal, you can download albums onto the phone for "offline" listening (i.e. download while on Wifi, listen without using your mobile data)

JLM

« Reply #15 on: 25 Aug 2017, 11:19 am »
dB:  Thanks to advice above, I'll probably use my laptop with Meridian Explorer 2.  But I used Sennheisers 40 years ago (the bigger yellow ones) while living in the dorms.

JohnR:  Being far from tech savvy, I've yet to try Tidal, but it's definitely on my radar.

BTW my phone is supposed to be the 32 GB version.