LS100 w/phono stage...tube usage question

mraudio

LS100 w/phono stage...tube usage question
« on: 24 Jun 2012, 08:36 pm »
I have a LS100 with the optional tube phono stage.  If I am not using the phono stage, do the phono tubes still have use or do they only come on if you have the OPT input selected?

I have quite a bit of time on the actual unit, but haven't really used the phono stage that much, (I have 3 other seperate phono stages).  So if the 5AR4 and the 6SN7 tubes of my LS100 have say 1000 hours on them, do the phono tubes also have that much?

I'm thinking that maybe the phono stage itself only has power to it when you select the OPT input, but maybe not, that's why I'm asking.

Thanks!!!

srb

Re: LS100 w/phono stage...tube usage question
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2012, 10:57 pm »
I would be very surprised if the phono tubes are not always powered, however depending on the circuit design it may be possible to remove the tubes if you're not going to use the phono stage, but Dan would have to verify if that is a possiblity or not.

Steve

dminches

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2012, 11:02 pm »
I think it would be disastrous to have the card inserted without the tubes.  My guess is that the tubes do not get much use if you aren't using the phono input.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2012, 11:33 pm »
I'm sure Dan will chime in, BUT.....

I purchased a demo LS100 w/phono stage. I told Dan that my TT wasn't going to even get connected for awhile. He advised me to leave the tubes OUT (off the board) and save some hours until I actually needed them.

dminches

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2012, 11:44 pm »
With the board inserted in the slot?  Interesting.

modwright

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jul 2012, 06:47 pm »
Yes, without tubes in the phono stage, if you are not going to be using it, it will not draw any current and will not effect the rest of the linestages operation.  Everything is voltage regulated, so no issues.

Thanks,

Dan