"DIRECT DRIVE" VMPS for DEQX/TACT systems and VMPS

ekovalsky

« Reply #20 on: 13 Jan 2005, 04:16 pm »
Woodsyi,

I have no analog source.  Based on the perceived improvement in the sound with correction on, I will confidently say any digitization loss will be far outweighed by the benefits of DSP.  

The gain of the TacT ADC module is adjustable via the remote control and main display on the chassis.  You do not need to change jumpers or configure via software.

ctviggen

« Reply #21 on: 13 Jan 2005, 04:38 pm »
You've just shocked those in the Vinyl circle.  ;-)

brj

« Reply #22 on: 14 Jan 2005, 04:36 am »
Eric, I've read your comments with great interest.  Would the following statements form an accurate summary?

1) Driver correction improves the sound everywhere in the room (both inside the sweet spot and outside the sweet spot).

2) Room correction improves the sound inside the sweet spot, but degrades the sound outside the sweet spot.

Assuming that I didn't distort or over-simplify your comments, I'm curious about the size of the sweet spot itself when using active correction.  Does the activation of driver correction or room correction, alone or in tandem, affect the size of the sweet spot?

Many thanks!

ekovalsky

« Reply #23 on: 14 Jan 2005, 05:05 am »
Quote from: brj
Eric, I've read your comments with great interest.  Would the following statements form an accurate summary?

1) Driver correction improves the sound everywhere in the room (both inside the sweet spot and outside the sweet spot).

2) Room correction improves the sound inside the sweet spot, but degrades the sound outside the sweet spot.

Assuming that I didn't distort or over-simplify your comments, I'm curious about the size of the sweet spot itself when using active correction.  Does the activation  ...

Very accurate!  Glad someone could understand the gibberish that I write  :o

With TacT's combined room/speaker correction, the sweet spot is wonderful but small -- about the width of one chair.  Moving a little outside that range doesn't degrade things too much but the beautiful floating center image begins to shift and diffuse.  Further out, particularly closer to the speakers, distortion of the signal becomes quite evident as the correction filter is applying signal cuts and boosts detrimental to the particular nodes at that position.

As I hinted in an earlier post, the small sweet spot does have its advantages.  In my case I can enjoy perfect imaging from either listening chair (one closer to the left speaker, other closer to the right speaker) by switching correction presets.  In addition to optimizing the correction filter for each sweet spot, the TacT also accounts for the time delay from the further speaker (by delaying the signal to the closer speaker) and equalizes channel balance when listening off center.  Very neat!

John Casler

« Reply #24 on: 14 Jan 2005, 05:14 am »
Quote from: ekovalsky
Very accurate!  Glad someone could understand the gibberish that I write  :o

With TacT's combined room/speaker correction, the sweet spot is wonderful but small -- about the width of one chair.  Moving a little outside that range doesn't degrade things too much but the beautiful floating center image begins to shift and diffuse.  Further out, particularly closer to the speakers, distortion of the signal becomes quite evident as the correction filter is applying signal cuts and boosts detrimental to the  ...

We are currently working on a GPS guidance system that will guide the digital processing system to adjust the sweet spot to your movement in the room.  

With this process, no matter where you are in the room the soundstage and imaging, as well as total frequency and phase response will adjust to that movement.

:roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I trust everyone sees where this is going.  While I , of course am jesting, this type of cross pollination of technologies is what I can see, not too far down the road.

And it doesn't really have to be GPS, it could simply be a series of motion sensors in specific locations within the room.

If I didn't already have 5 patents, I'd be writing a provisional right now. :mrgreen:

brj

« Reply #25 on: 14 Jan 2005, 01:04 pm »
Very accurate! Glad someone could understand the gibberish that I write icon_eek.gif

It only took a few codebreakers to figure it out! :lol:

With TacT's combined room/speaker correction, the sweet spot is wonderful but small -- about the width of one chair. Moving a little outside that range doesn't degrade things too much but the beautiful floating center image begins to shift and diffuse. Further out, particularly closer to the speakers, distortion of the signal becomes quite evident as the correction filter is applying signal cuts and boosts detrimental to the particular nodes at that position.

And what about the DEQ/X with driver correction only?  Regardless of how the system sounds in the rest of the room, is that sweet spot larger?

(Presumably, it wouldn't be as accurate as the TacT in the sweet spot, since the room correction would be off, but this might be a beneficial sacrifice for those times when the system is pressed into HT duty and has to serve a larger audience.  Then, for critical listening - which tends to be done alone or with one or two other people - you can re-engage the room correction.)

As I hinted in an earlier post, the small sweet spot does have its advantages.

Ah, but I want it all!  Pin-point imaging and a sweet spot measured in miles!   Or, if John gets really creative, the ability to GPS track and aim the perfect image at multiple people simultaneously from a single pair of speakers! :D

Thanks again for the pointers!

ctviggen

« Reply #26 on: 14 Jan 2005, 01:44 pm »
Does the TACT allow you to turn these on and off?  For instance, correct the speaker when you have a bunch of people in the room, and correct the room when you're listening in stereo?

Jose R.

« Reply #27 on: 14 Jan 2005, 05:26 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
Does the TACT allow you to turn these on and off?  For instance, correct the speaker when you have a bunch of people in the room, and correct the room when you're listening in stereo?

The Tact system is very flexible with 9 presets in the RCS module plus a bypass option as well as 5-10 options (depending on filters used) in the amps.
You can save different measurments to different presets and choose which one you want to use.

Regards

Jose

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #28 on: 14 Jan 2005, 08:32 pm »
i wonder if you could do driver correction w/the tact, by placing your speakers outdoors...

doug s.

Jose R.

« Reply #29 on: 15 Jan 2005, 06:35 am »
Quote from: doug s.
i wonder if you could do driver correction w/the tact, by placing your speakers outdoors...

doug s.

Hi Doug

Technically I guess you could but do not know whether it would result in overall better results.  Some users have taken measurements 3-4' from the speakers for "speaker correction" purposes.
I have used measurements taken at the listening position which obviously includes the room contribution.  I have found that when doing final measurements for room correction, the contribution of "speaker correction" is very visible with a flatter response.
Note however that with speaker corection one can only correct for peaks - digital filters cannot go above 0dB.  You thus lose some gain and need to use higher Tact output pulses to achieve the same gain.  The benefit is that the final room correction does not require as much correction thus gain loss is reduced.  What I am trying to say is that final listening volume is not much different using speaker correction plus room correction vs only room correction.
Another point - one must be careful about the different delays induced by different digital filters and one must always measure each driver so that time delays are equal for all the drivers - it is a bit time consuming but well worth it.

Regards

Jose

ctviggen

« Reply #30 on: 15 Jan 2005, 12:01 pm »
From what I understand from reading this thread, the TACT only performs room correction, while the DEQ/X allows you to perform both speaker and room correction.  Is that correct?  Why would one choose a TACT over a DEQ/X or vice versa?

Jose R.

« Reply #31 on: 15 Jan 2005, 03:25 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
From what I understand from reading this thread, the TACT only performs room correction, while the DEQ/X allows you to perform both speaker and room correction.  Is that correct?  Why would one choose a TACT over a DEQ/X or vice versa?

Bob,

The correction performed by Tact RCS is in reality a combination of speaker and room correction.  I have no experience or knowledge of the DEQX so cannot say how it differs from the Tact in practice.

Regards

Jose

cinema&sound

• http://www.cinema-and-sound.com
« Reply #32 on: 15 Jan 2005, 08:20 pm »
I have been following this with some interest as we have some audio analysis equipment, but have not yet used any DSP technology to correct.

We have used traditional correction methods like acoustic treatments, moving furniture. Even changing room dimensions to move modal anomalies to places where people aren't.

My question is:
Are TACT etc. correction systems appropriate for surround sound also? Nothing to detract from 2 channel systems, but my customer’s world is primarily surround. This is primarily movies, but also SACD and DVD audio.

Thanks
Scott

Jose R.

« Reply #33 on: 15 Jan 2005, 10:04 pm »
Quote from: cinema&sound
IMy question is:
Are TACT etc. correction systems appropriate for surround sound also? Nothing to detract from 2 channel systems, but my customer’s world is primarily surround. This is primarily movies, but also SACD and DVD audio.

Thanks
Scott

Hi Scott

Tact has a 10 channel theatre correction system (TCS) which would do what you require (ie stereo and multichannel).  I have not heard or used it but it is apparently very good.  For DVD-Audio and SACD you would however require an additional A/D module.
You can get more info at www.tactlabs.com

Regards

Jose

KJ

« Reply #34 on: 23 Jan 2005, 06:31 pm »
Getting back to the original topic:

Quote from: John Casler
This system allows the best of both worlds having both "Direct Drive" and Crossover systems in the speaker. It will have 2 times the binding posts.

How do you disconnect the passive crossover when you want to use an active crossover with the direct drive posts?

I will have the pricing "firmed up" shortly and will post them both here and in the "price list" sticky.

Any update?

-KJ

John Casler

« Reply #35 on: 23 Jan 2005, 07:08 pm »
Quote from: KJ
Getting back to the original topic:

This system allows the best of both worlds having both "Direct Drive" and Crossover systems in the speaker. It will have 2 times the binding posts.

How do you disconnect the passive crossover when you want to use an active crossover with the direct drive posts?

I will have the pricing "firmed up" shortly and will post them both here and in the "price list" sticky.

Any update?

-KJ

Hi KJ,

My understanding is that you simply connect to the Direct Drive set of Binding posts, but there may need to be a "disconnect" of some type.

I will post pricing as soon as we have a few things firmed up.  I have been in contact with DEQX regarding the best implementation and "system or package" pricing.

I also have a couple other "proprietary" applications to discuss with them which will clearly offer HUGE benefits in a couple specific areas.

In fact, if I am correct, it may make a huge difference in a MAIN performance area!!

I will post pricing to the price list as soon as it is firmed up.

brj

« Reply #36 on: 27 Jan 2005, 10:10 pm »
I guess I'm a bit confused as to the exact implementation details, specifically:

1) Will the "direct drive" option use 4 pairs of binding posts?  (Tweeters, mid-range panels, mid-bass woofers, and low bass woofers)

2) Will the "direct drive plus" option include 6 pairs of binding posts?  (The 4 direct drive pairs described above plus the traditional 2 pair for the bi-ampable passive crossover.)

3) For the "direct drive plus" option, will there be a mechanism to fully disconnect the passive crossover when the "direct drive" binding posts are in use?

Many thanks for the clarification!

KJ

« Reply #37 on: 28 Jan 2005, 04:51 pm »
jimmyp58 has confirmed there are three extra sets of binding posts added for Option 2 (DD & S VMPS).  Thanks Jim!

3) For the "direct drive plus" option, will there be a mechanism to fully disconnect the passive crossover when the "direct drive" binding posts are in use?

Still hoping Brian C. can answer to this one.  Assuming there is no manual disconnect and one uses the DD binding posts, wouldn't the signal/current bleed back to the passive crossover?

I'm currently not interested in pursuing an all-digital setup.  However, assuming DD&SV doesn't cause any issues this option is appealing in the event digital becomes the wave of the future.

-KJ

Jose R.

« Reply #38 on: 28 Jan 2005, 09:14 pm »
Quote from: KJ
Still hoping Brian C. can answer to this one.  Assuming there is no manual disconnect and one uses the DD binding posts, wouldn't the signal/current bleed back to the passive crossover?
-KJ

I would be intersted to know what effect the passive components would have.  I have created separate binding posts for each driver but as I see it, the inductors will still be in the circuit even when connecting the digital amps direct to the drivers.  I wonder whether this has any effect?

Jose

John Casler

« Reply #39 on: 28 Jan 2005, 09:30 pm »
I guess I'm a bit confused as to the exact implementation details, specifically:

1) Will the "direct drive" option use 4 pairs of binding posts?  (Tweeters, mid-range panels, mid-bass woofers, and low bass woofers)

2) Will the "direct drive plus" option include 6 pairs of binding posts?  (The 4 direct drive pairs described above plus the traditional 2 pair for the bi-ampable passive crossover.)

3) For the "direct drive plus" option, will there be a mechanism to fully disconnect the passive crossove ...

1) Direct Drive can have a pair of binding posts for each Driver System

For example: the RM30M can have up to 4 pair.  I'll have to check with brian but I think the RM40 will have 3 pair since the upper and lower woofer work together.  The 626R would have 3 pair.

I think the majority of DSP users will be ordering the RM30C and mating it with a seperate SubWoofer system, which would mean 3 pair on the RM30C.

I don't know the x-over limits of all the current DSP systems, but I assume there are provisions for 3-4 way speakers or speakers plus subs. DIRECT DRIVE can be ordered accordingly.

2) Depends on which DSP system you select and how you wish to configure your drivers.

3) B, told me no disconnect device is required, the way he will wire it.

Ordering these combinations will require attention to detail.