I'm looking for some direction

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: I'm looking for some direction
« Reply #20 on: 3 Jun 2013, 05:09 pm »
Hoyt-Bedford is not a "budget" or lower line of Omega.  They are a different line with often a different target audience, and happen to be quite underpriced.  One reason Louis is able to produce them so reasonably is due to their more "cookie cutter" approach to manufacturing: two cabinets, one driver, a sub that fits under either, and a nice set of speaker stands made just for them.  Choose your finish.  The entire line of Hoyt-Bedford speakers represents extreme value, but cheap or "budget" they are not.  They have all the care and quality Louis puts into all his speakers.  They are the masters of tone, and a more effortless speaker I have yet to hear.

desmond3273

« Reply #21 on: 3 Jun 2013, 07:33 pm »
I assume the Hoyte-Bedford and Omega lines both share similar qualities. How does the Hoyte-Bedford line handle complex music or movies? I like a variety of music but at times I love to rock out. Also how difficult is it to build a bottlehead amp? I'm so new to tubes I have to look up everything that is being said. Thanks for the responses and the patience with a new guy.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 5 Jun 2013, 01:09 am »
desmond3273,

Bear one thing in mind, tubes and single driver speakers are geared toward music.  The Hoyt-Bedfords and Omegas do share similar qualities in that they both have very palpable transparent sound, insane imaging (the Hoyts being more ethereal, and the Omegas more focused), and "you are there" midrange.  The RS5 based Omegas are electrostatic fast, and the Hoyts are a little slower, but warmer, giving them a slightly fuller, more relaxed sound.  The Hoyts with no crossover and true 97db efficiency will run on fumes, making them a great match for the likes of any quality flea power  amp, tube or solid state.  The Super 3XRS and the Super 3S are more extended at both ends of the frequency spectrum, but the sound a little cooler than the Hoyt Type 1 or 1.5.

Getting back to your original post on this thread, I stick to my same recommendation.  Even though the Elite 80 amp has a dryer sound than the liquid sound of a good single ended amp, it has strengths (being a push pull) that a low powered single ended amp can't match, such as punch, dynamics, and the ability to control the speaker driver on the bottom end which produces a nice tight, defined bass.  The Elite 80 is also very fast and detailed, not to mention the 20w/ch and over spec'd iron give this amp lots of headroom over a low powered single ended amp.  These qualities make it IMO more suitable to your desired application.  A few years back, Affordable Audio magazine give The Elite 80 the integrated amp of the year award.   

Since my last post I have learned Louis is talking about reintroducing the Super 5 Monitor (pictured in the 2.1 system at the end of the room) and the Super 3i (pictured closer) with the new RS5 driver.  Louis says they are incredible with the new driver, so I would heartily add to my recommendation either of those two speakers.  I loved them both when they had the old HempCone, and the new RS5 driver will be a big upgrade.  Due to it's lightning speed, the RS5 driver will be a good choice for more complex music and the highly swinging dynamics of home theatre, provided you are not after party volumes.  Also, the Hoyt-Bedford Type 3 sub will have no trouble keeping up with any Omega or Hoyt speaker.

Lastly, your choice of amp could reflect how your sub sounds as most of these minimalist tube amps have no pre-outs, so the sub gets it's signal from the speaker outs on the amp which is generally the best way to set up a sub in a 2.1 system anyway.....in most cases.  Being that a single ended amp has a less defined bass than a push pull, the sub will also have a less defined bass as it essentially mimics the amp it is hooked up to.  A push pull amp with it's more defined bass will be reflected in a more defined bass from the sub.  If you have a single ended amp with pre-outs or have a preamp with line out or sub out, then I would consider that route, as the sub will now reflect the source (DAC, CD, phono, etc.), making it have a more defined bass than what it can get from the speaker terminals on the single ended amp.

desmond3273

« Reply #23 on: 10 Jun 2013, 10:44 pm »
Any new info on the Multipoint series?

Louis O

• Facilitator
    • http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com
« Reply #24 on: 10 Jun 2013, 11:00 pm »
Hi desmond3273,

Just waiting for a new backdrop so I can post the pictures. I have the MultiPoint 39 done in EKO Fumed Oak.

I'm looking into this setup more and more and will make a stand-mount next. I also want to explore a modular setup too.

This should be very interesting incorporating the new Model 7F and 7A into Multipoint.

The sound with RS5's is huge though. It can also handle much more complex material.

Thanks,
Louis

desmond3273

« Reply #25 on: 11 Jun 2013, 02:22 am »
Thanks Louis. I'm excited. Can't wait to see it.