looking for new headphones

fatcat28037

Re: looking for new headphones
« Reply #40 on: 19 Feb 2013, 06:21 pm »
If you can wait 2 months to buy new phones I'd suggest you attend the Head-Fi meet in Babylon, NY on April 20th. This will give you the opportunity to listen to many different phones and talk to people who are very into the headphone side of audio. Here's a link to the meet thread on Head-Fi.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634922/official-ny-regional-spring-meet-april-20-2013

brooklyn

« Reply #41 on: 4 Mar 2013, 04:01 am »
I finally got the AKG Q701 headphones and I also got a pretty good deal on a PS Audio GCHA headphone amp that only works with the with the USB input which is exactly what I needed so I bought that to.

Very first impression was terrible but I only got to listen to them briefly do to my wife’s computer crapping out. I got them back to my apartment in Oklahoma and let them play for quite a few hours from the Mac Mini through the headphone amp.

They sound much better now after 6 hour of constant playing than when I first heard them. I’m listening to Jeff Beck, Blow by Blow as I write this. I really like these headphone, they sound neutral from top to bottom with solid bass, great midrange, and articulate highs, yet smooth. You can hear deeper into the music with these AKG’s, a little nuance or instrument you didn’t hear previously on the same recording. So far, I’m very happy.

I also brought my PS Audio DL lll Dac with me but haven’t hooked it up at this time, I wanted things to settle in before I thew a Dac into the mix. At some point, I will also like to try the Grado SR80i HP’s to see how they stack up to the AKG’s.

Right now I’m rocking out with Led Zeppelin, Stairway to Heaven.

MattTCG

« Reply #42 on: 4 Mar 2013, 04:55 pm »
Congrats!! I was about to pipe and make some suggestions but I see that you got it worked out. 

Enjoy...

brooklyn

« Reply #43 on: 9 Mar 2013, 07:08 am »
Well, the AKG Q701's are very comfortable headphones to wear, and the sound is clean yet supple. I’m not sure if the PS Audio is the right amp for it though, it sounds a little soft at times. I would like the highs to be a little more crisp though.

I’m not sure at this point what amp will be a better match for the headphones, the headphones probably still needs more time to break in.

This being my first serious headphone system, I think I’m doing good.