30 Days with the Bryston BDA-1 DAC ...vs. NAD M5

KnowTalent

• ...stuck in the middle with you
30 Days with the Bryston BDA-1 DAC ...vs. NAD M5
« on: 2 Apr 2009, 09:22 pm »
Read my comments on the NAD M5 to see what I run for system components, cable, power conditioning, yada yada....

I ran the BDA-1 via the AES-EBU from my M5 using a Kimber Orchid Illuminations digital cable.
I listened for one month...alternating with the M5...both running to the Parasound JC 2.

Outputs are rated fairly similarly so I don't think switching back and forth skewed my listening observations to any great degree.

First off, straight out of the box the BDA-1 will impress you with "TIGHT" bass lines and overall toe-tapping PRaT when compared to the M5 which is definately more laid back in its sonic presentation.

The resolution of the BDA-1 exceeds that of the M5 in areas of cymbal decay, nails on steel strings, etc... as the M5 seems to have a slight, but noticeable, haze when you're actively focused on listening for low level details. I don't know if this was due to the BDA-1 utilizing two DACs, having lower jitter or a bit of both over the M5?

Soundstagewise I think the BDA-1 slightly edges the M5 in width and instrument/performer separation while both create an equal sense of depth which is probably more dependent on speaker placement and room acoustics.

On the clinical vs. romantic scale (as described in the M5 review) I'd rank the BDA-1 hitting the sweet spot projecting a perfect balance of detail retrieval while maintaining all the emotion the recording is capable of offering.  The M5 remains tilted toward the soft, warm and slightly fuzzy side of the spectrum and thus while offering many hours of fatigue free listening...it never excites. Even with the fence-walking act, the BDA-1 can also be listened to for hours without "ear-burn".

Getting back to the comment on PRaT, the BDA-1 has the capability of making you jump out of your socks with explosive orchestral solo transitions to tuttis.  A certain jazz piece also just about put the cat on the ceiling when the sax player entered stage right with a powerful BLAT for the first note!
I listened with upsampling engaged and disengaged and found I much preferred listening with no upsampling as the sound was "fuller" with no noticeable loss in resolution.  With upsampling engaged I found the sound to sound slightly "thinner" with perhaps a slightly diminished bass and sense of PRaT...

In the end the BDA-1 playback reminded me most of the smooth character and fine resolution of my good old Arcam FMJ CD23 but with a serious kick-in-the-pants regarding the portrayal of low freq bass/drum work and immediacy in terms of PRaT and dynamics. In fact, when I said the M5 was like a slightly hazy AR CD3 I would say the playback of the BDA-1 is VERY close to what you get with the old CD3.  I'd bet it would be VERY difficult to discern differences between the two if you listened A/B with matched output levels.

Quality of construction is EXCELLENT!!!

If you have a older player to use as a transport and/or looking for a USB-capable DAC...and don't want to spend over $2000... I'd definately recommend you give the BDA-1 a listen :thumb:
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2010, 05:23 pm by KnowTalent »