Why Do You Like Headphones?

NotoriousBIG_PJ

« on: 20 Apr 2004, 03:42 pm »
Why do you circlests like headphones and could you live without speakers?

Biggie.

Figo

« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2004, 06:35 pm »
yes, I can live without speakers.

headphones: High quality sound for much less $$$
can listen as loud as you ever want at any time of the night
the room is completely taken out of the equation(larger importance than many people realize)
expensive headphones; ie Sony R10s DO have a soundstage.

speakers: dynamic impact
generally not as detailed, which can be good for many(most) recordings
soundstage, imaging, a little more fun to listen to(IMO)
etc

BradJudy

« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2004, 07:01 pm »
I'll echo the positive aspects Figo mentioned, but say that I can't live without speakers because I don't always listen to music alone or when stationary.

Smeggy

« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2004, 09:08 pm »
Due to circumstances of house size, furnishings, neighbors, wife etc. I'm in a position where headphones are my only source of decent hi-fi for now. I don't mind too much though, I've always beed a 'phones person having owned in the region of more than 100 over the last 30 years of listening. I like the isolation, lack of external noises (of which I have way too many) and no-one bugging me about playing whatever takes my fancy whenever I choose.

I love a good blast on a big set of speakers but can live without them if need be.

randytsuch

« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2004, 12:05 am »
At one point, I was wondering if I could live without speakers.

But, if I listen to cans for a long period of time, I miss listening to speakers, but right now, I don't have either. :(   Need to at least get my can setup going again.

Randy

Aman

• http://www.mgforums.com
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2004, 11:50 pm »
I couldn't live without speakers. While you may argue that headphones are more detailed and offer the same sound and volume levels all times of day and at any location, speakers just offer a better listening experience than headphones because of their power. So much more power is put into having bigger bass you can actually FEEL, and surround sound in movies that really make a huge difference in your viewing experience.

Heaphones are great, but are not the best choice for everything.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't realize how old this thread is. Sorry.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2004, 12:07 am »
I could live without speakers if I had supremely good headphones, especially if the headphones are small and easily driven.  And of course I'd need a killer amp, and a killer source.  I actually listen to headphones a lot at home because the wife will be in the other room watching TV, and if I use my speakers, we just get in a volume battle (which I will always win, what with the VMPS RM40's vs. just the little 2 way speakers in my HT).  So, I've spent a lot of time & $$ on finding a combo that I really like, and I think I finally have.  To the point that I don't miss the speakers too much.  Of course I always listen to the 40's when the wife isn't watching TV, so I'm hardly "roughing it" here :-)

sleepkyng

« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2004, 01:22 am »
i think for me it's portability,

whereever i go, i've got a good sound setup with my HD600's

Thump553

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jun 2004, 07:53 pm »
I pretty much do live without speakers, except in the car.  I have a home theater setup but don't use it for serious audio.  I listen to music over my Senn 600s from the computer (lossless formats like SHN or FLAC, or audio CDs).  The headphones make the music that much more involving, cut out outside distractions and I can crank it at any time of the day without bothering other people in the house.  I've been listening to music this way for several years and it is quite acceptable.

Ferdi

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jun 2004, 09:36 pm »
At home I will pretty much always listen to speakers. Underway or at the office I will listen to an iPod + Ety 4P.

I also own some AKG and Sennheisers but am too lazy to check model numbers. I do remember giving my father a Beyer Dynamic 831 2 years ago that I really liked. Nice cans!

Ferdi

Welly Wu

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jul 2004, 04:36 am »
Why not?  That's what I'm living with now.

milford3

Re: Why Do You Like Headphones?
« Reply #11 on: 21 Mar 2013, 12:43 am »
Because my Zen Head amp is finally off bench and packed.  Waiting really sucks.

ajzepp

« Reply #12 on: 21 Mar 2013, 12:51 am »
Dang Milford, you were REALLY digging through the archives, eh?  :lol:

milford3

« Reply #13 on: 21 Mar 2013, 01:04 am »
Ajzeep,  the topic is perfect.  Why start another.  I enjoyed your video.  I can't wait to hear (and enjoy) the Beyer T1's with the new Zen Head.
Oh, live is good. :icon_lol:

ajzepp

« Reply #14 on: 21 Mar 2013, 01:11 am »
Ajzeep,  the topic is perfect.  Why start another.  I enjoyed your video.  I can't wait to hear (and enjoy) the Beyer T1's with the new Zen Head.
Oh, live is good. :icon_lol:

I'm so glad you decided to pick up those T1s a while back...that Zen Head is going to be amazing with them!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #15 on: 21 Mar 2013, 01:14 am »
My current phones are vintage, I will say if I like headphones after I listen the HD800 or T1.
HD800 in demo are unobtainium in this country and they are over priced at US$3K dolars.

ajzepp

« Reply #16 on: 21 Mar 2013, 01:18 am »
My current phones are vintage, I will say if I like headphones after I listen the HD800 or T1.
HD800 in demo are unobtainium in this country and they are over priced at US$3K dolars.

Wow, that's craziness! What country are you in? If the T1s interest you, check out Meier Audio. Jan Meier is a class act and he's always got the T1s for a great price. He's based in Germany and has customers from all around the world. Actually I believe he sells the Senns, too.

milford3

« Reply #17 on: 21 Mar 2013, 01:27 am »
Dam!  Now I want the Senn HD 800"s too.  You guys are killing me.  This is why I like headphones.

dB Cooper

« Reply #18 on: 21 Mar 2013, 01:34 am »
Figo largely sums it up for me. Except for the loud part; I don't run my cans as loud as I once did. Detail. Phase coherence. Freedom from room effects (a glance at pics reveals many systems that probably would have sounded better with a little less resources put into the equipment and a little more into the room itself.) One headphone dollar goes as far as about fifteen speaker dollars. Consideration for others- unlike many people today, I do not assume my taste in music is so fantastic that everyone else around me is missing out if they can't hear it too. Especially late at night, that's just respectful in my book.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #19 on: 21 Mar 2013, 01:38 am »
Wow, that's craziness! What country are you in? If the T1s interest you, check out Meier Audio. Jan Meier is a class act and he's always got the T1s for a great price. He's based in Germany and has customers from all around the world. Actually I believe he sells the Senns, too.
Buy overseas would be doable if custom house taxes are not 100% over product+ship price.
The result of this tax hungry is that most audiophiles trip to Portugal to audio shopping and hide the equip in the hand baggage.