VDA-2 Slightly Fatiguing

viggen

Re: VDA-2 Slightly Fatiguing
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jun 2012, 04:15 am »
What does the rest of your system look like?  Maybe a simple interconnect change can fix things assuming you're not already using a really mellow sounding cable like Cardas already.

I've very good experience whenever I add upgraded PS to whatever component from DACs to turntable motors.  However, I didn't like what VAC1 did to VDA1.  The VDA1 already sounded a bit too intense for me.  The VAC1 made the sound even more intense. 

jlafrenz

« Reply #21 on: 17 Jun 2012, 04:33 am »
What does the rest of your system look like?  Maybe a simple interconnect change can fix things assuming you're not already using a really mellow sounding cable like Cardas already.

I've very good experience whenever I add upgraded PS to whatever component from DACs to turntable motors.  However, I didn't like what VAC1 did to VDA1.  The VDA1 already sounded a bit too intense for me.  The VAC1 made the sound even more intense. 

Antique Sound Lab 1003DT amp (Mullard and Sylvania tubes)
Aurum Cantus Monitor 1 speakers
Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 interconnects

I sold off some Audioquest cables that I think would have nice with this system. I do also have some DNM Reason cables with Eichman Bullet's on them that I have been meaning to try out.

That's now another person who states that the VAC-1 may only increase what I am hearing as opposed to being a solution. Makes me think a little. Still might be worth a try for myself though.

CIAudio

« Reply #22 on: 17 Jun 2012, 06:05 am »
VAC-1 is a higher current supply designed to improve performance from compatible products. In comparison to the included AC adapter there are several differences.

The standard supply uses a smallish (850mA) transformer, no filtering, and a longer (higher impedance) output cable.

VAC-1 uses a high quality 1.44A transformer with lower output impedance. It contains some mild filtering on both input(capacitor) and output(ferrite beads). In addition, it also uses a much shorter output cable for a lower impedance connection... the combined result is better dynamics and lower overall noise floor.

As was mentioned in a previous post, the rectification, DC filtering, and regulation, are contained within the product being powered.

In systems where you are trying to get the best performance out of the product, VAC-1 will allow this.

System matching/synergy is another "can of worms"...
In many cases, we are compensating for a trait of one product with the trait of another. For example... a bright sounding speaker might be paired with a warmer sounding component to get a better overall tonal balance.

Most find the VAC-1 to be an improvement, but I doubt it would help in this situation... I would look more at cable and tube changes.
« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2012, 12:56 pm by CIAudio »

audioferret

« Reply #23 on: 17 Jun 2012, 08:10 pm »
My ASL amp is pretty neutral sounding...

Have you tried swapping in a different pair of speakers to isolate the problem?  If I research right, the ribbon tweeter on that speaker can be very revealing, and may be highlighting other issues in the chain.  Try a nice set of headphones with the DAC and see if you are hearing the same fatigue. 

jlafrenz

« Reply #24 on: 17 Jun 2012, 09:47 pm »
Have you tried swapping in a different pair of speakers to isolate the problem?  If I research right, the ribbon tweeter on that speaker can be very revealing, and may be highlighting other issues in the chain.  Try a nice set of headphones with the DAC and see if you are hearing the same fatigue. 

I have other speakers, but not ones that will be an easy swap. No headphones either.

jlafrenz

« Reply #25 on: 17 Jun 2012, 11:26 pm »
What kind of cables would you guys suggest to remedy my situation?

I am already on the hunt for some more tubes, too.

OzarkTom

« Reply #26 on: 18 Jun 2012, 12:26 am »
Are you using a Mac Mini for the playback source?

jlafrenz

« Reply #27 on: 18 Jun 2012, 01:12 am »
Are you using a Mac Mini for the playback source?

Nope. Windows. Using an AudioTrak Prodidgy HD2 with ASIO out of optical to the VDA-2.

OzarkTom

« Reply #28 on: 18 Jun 2012, 02:37 am »
Nope. Windows. Using an AudioTrak Prodidgy HD2 with ASIO out of optical to the VDA-2.

I was having some hardness poblems with my Mac Mini. I thought my DAC had still not broken in fully. But after replacing the stock power cord with something more substantial, the hardness disappeaed.

jlafrenz

« Reply #29 on: 18 Jun 2012, 02:54 am »
Is this with the VAC-1?

jlafrenz

« Reply #30 on: 23 Jun 2012, 07:18 pm »
What kind of cables would you guys suggest to remedy my situation?

No suggestions?

martinr

« Reply #31 on: 7 Jul 2012, 06:28 pm »
For me the VAC 1 upgrade made a huge improvement.  I use a granite audio optical cable which provides what I think is a lot of inner detail.

Cardas cables have a reputation of reducing harshness.

- Good luck