McIntosh D150/MC152 Combo

Freo-1

McIntosh D150/MC152 Combo
« on: 21 Jul 2017, 11:17 pm »

I’ve always had a love/hate relationship with McIntosh gear.  Mac gear is both loved and hated, depending on one’s point of view.  In the past, the Mac gear I’ve owned had both great strengths and limitations.  The Mac systems of the past I owned had great clarity, but always sounded a bit on the dull side in the all important mid-range.  Ultimately, I always wound up selling the Mac gear and moving on. 

Recently, was able to pick up a McIntosh D150 for a price that was too good to pass up.  When I picked up the D150, decided that if it didn't work out, figured I cold sell it and not lose anything, as Mac always has excellent resale value. I also liked the fact that it had both fixed and variable output.  Since I was using a Benchmark DADC2-DX as a pre-amp, would occasionally forget that the volume was all the way up from the previous headphone listening session, which would result in a rather rude volume level when listening to speakers after using it with the headphone rig (KGSSHV Amp with Stax SR-007II phones).

Since I use this rig for headphone listening as well as speakers, initially auditioned the D150 with mostly the headphone rig. I was very pleasantly surprised at just how good the headphones sounded. The mid-range region took on a presence that was near life like with better recordings.  Bass was very full with authority,yet tight and natural sounding. The treble is where perhaps the largest difference was noticed. I have not heard treble from a digital source sound better than from this DAC. Instruments had a sonic character that sounded very realistic, especially piano and violins, which are among the most difficult to reproduce. The attack/decay of the individual instruments was incredible.

Based on the excellent performance of the D150, decided to seek out and obtain a McIntosh MC152.  I must say, the MC152 is an outstanding sounding amp.  I played a number of discs I'm very familiar with, and in each case, the playback was simply amazing.  I heard small details though the speakers that I had not known were there in the recordings.  The presentation was extremely well balanced, and the D150 proved to be a great match up with the MC152.  The mid-range playback from this combo is easily among the very best I’ve come across, as is the treble.  No solid state hardness whatsoever, just sweet music.  The bass is full and has tight definition.  I attribute this to a combination of all balanced circuitry, and the autoformers.

This D150/MC152 combo is the best setup I’ve heard from McIntosh to date.  While I’m sure the larger current generation of Mac amps can get even louder more cleanly, the MC152 drives the 85db ATC speakers with great ease.  I’ve read that the MC152 can put out 255 watts @ 8 ohms, even though it’s only rated at 150 watts.  I had a MC150 some time ago, and this is a huge step up from the MC150.

I was sufficiently impressed enough with this DAC that I sold the Benchmark, which is a outstanding DAC in it’s own right. Perhaps it’s just a synergy with the KGSSHV and headphones, but I am very impressed with the McIntosh D150 both as a DAC and a pre-amp.  Together with the MC152, an outstanding sounding playback setup.

In summary, very pleased with this setup. 

mr_bill

Re: McIntosh D150/MC152 Combo
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2017, 03:38 am »
Excellent comments, appreciate you sharing your experience.

hdspeakerman

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2017, 03:53 am »
I bought an MC2100 in 1975 and I loved it but I always wondered if there was something better.  I tried many different amplifiers but I always ended up selling them and going back.  I have finally stopped looking for my next amp.  Last year I had to have a few small capacitors replaced.  It was the first repair to amount to anything in 45 years.  I am glad you found  what you were looking for. 

Freo-1

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2017, 01:03 pm »
I bought an MC2100 in 1975 and I loved it but I always wondered if there was something better.  I tried many different amplifiers but I always ended up selling them and going back.  I have finally stopped looking for my next amp.  Last year I had to have a few small capacitors replaced.  It was the first repair to amount to anything in 45 years.  I am glad you found  what you were looking for.

Some sage wisdom you offer up here.  Many of us audiophiles (including myself) are always chasing the next big thing in this hobby.  However, I finally think I have a pair of systems that will be sticking around for the forseeable future.  The MC152 has several innovations that should keep it sounding great for many years to come.  Between the all balanceed circuitry, autoformers, and thermal tracking output transistors, the sound should remain outstanding for a long time. 

Archguy

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2017, 06:26 am »

Agreed...there is something awesome about this post.

Freo-1

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul 2017, 10:55 pm »
I continue to be amazed at just how good the DAC in the McIntosh D150 actually sounds.  This is especially true regarding the fixed output driving a KGSSHV electrostatic amp driving a pair of SR-007II Stax headphones.  I had been using a Benchmark DAC2-DX, which is a stellar performer in it's own right.  However, the D150 as a source has a mid-range presentation that can sound almost life like, instruments such as violin and piano sound seem to have very realistic resonance, with proportional rise and decay characteristics.  As good as the Benchmark is, the D150 just sounds more like actual music. 

The MC152 is easily the best sounding Mac amp I've heard to date.  McIntosh has really hit the mark with these products.   

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2017, 10:00 am »

Wonderful to read, thank you for posting about your experience. McIntosh has been making great gear, especially lately. I love to see the fruits of their labor pay off.

I continue to be amazed at just how good the DAC in the McIntosh D150 actually sounds.  This is especially true regarding the fixed output driving a KGSSHV electrostatic amp driving a pair of SR-007II Stax headphones.  I had been using a Benchmark DAC2-DX, which is a stellar performer in it's own right.  However, the D150 as a source has a mid-range presentation that can sound almost life like, instruments such as violin and piano sound seem to have very realistic resonance, with proportional rise and decay characteristics.  As good as the Benchmark is, the D150 just sounds more like actual music. 

The MC152 is easily the best sounding Mac amp I've heard to date.  McIntosh has really hit the mark with these products.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 13 Aug 2017, 07:01 pm »
I like integrated amps as the Mac, but what stay me away from this brand is his odd retro looks.
In the 70/80s the Mac custumer service was great.

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #8 on: 14 Aug 2017, 09:47 pm »

The retro looks appeal to me and friends of mine. Everyone like different styling but the sound is the most important to me.

I like integrated amps as the Mac, but what stay me away from this brand is his odd retro looks.
In the 70/80s the Mac custumer service was great.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 14 Aug 2017, 09:55 pm »
The retro looks appeal to me and friends of mine. Everyone like different styling but the sound is the most important to me.
Would you know how the current integrated solidstate Mac compare to the similar amps from the 1980s?

DogsPart2

« Reply #10 on: 14 Aug 2017, 10:22 pm »
I have the earlier version (same DAC), the D100 and it has impressed me since day one.

I use it with a SimAudio Transport through my system and as a stand alone headphone amp/pre amp as well.

Worth every penny, IMHO.

Freo-1

« Reply #11 on: 14 Aug 2017, 10:27 pm »
I have the earlier version (same DAC), the D100 and it has impressed me since day one.

I use it with a SimAudio Transport through my system and as a stand alone headphone amp/pre amp as well.

Worth every penny, IMHO.

Could not agree more.  It really stands out as a headphone source. 

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #12 on: 15 Aug 2017, 01:05 am »
I am sorry, but I am not as familiar as I should be with the older gear. I've only owned some of the more recent offerings and am looking to get back into McIntosh this year. I am sorry that I sold what I had. It really was wonderful but I did not truly appreciate what I had.

Would you know how the current integrated solidstate Mac compare to the similar amps from the 1980s?