Hot Headphone Deals!!

rif

• Not a cowboy or a dog owner
Re: Hot Headphone Deals!!
« Reply #240 on: 13 Oct 2017, 07:52 pm »
There is a offer at HifiMan site:
HE400i Refurbished-New Version
A Full-size Planar Magnetic Headphone Intended for High Performance Listening in the Home or Studio
Availability: In stock
Regular Price: $499.00
Special Price: $229

http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/he-400i-546.html

While not a Hot Deal HifiMan showed a new HP called Sundara-whatever it means at the CamJan last week 6-9OCT.

A new pair is only $20 more, so unless you're on a tight budget, I don't think it's worth dealing with a refurb.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • All Tweeters look like a target, then shoot them!
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #241 on: 13 Oct 2017, 08:27 pm »
A new pair is only $20 more, so unless you're on a tight budget, I don't think it's worth dealing with a refurb.
I would email them offer $150 or $180 max for that refurb.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #242 on: 5 Nov 2017, 08:52 pm »
Music Direct has brand new AudioQuest Nighthawk Wood Headphones on sale for $299.00.
A 50% discount from the regular $600.00.

Link

dalethorn

• Headphone: Blue Mic Ella; Amp: AQ Dragonfly Red.
    • DaleThorn
« Reply #243 on: 6 Nov 2017, 05:20 pm »
Music Direct has brand new AudioQuest Nighthawk Wood Headphones on sale for $299.00.
A 50% discount from the regular $600.00.

That seems like a good deal, if(!) it's really brand new and 100 percent genuine.  It's a dynamic-type driver with a unique construction, so it has lots of potential.  The NightHawk that I had was ultra-warm and needed EQ to come up to near-neutral (i.e. how things sound without headphones), so I'd recommend a solid state amp with enough power to tighten up the bass really well.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • All Tweeters look like a target, then shoot them!
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #244 on: 6 Nov 2017, 07:36 pm »
The NightHawk that I had was ultra-warm
I would like this HP, its not defect for me.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #245 on: 7 Nov 2017, 10:57 pm »
I like the Nighthawk with their newer ultrasuede pads. The original pads not so much.

dalethorn

• Headphone: Blue Mic Ella; Amp: AQ Dragonfly Red.
    • DaleThorn
« Reply #246 on: 7 Nov 2017, 11:09 pm »
I like the Nighthawk with their newer ultrasuede pads. The original pads not so much.

When I finally get the sound I like from a headphone, if the pads wear and become unusable (or the sound changes), I need to get the same exact pads for replacement.  I avoid 3rd party pads because they typically don't maintain the exact same spec from year to year, sample to sample.

The other thing I notice with earpads is, if they're porous, they will absorb sweat and body oils and the sound changes much sooner than with pleather or other non-porous materials.  Many people complain about the non-porous pads because they tend to be hotter in warm environments, or are generally uncomfortable for some people.

I only mention these things to put out the factors that are highest priority for me, mainly maintaining the same exact sound over a length of time.