Parrot zik?

usp1

Parrot zik?
« on: 23 Mar 2013, 06:14 pm »
I am thinking of getting some over the ear headphones for travel. Currently I have Shure in-ear E4c which are very good, but the plug do make my ear canals a bit sore and I am getting tired of cleaning out ear wax. So I am looking at over the ear phones with noise canceling. THe obvious(?) most-popular choice are the Bose phones but I find that the earpads make my ears very warm and I hate the sound pressure they create with the noise canceling.

I cam across the parrot zik headphones and had a chance to try them out at the airport. In the 10 minutes I spent with them, the sound quality seemed very good (although I could not hear them with my music). The noise-cancellation seems pretty robust and the phones have a lot of cool features. At $400 though I wanted to know if anyone has had more long term experience with these.

Any experiences and comments  about them would be welcome. Thanks.

TheChairGuy

Re: Parrot zik?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2013, 07:05 pm »
Among the best looking headphones out there, I read some so-so reviews on them (on Head-Fi and I think CNET) regarding sound quality.

I've heard the Bose QC-15 several times and the noise rejection is great - but sonics are not and if the battery dies, the 'phone does too.

I bought the Sennheiser PXC-450 for $349 and am very happy with the decision.  It's got sonics like a good $200 can, isolation and noise rejection just slightly inferior to the Bose and the 'phone operates without any battery as a plus.

They're def not lookers - tho made well and fairly comfy sitting well over the ears - their the audiophool choice in noise cancelling phones out there at a price others are charging.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2013, 12:49 am »
usp1 do you have a link to a website?? I heard the name but know absolutely nothing about them myself-I'm sure head-fi has something on them.... :thumb:

usp1

« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2013, 01:50 am »
chairguy - The Sennheiser pxc-450 seem to get very good reviews. I have to find some place I can hear them. I read good things about the PSB m4u  and the Polk 8000.

eclein - Here is a link to to the official site... http://www.parrot.com/zik/usa/  They are really nice looking and featuer-rich. The noise cancellation is reasonably good. Not as good as the Bose but not the same pressure. It was hard to know the sound quality because I could not play any of my music with them.

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2013, 02:18 am »
usp1, don't overlook Comply tips which are MUCH more comfortable than stock iem tips I have tried.

There are also custom tips from companies like ACS Custom that are available for practically any IEM. They are pricey (shop around, especially for the audiologist who will have to make the impressions) but will outperform any active NC cans and not introduce distortion while doing it. Plus no power source to go dead and constantly replace or recharge.

I too have heard the Ziks very briefly, on unfamiliar music... Sounded pretty good to me but my tolerance for sealed cans has never been good.

usp1

« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2013, 02:38 am »
usp1, don't overlook Comply tips which are MUCH more comfortable than stock iem tips I have tried.

I suppose I should try the Comply first...heck of a lot cheaper than the $300 plus for any decent noise-canceling hp. Since memory foam is being used for any and everything I thought the comply was just another marketing trick.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2013, 10:10 pm »
Comply's make a huge difference, definitely check them out!

ajzepp

« Reply #7 on: 26 Mar 2013, 01:18 am »
Complys...definitely