Crossover Vibration Affects

Don_S

Crossover Vibration Affects
« on: 8 Dec 2015, 04:45 pm »
I am wondering how much vibration affects crossover performance. By their nature DIY OBs tend to (but not always) have outboard crossovers while factory-built have the crossovers inboard. Has anyone experimented with the different locations and noticed a difference in performance on their DIY OBs? 

Has anyone who used outboard crossovers experimented with using/not using isolation platforms or feet?

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
Re: Crossover Vibration Affects
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2015, 06:00 pm »
AVS might have the most experience:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=138240.msg1472120#msg1472120

I am wondering how much vibration affects crossover performance. By their nature DIY OBs tend to (but not always) have outboard crossovers while factory-built have the crossovers inboard. Has anyone experimented with the different locations and noticed a difference in performance on their DIY OBs? 

Has anyone who used outboard crossovers experimented with using/not using isolation platforms or feet?

Don_S

« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2015, 10:59 pm »
Tone Depth,

I skimmed that monograph  :o but did not see anything about vibration.  Did I miss something?

matevana

« Reply #3 on: 9 Dec 2015, 12:21 pm »
In the article referenced, Von Schweikert makes note of the passive crossover components being housed in a vibration proof enclosure. I think this is why the OP asked the question.

I can think of a few reasons why an outboard crossover might be beneficial in most speaker designs.

1) Components not subject to internal cabinet pressures
2) In the field of electromagnetics, vibrational energy is known to alter the inductance of a coil.
3) Not confined to cabinet space; inductors can be properly isolated from one another
4) Easy access for testing/upgrading

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 9 Dec 2015, 12:36 pm »
I find the question confusing. How is it even possible for an OB speaker's crossover components to be (potentially) subject to vibration?

Don_S

« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2015, 03:43 pm »
I find the question confusing. How is it even possible for an OB speaker's crossover components to be (potentially) subject to vibration?

John,  I understand your confusion.  Let me try again.

My question was regarding any differences of inboard (vibration) compared to outboard (no or little vibration). I was wondering if anyone had built OBs and experimented with the different locations.

Also, outboard crossovers on wood floors would be subjected to some vibration although it would be less and at different frequencies. I was asking if anyone experimented with isolation in that situation.

nicoch

« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2016, 09:57 am »
 right Don, caps are microphonics ,the condenser microphone is invented at Bell Labs in 1916 ...better avoid sound pressure and vibration always ;)

flavo

« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2016, 03:01 pm »
I can't help much but to let you know I've read a bit about it on Hawthorne's site. Putting the x-over on a vibration mat or completely off of the speaker itself has been beneficial to some. I also read that Spatial has there x-over built inside the mdf faces FWIW.