Non matching tube codes??

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Non matching tube codes??
« on: 27 Apr 2017, 02:46 am »
I just picked up about 20 misc tubes from a friend, and while testing I noticed something off.  A pair of Ecc83 Audio Research Corp  made in West Germany  have a clear Ei tube code (semicircle with dot).  So what are these? German or Yugoslavian?  And why would A.R. Corp or Ei mislabel them?

sfox7076

Re: Non matching tube codes??
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2017, 02:54 am »
Happened all the time.  It is a tube made in Yugoslavia.  It is not West German, despite the language.  There are a lot of fakes out there.  That said, there were a lot of tube companies that did the same thing.  Especially rebranders.  I have 6dj8s that are labeled made in usa, but are totally 6N23s from Russia (national brand).  There are plenty of "Made in Great Britain" or "Made in England" tubes that were made in Japan once certain tooling was transferred.

Shawn

S Clark

« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2017, 02:59 am »
Thanks Shawn.  That's what I suspected.  What I don't get is who does this? Audio Research Corp? Or some jerk trying to make an extra $30 on a pair of "German" tubes vs. Yugo tubes. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2017, 03:10 am »
Thanks Shawn.  That's what I suspected.  What I don't get is who does this? Audio Research Corp? Or some jerk trying to make an extra $30 on a pair of "German" tubes vs. Yugo tubes.
AR never made tubes, its a Ei tube.

S Clark

« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2017, 03:14 am »
AR never made tubes, its a Ei tube.
I understand that, Gustavo.  What I'm curious about is who bears the blame for the misinformation.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2017, 03:37 am »
I suppose its AR if the tube is labeled AR.
Shuguang made 833A labeled  PentaLabs, 805 tubes labeled as Taylor, also KT88/90 etc labeled as Jinvina to MingDa factory, this happen all the time.

JackD

« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2017, 04:58 am »
If you buy enough tubes the factory will ink your brand on them.  I've got "National" branded tubes that originated in the U.K. and Japan.  Think Sears Kenmore appliances.

bacobits1

« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2017, 12:17 pm »
It's best to buy from reputable vendors as Jim McShane, Brent Jessee and others that know what to weed through.
Man, ain't cheap!

Lots of funny business with tubes over the years. Most of it searchable date codes, structures etc. described on the net. Fascinating stuff. I have here NOS Tele 8417 (12au7) stamped Dynaco but have the diamond in glass.
It's a whole art out there deciphering this stuff.

S Clark

« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2017, 01:33 pm »
I'm well acquainted with manufacturing and date codes, being a bit of a fan of various Valvo tubes. Its just the first time I've run across an intentionally mislabeled tube.  I'd read that they were common, just my first experience.
Ive seen lots of privately branded tubes, Eico/Millard, Baldwin/Sylvania, etc..  But those don't put fraudulent info on the tube to mislead a consumer.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 27 Apr 2017, 05:04 pm »
It's best to buy from reputable vendors as Jim McShane, Brent Jessee and others that know what to weed through.
Man, ain't cheap!

Lots of funny business with tubes over the years. Most of it searchable date codes, structures etc. described on the net. Fascinating stuff. I have here NOS Tele 8417 (12au7) stamped Dynaco but have the diamond in glass.
It's a whole art out there deciphering this stuff.
Any photo? Its the Telefunken logo in the bottom?

bacobits1

« Reply #10 on: 27 Apr 2017, 05:05 pm »
The Dynaco labeled are 12ax7 diamond glass made in Germany stamped

Unless I'm wrong?
Diamond Logo on bottom.
Labeled Artisan/ made in W Germany stamped

« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2017, 06:20 pm by bacobits1 »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 27 Apr 2017, 05:13 pm »
In an old version of the UpScale site audio KD informed there was an guy in Florida intentionally labeling cheap 12AX7 family tubes as JAN, a considerable upgrade.