Dac 10 fuse

Genez

Re: Dac 10 fuse
« Reply #20 on: 28 Feb 2018, 06:38 pm »
That's not US dollars.   Where do you live?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #21 on: 28 Feb 2018, 06:49 pm »
That's not US dollars.   Where do you live?

Canada, and the ebay listing works out to be more than $30 cheaper with shipping (to my place) factored in.

Genez

« Reply #22 on: 28 Feb 2018, 07:45 pm »
As long as they are not only showing you a picture of the Hi Fi Tuning fuse 'Supreme?'   And,  not selling a Hi Fi Tuning fuse 'gold?'  Then,  its a better price.    Because the "Gold" sells for the price you were looking at.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #23 on: 28 Feb 2018, 08:09 pm »
The ad states very clearly... "Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme 20mm x 5mm Fuse - 2.5A (F)" In fact the ad says "Supreme" several times throughout the ad ... and the seller has perfect feedback.

So I placed an order. No sure what to expect though; my DAC-10 has over 3000 hours on it now, so I think it's safe to say it is broken in.  :lol:

Genez

« Reply #24 on: 28 Feb 2018, 08:37 pm »

So I placed an order. No sure what to expect though; my DAC-10 has over 3000 hours on it now, so I think it's safe to say it is broken in.  :lol:

Perfect time to try a good fuse. For you know how your DAC sounds consistently.   Just remember to try the fuse in both directions to see which sounds best.

dburna

« Reply #25 on: 28 Feb 2018, 11:40 pm »
Windchaser, I have a DAC10 and will be watching your "field report" with great interest.

-dGB

Wind Chaser

« Reply #26 on: 1 Mar 2018, 05:09 pm »
Well, I am a bit skeptical about all the claims they make...

“Hi-Fi Tuning of Berlin-Germany has released a new highest performing version of their industry-leading fuses called "Supreme". The latest development of HiFi-Tuning from Germany is the unplated "Supreme" fuse. More speed, dynamics, enhanced clarity, improved three-dimensionality results from the outstanding fuse materials, an alloy from 99% pure silver and 1% pure gold, tip-to-tip, caps and burn-wire! The anti-resonant ceramic fuse body is retained - inside the ceramic body is an additional anti-resonance tube, and of course HiFi-Tuning is the only fuse manufacturer capable of producing fuses with a silver/gold alloy burn wire. Why is this important? Because in all other upgrade fuses, the copper-based burn wire will degrade over time due to oxidation - silver oxide is a good conductor. And of course all HiFi-Tuning fuses are deep cryo treated!”

rustydoglim

« Reply #27 on: 2 Mar 2018, 03:56 am »
 :duh:
"More speed, dynamics, enhanced clarity, improved three-dimensionality" WTF ? 
No wonder high-end audio is dead.

Genez

« Reply #28 on: 2 Mar 2018, 04:39 am »
Its system dependent....   I could change a fuse in one system and nothing will be noticed.   In another system it will be evident and beneficial.  There are too many variables involved to think just one tweak works the same with every system. 

That is why these arguments go nowhere.   Each person has to find out for himself.   If he wants to.

Hi end audio is dying (to some extent) because hi quality music is no longer being produced.  Its hard to find.

All we seem to get today is mostly politically correct musicianship.  Or,  too raunchy to grace the speakers of a fine system.  There are no more musicians who perform with a twinkle in their eye.  People have been brainwashed by political correctness for too long.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #29 on: 2 Mar 2018, 05:13 am »
I try to be reasonably open minded. I'll try almost anything once, twice if I like it. 

I have yet to hear a power cord make anything I would call a real improvement. A fuse is kind a of like a power cord in the sense it's a conduit for raw power. To my mind if the power that flows through it is a problem, I don't see how a power cord or a fuse can correct that. But as I said, I'll try almost anything once, so we'll see what happens. The fuse should arrive somewhere between 03/07 and 03/14.

rustydoglim

« Reply #30 on: 2 Mar 2018, 09:50 am »
Just to be clear, I am annoyed by products with outrageous claims but in no way disrespect to Genez's observation and comment. I have exchanged a lot of emails with him for various stuff, and he is one of the most knowledgeable audiophile I have known and respect.

Genez, keep up the good work.  :thumb:

Genez

« Reply #31 on: 2 Mar 2018, 04:01 pm »
Thanks,  Jason! 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #32 on: 2 Mar 2018, 04:13 pm »
Its system dependent....   I could change a fuse in one system and nothing will be noticed.   In another system it will be evident and beneficial.  There are too many variables involved to think just one tweak works the same with every system.

Are you suggesting that the DAC-10 in two different systems (with this fuse in both DAC-10’s) could make a difference in one and not the other? If so, how so?

Genez

« Reply #33 on: 2 Mar 2018, 04:37 pm »
Are you suggesting that the DAC-10 in two different systems (with this fuse in both DAC-10’s) could make a difference in one and not the other? If so, how so?

If someone's system is not transparent to begin with?  Tweaks mean little. Lots of people listen to systems that are dull sounding compared to real music.  Or, way too sharp.  Those who learn how to set up properly and worked towards transparency, will benefit the most from the tweaks.

Many apparently have no idea that speaker polarity will make a difference in what's heard. But, its good to pursue only if the system is phase coherent to reveal it.

In the mean time.    Try the fuse.   :D   Audio is a discipline that requires gaining an education... one lesson at a time.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #34 on: 2 Mar 2018, 04:50 pm »
If someone's system is not transparent to begin with?  Tweaks mean little. Lots of people listen to systems that are dull sounding compared to real music.  Or, way too sharp.  Those who learn how to set up properly and worked towards transparency, will benefit the most from the tweaks.

Okay, that’s good to know. I will report what I find in due course.