Teac AI-301DA - first impressions

lmartu

• Shure SRH1540 HP's iDSD nano & Teac AI-301DA AMP/DAC
Teac AI-301DA - first impressions
« on: 19 Jan 2015, 11:09 am »
Hello everyone, I have been using this DAC/AMP for a few weeks now and would like to share some brief first impressions.

Specs link:  http://www.teac.com/product/ai-301da/

- Features 9/10: Has everything but the kitchen sink! For this price (around 400 euros) it really has a lot going for it: Optical, Coaxial & Usb 2 Digtal inputs. 2 line level inputs and Bluetooth with APT-X. Decodes up to 5.6mhz DSD and 32/192 PCM over the USB connection. 60+60 W (4 ohm) digital ICEpower amplifier (22+22w 8 ohm RMS). IR  Remote and Headphone out.

- Build Quality: 8.5/10:  all round sturdy aluminium construction, nice and heavy with good feet, does not move when plugging and unplugging headphones. Speaker bindings posts ok, but a little small (due mostly to the overall small size of the amp itself). Motorized volume control dial is smooth but a tad stiff (not "silky smooth"). Remote control is a little flimsy, with rubber keys, not up to the build quality of the amp.

- Looks 9/10: Judge by yourself but I think it looks great!

- Setup 10/10: Over the USB link just plug and play with my iMac, Windows may need drivers though.

- Sound Quality with speakers 8.5/10: I am using this little guy to power a pair of B&W 685 S2 speakers rated at 25-100W 8 ohm 87db efficiency. While these speakers seem to be a bit too large for the power rating of the amp, I found no problems filling a 15 sq mt room with sound. How is this sound? This combo (to my ears at least) sounds clean and close to neutral, Bass is tight and non invasive, mids are slightly elevated, and highs just a little rolled off. Dynamics are strong, over a variety of music genres, both classical and modern. I have noticed that on a lot of Hires material (both PCM and DSD) the volume dial has to be turned up over half way to get some OOMPF! I can't determine if this is due to how the volume dial is weighted, or if i'ts just my material which has a low recording level. I would not recommend this combo to folks who like a "Fun" sound.

- Sound Quality with headphones: 7.5/10: I am using both Sony MDR 7506 and Shure SRH-1540. The HP amp is not very powerful in absolute terms (100+100mw), but it had no problem driving both my headphohes. The volume dial "issue" that I found with the speakers, remains here too: I always found myself turning the volume up past halfway to get to the level I am used to listening music to (though at 46  I may be getting deaf!). The sound from the headphone amp didn't really impress me. There was nothing "wrong" with it, but I found that at my listening levels, the high range seems to get a little harsh, a trait that I don't appreciate all that much. I am getting 2 new headphones amps so I will be able to conduct a comparison later on.

- Overall: 8.5/10: Great value, full of features and great sound from speakers. Loses some points as a heaphone amp.

Stay tuned for updates!

Luigi

« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2015, 08:02 am by lmartu »