Zu dropped the dirty weekend

SDMF_Mark

Zu dropped the dirty weekend
« on: 8 Dec 2021, 09:21 pm »
They say they are losing money on it… too bad.

genjamon

Re: Zu dropped the dirty weekend
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2021, 10:39 pm »
I've always wondered how they could afford to make it.  It is/was off-the-charts value at $1k. 

wushuliu

« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2021, 11:19 pm »
I've definitely noticed a healthy increase in speaker driver costs lately. Perhaps that's a factor.

djpk

« Reply #3 on: 9 Dec 2021, 02:53 am »
I feel fortunate that I purchased my Omen DWs before they were discontinued. VERY nice speakers.

RonN5

« Reply #4 on: 9 Dec 2021, 03:31 pm »
Their website says....Not available until further notice. Price subject to change.  So, are they dropped or is Zu taking a pause to assess the real demand and determine and new price...and give themselves a chance to catch up on the backlog of other speakers?

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2021, 03:59 pm »
Their website says....Not available until further notice. Price subject to change.  So, are they dropped or is Zu taking a pause to assess the real demand and determine and new price...and give themselves a chance to catch up on the backlog of other speakers?

From an email…

mick wolfe

« Reply #6 on: 9 Dec 2021, 05:07 pm »
Yeah, I'm glad I bought a pair a few yrs. back.  I too wondered how they could deliver a speaker that not only was a great all-arounder sonically, but with excellent fit/finish in a wood veneer to boot. Although it was designed to entice people to move up the Zu line-up, I'm sure way too many felt it was a good fit for their needs having no desire to look any further. Maybe they kinda cut their own throat in that regard, but that's just total speculation on my part.  Perhaps their best option at this point is to make the Omen II the entry level speaker with a basic stripped down model at $1999, but then offering options going up to the current $2349 full list price. Once again, total speculation on my part.

RonN5

« Reply #7 on: 9 Dec 2021, 05:39 pm »
I wonder if such a good low priced speaker cannibalized their more expensive speaker sales?  If you look at the Tekton Lore which the Dirty Weekend was so often compared to, Tekton provides a bunch of options which I'm sure a lot of people take that get the speaker up to $1400 or $2000 pretty quickly...yet without the tweeter/midrange array, it doesn't really compete with their other pricier options.

Hopefully at $2k, the new Zu entry speaker is actually a step up from the Dirty Weekend.

genjamon

« Reply #8 on: 9 Dec 2021, 08:09 pm »
I would think they would shoot for another speaker in the $1k-$1500 range, just with cheaper cabinet/finish and probably a lower cost tweeter.  ODW originally had cheaper full range and tweeter drivers, but they eventually upgraded them to the same as the full Omen II.  If they offer a new speaker around $2k, I would think that would be too close to the Omen II to make sense.  Like Mick, I would think they'd want to draw more daylight between the performance of their entry-level performer and the Omen II and their higher offerings. A nice taste of what Zu brings, but less of a full tasting than the ODW offered.  But then again, I know nothing of actually running this type of business.

jtcf

« Reply #9 on: 9 Dec 2021, 08:42 pm »
I always thought of the DW as a "loss leader", A break even product to entice you into the fold for a different better performing model. I almost bought a pair myself several times, but ended up going for the Omen Def instead. It will be interesting to see what they come up with for their entry level offering. Maybe the DW will be offered occasionally as a limited edition model.