VMPS Inventory for sale

Patrick Malaga

• Industry Participant
VMPS Inventory for sale
« on: 20 Aug 2013, 05:05 pm »
Dyna ribbons

As stated in my cl ad in the sf bay area, I have acquired:152 dyna ribbons,28 spiral tweeters ,58 cast 6 inch mid woofers,39 stamp frame mids,8 inch,10 inch and 12 inch woofers,15 inch frames, 1 case of neo panels,1 pr rmv60 complete and working well.34 bi pole cabinets,13 tower type cabinets,11 rm 30 cabinets,1 set of rm 60 cabinets ,60 plus LRC's cabinets, a few single cabinets like 626 and rm40.   I know it sounds like a little much but these drivers and cabinets can be sold in kit form for now,until I master a few x -over networks-I am working on getting the specs.  I have been building custom audio for 30 years and own a car audio shop called Sound Advice in El Sobrante.  This was the last of 3 storage units after the "plant" was closed. With a bit of assistance from Shirley,Brians wife I should be able to fill in some missing links and build some sets for clients.  Thank you
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2013, 09:24 pm by Patrick Malaga »

jman0413

Re: VMPS Inventory for sale
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2013, 03:15 am »
Hello do you have any 12" carbon fiber mega woofers in the items you bought ? If so I would be interested to purchase two or four. Please pm me at jbole67365@aol.com. Thank you.
John

ST86

« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2013, 02:22 pm »
Hi,

Do you have any Misco 12" drivers?  Misco Part number LC12W-8A.  Would be intersted in at least two drivers. 
What other model 12" drivers do you have?
Do you have any 12" passive radiators?
Looking for 12" driver and passive replacements for my Tower ii.

Edit:  Regarding the "39 stamp frame mids" do you know the driver size and what model they are for? May be interested in at least two if these mids are for Tower ii.

PM me please, or reply here.

Thanks,

Ed

ASCTLC

« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2013, 08:32 pm »
Sorry if I'm a little overwhelmed by the model numbers and such.  Can you tell me if there's any possibility of all the components there to build me a set of Tower IIs.  I couldn't even begin to express what a level of gratitude I'd feel if you had them to replace the pristine condition pair I lost in the fire recently!!

Thank you,
Andy

Patrick Malaga

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2013, 04:16 pm »
Thanks for the interest !  JMan ( I have some carbon fiber 12's but not sure if they are mega woofers? Please provide me a part number.I noticed these carbon fiber woofers were 4 ohm.      To ST86  I only have one brand new Misco lc12w-8a    , I do have a similiar woofer but it is double stacked Part # 00c 12w-8a.  I do have 3 cases of 12 inch carbon fiber woofers # x5599   (no dustcaps).  To ASCTLC  I regretably do not have the parts to build tower II s   , however I do have some tower speakers (1 x 10 on bottom,3 fst,s and 1 x 10 inch woofer up top) , I have seen images of these coupled with a vertical column of neopanels.

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2013, 08:16 pm »
Hi All,

Just a note regarding parts.  Make sure you know what part of part number you need.  I spoke with Patrick the other day, and he is not up to speed on all our VMPS terms and lingo.

So make sure you know what you want "specifically", since as most of you know, Brian used to move quickly from one driver to the next, and it is hard to get a handle on that in all cases.

You should get a picture of the part first to see if there are any visible differences, then manufacturer and part numbers can seal the deal.

You can always contact me, if you have questions (but then there are areas of which I don't know either)

ST86

« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2013, 02:01 pm »
Thanks Patrick.

Is that 00c 12w-8a woofer a Misco woofer?  I can't find that part number on their website but I did find this:

http://miscospeakers.com/speakers/OOC12W-8B

I don't understand "double stacked".  Please explain.
What brand are the 5599 woofers?
And lastly, can you give more info on the 39 stamped fame mids?  Brand and part number if you have it? 

I know there's lots of questions.  I am looking to replace the 12" woofers and 5" mids in my Tower ii.  The brand and part number info helps me find spec sheets for the drivers.

Please send price for the Misco lc12w-8a.  Either here or PM me.

Regards,

Ed

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #7 on: 23 Aug 2013, 05:29 pm »
...I do have some tower speakers (1 x 10 on bottom,3 fst,s and 1 x 10 inch woofer up top) , I have seen images of these coupled with a vertical column of neopanels.

No such animal. 

The closest VMPS model meeting the description above is FF2 SRE (Special Ribbon Edition): three holes horizontally centered in close vertical alignment at ear height are for three spiral planar tweeters.  BC and designer Genesis labeled these "spiral ribbons" but technically a ribbon is defined by the existence if a transformer.  No VMPS employed three FST ("Free Swinging Tweeter") a term BC employed because the term "ribbon" was already assigned to the spiral planar tweeters.

IIRC the FF2 SRE mid range panel, approximately 50" long and attached to the side of the tower, was a true ribbon with a transformer, hence the term "Special Ribbon Edition" was accurate.  The next and last FF2 was identical except a row of Neo planar panels replaced the single true ribbon.

The FF2 mid range employed just prior to SRE were so-called "Dynaribbons" but again, as there was no transformer, these are not ribbons.  Just prior to the "Dynaribbon" was the original FF2 series with regular cone mid range, primarily or exclusively WCF Versa Tronics brand sourced from Asia. 

Over FF series lifetime tweeter array evolved from dual Focal inverted dome small magnet Kevlar flanking planar super tweeter (no likey) to dual Scan Speak (my suggestion) flanking planar (better) to three spiral planar in a row.  IIRC all true ribbon mid and Neo planar mids employed three spiral planar tweeters. 

I disliked all Dynaribbon models for too much upper mid low treble energy.  Maybe re-worked with a LP series coil added to the Dynaribbons would work.         

A planar has a conductive material (voice coil) atop a non-conductive substrate (plastic, etc) which is the diaphragm.  The resulting voice coil resistance is high enough to directly couple to an amplifier.  A true ribbon is distinguished by a one-piece combination conductive diaphragm and voice coil, with resulting resistance so low that it requires an impedance matching transformer to couple to a power amplifier.

The first and current large Heil Air Motion Transformer is a true folded ribbon as identified by the transformer.  Smaller AMT drivers appearing on many modern speaker designs (Legacy, GoldenEar, Adam, Heil, etc, etc) have no transformer and are hence folded planar types, not true ribbons.       

Stimpy

« Reply #8 on: 23 Aug 2013, 09:42 pm »
I've seen pictures describing what Patrick mentioned.  I 'think' it was a custom variation of the FF3 SRE.  Probably after Brian switched from BG panels, to the Sonigistix Neo, resulting in not too many of the FF3 SRE Neo speakers.  There was even a pair on Audiogon once, where the owner stated his speakers were custom modded by Brian, and from his pictures, it would have matched Patrick's "animal".

From what I remember, at least...Something like this:

Combined with this:

Where the BG was replaced with the Neo Panels, in the 2nd picture.

Hope this helps!

I do have some tower speakers (1 x 10 on bottom,3 fst,s and 1 x 10 inch woofer up top) , I have seen images of these coupled with a vertical column of neopanels.

No such animal. 

The closest VMPS model meeting the description above is FF2 SRE (Special Ribbon Edition): three holes horizontally centered in close vertical alignment at ear height are for three spiral planar tweeters.  BC and designer Genesis labeled these "spiral ribbons" but technically a ribbon is defined by the existence if a transformer.  No VMPS employed three FST ("Free Swinging Tweeter") a term BC employed because the term "ribbon" was already assigned to the spiral planar tweeters.

IIRC the FF2 SRE mid range panel, approximately 50" long and attached to the side of the tower, was a true ribbon with a transformer, hence the term "Special Ribbon Edition" was accurate.  The next and last FF2 was identical except a row of Neo planar panels replaced the single true ribbon.

The FF2 mid range employed just prior to SRE were so-called "Dynaribbons" but again, as there was no transformer, these are not ribbons.  Just prior to the "Dynaribbon" was the original FF2 series with regular cone mid range, primarily or exclusively WCF Versa Tronics brand sourced from Asia. 

Over FF series lifetime tweeter array evolved from dual Focal inverted dome small magnet Kevlar flanking planar super tweeter (no likey) to dual Scan Speak (my suggestion) flanking planar (better) to three spiral planar in a row.  IIRC all true ribbon mid and Neo planar mids employed three spiral planar tweeters. 

I disliked all Dynaribbon models for too much upper mid low treble energy.  Maybe re-worked with a LP series coil added to the Dynaribbons would work.         

A planar has a conductive material (voice coil) atop a non-conductive substrate (plastic, etc) which is the diaphragm.  The resulting voice coil resistance is high enough to directly couple to an amplifier.  A true ribbon is distinguished by a one-piece combination conductive diaphragm and voice coil, with resulting resistance so low that it requires an impedance matching transformer to couple to a power amplifier.

The first and current large Heil Air Motion Transformer is a true folded ribbon as identified by the transformer.  Smaller AMT drivers appearing on many modern speaker designs (Legacy, GoldenEar, Adam, Heil, etc, etc) have no transformer and are hence folded planar types, not true ribbons.     

jman0413

« Reply #9 on: 24 Aug 2013, 04:10 am »
Patrick here are the numbers on my 12" carbon fiber woofers.  X 5419
                                                                                               1056   9523
Please let me know if you have any. Thanks.
Jman0413

Patrick Malaga

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 24 Aug 2013, 07:26 pm »
Jman- looks like the only x 5419's I have( 7 of them) are used. Some have a sound deadening membrane applied(like dynamat),some have the putty added,and none have dust caps or difraction cones(easily constructed) . The only differance between those and the other carbon fiber woofers is the impedance(x5419's are 8 ohm-the others 4 ohm). We all know 2   4 ohm speakers in series ends up around 8 ohms,so I am sure Brian had uses for each.  Thank you  I hope this helps.......and by the way the used woofers will be inexpensive.

Patrick Malaga

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 24 Aug 2013, 07:39 pm »
To ST86     "Stamped " simply means stamped from a flat sheet of metal as opposed to "cast" which is usually aluminum poured into a sand cast mold and producing a much stiffer frame. Look at B&C , EV, Gauss ect....  With that being said, Cast speakers are usually higher end,however there are lots of great sounding stamped mids. The term "Double Stacked" simply pertains to the stacked magnets providing more weight and holding power.   Lastly..... price for a brand new misco sub should be around $ 100.00, remember it will require a dustcap or diffuser(Brian shaped domed dowels for these).  As far as mids go I only have one used 5 inch midrange, everything else is 6 inch or bigger.  I do have 15 single voice coil 40 oz. magnet 12's (cheap).  Thanks for the response.  I also have prototypes,onsies,twosies and alot of obscure speakers and cabinets,yes they were all designed by Brian and built by one of 2 or 3 mfg ers that he used.  The RM60's are beautiful and I can't believe I have not sold them yet.  Many of the boxes are unmarked ,and I understand some of the speakers were built to his specs-therefor a part number may not be under a standard listing. Cheers

Patrick Malaga

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 24 Aug 2013, 07:44 pm »
To James Romeyn, I appreciate your input and clarity regarding what drivers are utilized in these towers I have.  I would like to just sell the cabinets and let a VMPSer complete them to his or Brians specs. I do not know much history about these,but can confirm they are a brand new (maybe old stock)VMPS speaker cabinet. This I feel, is a great starting point for a diy er. I have several sets of speakers up and playing and am adjusting x-over points for best results.  Thanks

Patrick Malaga

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 24 Aug 2013, 07:55 pm »
Here are some specific part numbers  Cast 6 inch mids: KSC # 20010314  p/n 330-0156    ksc  po 223708.  Stamped 6 inch mids : po 40721   dob 165r-pp/8nsc   .    8 inch   : 9026774/76253       

Stimpy

« Reply #14 on: 25 Aug 2013, 12:09 am »
Hi Patrick,

Just curious, will there be available a complete parts list, with pricing?  Or, for me at least, I'd also like to have a list of which models of pairs of cabinets are available?  I'd like to maybe DIY a VMPS, if I could pick up a set of cabinets!  Maybe, if you could, PM the prices?

Thanks for your efforts,

Stimpy

Oh yea, can your inventory be added to the parts list thread?  I'd be nice to have all parts together in that one thread!

jman0413

« Reply #15 on: 25 Aug 2013, 02:22 am »
Patrick mine have the wooden phase plugs, is that what yours have as well ? These are for my Tower II SE's so I wonder if James or John Cassler could tell me which ones I should purchase, the ones with putty (thought Brian only put putty on the Passive Radiator not active drivers) or the ones with the sound deadening stuff on them. Please advise as I would want to have the original model not the 4 ohm ones. If they all have phase plugs please tell me how many of each you have. If they are used I would want assurance that they are fully functional without issues. Thanks.
Jman0413

ST86

« Reply #16 on: 26 Aug 2013, 04:22 pm »
Patrick,

Those mids don't seem to be the right ones for my Tower ii.  The 12" drivers with the 40 oz magnets might work though.  Both Tower ii cabinets would require two 12" drivers.  Of all the 12" replacement drivers in the VMPS arsenal I don't know which ones would be "appropriate" for the Tower ii except for the Misco LC12W-8A.  Is there any way to find out where those 12" drivers with the 40 oz magnet were used?  Manufacturer and part number?

Thanks,

Ed

rbbert

« Reply #17 on: 1 Sep 2013, 11:39 pm »
Hi Patrick,

Do you have any Misco OOC10W-8B upper woofers for the RM-40?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 2 Sep 2013, 03:46 am »
I've seen pictures describing what Patrick mentioned.  I 'think' it was a custom variation of the FF3 SRE.  Probably after Brian switched from BG panels, to the Sonigistix Neo, resulting in not too many of the FF3 SRE Neo speakers.  There was even a pair on Audiogon once, where the owner stated his speakers were custom modded by Brian, and from his pictures, it would have matched Patrick's "animal".

From what I remember, at least...Something like this:

Combined with this:

Where the BG was replaced with the Neo Panels, in the 2nd picture.

Hope this helps!

First image tweeters are hidden, so no comment. 

Second image tweeters are what I described, three Genesis designed spiral planar tweeters wrongly called "ribbons" by Brian and many others.  Patrick wrote "3 fst" free swinging tweeters, not shown in your images.

There's more reason Patrick's description is wrong.  I know no FF enclosure arrived from the cabinet shop cut for three true ribbons (AKA "FST").  So if such exists, Brian cut it later for special order reasons.  But frankly, even Brian would not suggest employing three true ribbons.  He would suggest one and plug the other holes as was his frequent custom.  Even the RM60 Wing with many Neo mids (6?) employed only one true ribbon tweeter. 

So why would Brian have such a freak strange FF2 enclosure cut for "3 fst" laying around the plant?  A: He wouldn't.   

I built and owned most VMPS models including FF2 SRE/BG (not neos) with Curl's LP VMPS crossover, which, surprise, had three spiral planar tweeters.  This particular par died in a flood about a year ago. 

nife5730

« Reply #19 on: 4 Sep 2013, 05:16 am »
Hello Patrick
You didnt mention any but I will ask anywhere. Do you have any 15" passive radiators as used in the original subwoofer?
Thanks
Oliver