Beyerdynamic T90 Tesla Headphones

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Beyerdynamic T90 Tesla Headphones
« on: 17 Jan 2013, 12:07 pm »
Did a search but no info here. Does anyone have/had these?
What do/did you think of them?
Some of the reviews say they are as good as the T1..

Bob2

toocool4

Re: Beyerdynamic T90 Tesla Headphones
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2013, 02:13 pm »
I have tried it and like it very much and no it’s not in the same league as the T1.

It’s been a while but I think the bass on the T90 is more impactful. The T1 creates a more 3D like image and is more refined among other things.
If you cannot afford the T1, then the T90 is a good choice to have.

I like the T90 so much that I changed the drivers in my T70 and replaced them with the T90 ones. It does not quite sound the same, as the T70 is a closed back headphones and the T90 is open back.

Bob2

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2013, 06:13 pm »
it’s not in the same league as the T1

Yea, I didn't think they would be, especially for the price difference.
Just started looking for something different than what I have. A shame there are no longer
B&M stores here where you can try before you buy. Would really like to try out the T1 before purchasing.
I'm sure they are great but until you actually hear for yourself.........
Might have to try these before dropping the dough on the T1's...unless I can find a deal!

Bob2

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2013, 12:01 am »
Well I have ordered a set of T90 phones. Just didn't want to drop the cheddar for the T1.
Will see how these play with my WA6. Hopefully will be a decent match up.
I will post some pix when they arrive. Fingers crossed!!

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2013, 10:41 pm »
If for whatever reason the 90s don't do it for you, and if you want a taste of what the T1s offer, I'd suggest a pair of DT1350s. For under three bills, these are fantastic headphones. They sound like a smaller scale T1 to my ears.

Bob2

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2013, 12:05 am »
ajzepp,
thank you so much for the recommendation! I'm going to look into the DT1350s. After all, who has too many headphones?
As I'm sitting here reading your message I am listening to the very first tune thru the T90's.
First impression, literally, is finally, some headphones that sound really good! Listening to Rumeurs from Mystere.
Lot's going on in this tune. I'm hearing new things! :icon_surprised:
Paired with the Woo WA6 they sound really nice. Barely have the volume knob twisted by 40 degrees.
Miles ahead of my AKG 701's. Bass is pretty good considering I have about 4 minutes on them. Will have more to say as I put some milage on them. Funambul from Varekai very light and airy....
I'm excited about headphones again! The 701's were a dissapointment, the HE-500 were really nice but required more power to get them cooking. The T90's are promising, very promising. 

« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2013, 02:32 am by Bob2 »

milford3

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2013, 02:32 am »
I love the Beyerdynamic line of headphones.  The Tesla tech. is amazing to me.  I love its sheer dynamics.  I'm listening to the T1's right now with the TV amped by the Schiit Valhalla.    IMO the Beyer line can not be beat.  Enjoy the music!

Quiet Earth

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2013, 04:26 am »
Bob2,
Glad you like your new phones. You sure got them delivered quick! Keep us informed as they break in.

I like the T90 so much that I changed the drivers in my T70 and replaced them with the T90 ones. It does not quite sound the same, as the T70 is a closed back headphones and the T90 is open back.

toocool4,
How do you like the stock T70 as a sealed headphone? Is the 1350 better sounding but not as comfortable? I would like to get a headphone with some isolation, but I'm not sure about the on-ear comfort for more than an hour or so.

toocool4

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2013, 10:22 am »

toocool4,
How do you like the stock T70 as a sealed headphone? Is the 1350 better sounding but not as comfortable? I would like to get a headphone with some isolation, but I'm not sure about the on-ear comfort for more than an hour or so.

I like the stock T70’s, but they have flaws like most things do.

First the T70’s are very revealing, unforgiving on bad recordings. If your recordings are less than top notch, the T70 may render them unlistenable.

I love the crystal clear top end and the midds are amazing too. The bottom end is there but lacks a bit of impact. Hence I replaced the drivers with the T90 drivers.

The T90 is smoother and is more forgiving of bad recordings, it still let’s you know about it but does not render it unlistenable. It does not quite have the top end of the T70, but the bottom end is a tad more impactful. Overall the T90 drivers in a closed back phones is very good, not as good as in the open back design. The best of both worlds I think.

I have never had a chance to listen to the DT1350 so can’t say. 

toocool4

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jan 2013, 10:26 am »

As I'm sitting here reading your message I am listening to the very first tune thru the T90's.
First impression, literally, is finally, some headphones that sound really good! Listening to Rumeurs from Mystere.
Lot's going on in this tune. I'm hearing new things! :icon_surprised:
Paired with the Woo WA6 they sound really nice. Barely have the volume knob twisted by 40 degrees.

Told you they sound amazing :thumb:

Bob2

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jan 2013, 11:46 am »
Quiet Earth,
thanks, ordered these from Amazon. Always get great service from them!

toocool4,
"Told you they sound amazing " Yes you did and thank you! You are right!!

milford3,
I too am impressed with the Tesla tech.  If I get a chance to try some T1's I will probably have to have them. Till then these are pretty dang nice!

ajzepp

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jan 2013, 02:34 am »
Those T90s are sharp looking! I've always enjoyed the Beyer styling.

Sounds like we have similar taste, Bob2....we both found the AKG 701s a bit disappointing, and now we're both fans of Beyer phones  :thumb:

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 31 Jan 2013, 03:07 am »
What is the impedence of the t90??? :green:

Quiet Earth

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jan 2013, 03:36 am »
600 ohms.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 31 Jan 2013, 03:45 am »
600 ohms.

Quiet Earth, thanks, wow 600 ohms :green:

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 31 Jan 2013, 03:54 am »
That's 35mw from my amplifier at max volume,what kind of amplification do you guys use??,also what kind of sensitivity does it have?? :green:

toocool4

« Reply #16 on: 31 Jan 2013, 09:29 am »

Bob2

« Reply #17 on: 31 Jan 2013, 09:52 am »
toocool94 is correct, again. Although some of the info says 600 ohm they are actually 250. The WA6 has plenty of power to drive these.  Volume level is pretty loud at much less than half of what is available.

ajzepp, I didn't give much thought about how they look till you mentioned it. I do think they look very nice. They have a very refined look. All of the anodizing helps with that I think.

Listened to them for about an hour last night and tried some different types of music. They sound good but these will reveal any poor recordings.
Bob 2

toocool4

« Reply #18 on: 31 Jan 2013, 11:55 am »
They are very efficient, they are 102dB.

I drive them with a Ray Samuel's P-51 Mustang, as i only listen to headphones on the move. 

Quiet Earth

« Reply #19 on: 31 Jan 2013, 02:45 pm »
Oops!  :oops:  Sorry 'bout that guys. I got the 600 ohms number from the comparison table near the middle of this page http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-Tesla-Headphones-Silver-Dark/dp/B00890YNBK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1359642721&sr=1-1&keywords=t90

Toocool4,

Your T90s look different. Are they sealed? Maybe they are just an older model with a different look?

I see you still have your WM-D6. Awesome! Mine quit working a long time ago, but I still have it. I think it was a power supply problem. Maybe I should get it repaired.