Bryston BDP-Pi

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Bryston BDP-Pi
« Reply #240 on: 24 Jan 2018, 05:24 pm »
Our firmware supports playing icecast and icecast compatible streams like this one

http://classicalfm.ca/radio-player/

You can copy URLs into the search field of bRadio and the BDP will attempt to find any usable streams/playlists linked in the given web site.

YouTube uses a rather proprietary system and as far as I am aware playback isn't supported outside of an official app or web browser.

Cheers,
Chris

Calypte

« Reply #241 on: 25 Jan 2018, 12:35 am »
I found an additional component for Foobar2000 that allows me to play Youtube audio through my system (instead of just through the PC speakers).  Maybe there's a simpler way, but I didn't find it.  Just plugging in a USB cable to the BDP or to the DAC or anything else didn't yield sound.  There are also apps that claim to allow recording of Youtube audio, but the ones I tried either required that I pay after a trial (that's their right, but in my case I'm not sure that it's economically warranted), or they want you to install apps to receive advertising. 

schmidtmike76

« Reply #242 on: 25 Jan 2018, 02:03 am »
Anyone else’s tidal not playing tonight

disregard it’s back

schmidtmike76

« Reply #243 on: 1 Feb 2018, 10:41 pm »
Chris is there anyway of getting the ipad app to the Pi and to use rather than the Bryston version?

Calypte

« Reply #244 on: 9 Feb 2018, 11:21 pm »
I have a basic question about the operation of the BDP-pi.  I have a lot of music that I've ripped to a Western Digital MyPassport hard disk, with lots more to come.  When I tell Manic Moose to play a piece of music from the disk drive, does the BDP-pi read the entire file into memory?  Or, does it read the music from the disk drive in real time?

V-Fi

« Reply #245 on: 15 Feb 2018, 02:06 am »
Question. How would one go about playing DSD music using a Bryston Pi plus an older Antelope Zodiac Gold DAC which isn't DSD capable? Obviously there must be a conversion done in order to turn the tracks into PCM which the Antelope can handle. But apart from Roon handling DSD to PCM conversion, is there any other way?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #246 on: 15 Feb 2018, 06:04 pm »
Question. How would one go about playing DSD music using a Bryston Pi plus an older Antelope Zodiac Gold DAC which isn't DSD capable? Obviously there must be a conversion done in order to turn the tracks into PCM which the Antelope can handle. But apart from Roon handling DSD to PCM conversion, is there any other way?

Hi

You could use some software to convert them to wav or flac on a pc or Mac?  You be seen people post about the program linked below, available for Mac and I believe foobar and jriver can also convert DSD files as well.

http://www.sonore.us/dsd2flac.html

Chrus

V-Fi

« Reply #247 on: 17 Feb 2018, 03:50 pm »
Thank you for the link.

I was looking more for a realtime conversion process, which may not be possible with this configuration. JRiver will do it on the fly but I don't know if there's any way to stream that processed signal to the Pi. And again, Roon is an option at some point down the road but I'm looking for something right now.

With over 1TB worth of SACD rips, converting and storing a duplicate library in PCM versions doesn't seem attractive. But maybe it's the only way.

Calypte

« Reply #248 on: 24 Feb 2018, 05:15 am »
HELP!!  As recently as 2 AM PST, Feb 23, 2018, my BDP-pi worked perfectly.  when I tried it twelve hours later, all I got was distortion, a sort of ugly white noise.  I haven't changed anything.  Is there a setting in "dashboard" that I should be looking at?

Calypte

« Reply #249 on: 24 Feb 2018, 06:09 am »
SOLVED: It was my DAC.  I shut it down and restarted it, and everything is OK now.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #250 on: 24 Feb 2018, 09:57 am »
SOLVED: It was my DAC.  I shut it down and restarted it, and everything is OK now.

Good news!

Krutsch

« Reply #251 on: 24 Feb 2018, 02:05 pm »
Thank you for the link.

I was looking more for a realtime conversion process, which may not be possible with this configuration. JRiver will do it on the fly but I don't know if there's any way to stream that processed signal to the Pi. And again, Roon is an option at some point down the road but I'm looking for something right now.

With over 1TB worth of SACD rips, converting and storing a duplicate library in PCM versions doesn't seem attractive. But maybe it's the only way.

If I recall correctly, JRiver will stream output as a DLNA server. Go into your BDP-Pi and select the DLNA Renderer from the Services tab at the bottom of the main Dashboard page.

Please let us know if this works for you... I am curious, myself.

Nordkapp

« Reply #252 on: 9 Apr 2018, 08:58 pm »
Hi. Question-could I connect 2 DACs to the Pi or BDP2 simultaneously? One for stereo, the other for my headphone rig? Presently, that is how I am set up. Trying to decide on a new Pi or used BDP2. Thanks.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #253 on: 9 Apr 2018, 10:50 pm »
Hi. Question-could I connect 2 DACs to the Pi or BDP2 simultaneously? One for stereo, the other for my headphone rig? Presently, that is how I am set up. Trying to decide on a new Pi or used BDP2. Thanks.

What style of connection are you using with the DACs and your current source?  Or COAX, USB, etc

And do you have any interest in DAD playback?

Nordkapp

« Reply #254 on: 9 Apr 2018, 11:00 pm »
Using a BUC1 > AES3 out to my stereo DAC and straight USB into my HP DAC. Sorry, did you mean DSD? If you did, then the answer is I do with my HPs, but not with my stereo, since I have to use the BUC1 to feed a 25' run of AES3 cable into DAC.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #255 on: 10 Apr 2018, 11:18 am »
Using a BUC1 > AES3 out to my stereo DAC and straight USB into my HP DAC. Sorry, did you mean DSD? If you did, then the answer is I do with my HPs, but not with my stereo, since I have to use the BUC1 to feed a 25' run of AES3 cable into DAC.

Go with the bdp-2

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #256 on: 11 May 2018, 12:34 pm »
Is the BDP-Pi software download upgradable?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #257 on: 12 May 2018, 06:19 am »
Hi Matthew,

Yes the firmware for the BDP-Pi is upgradable, please see the manic moose manual

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf

Chris

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #258 on: 13 May 2018, 03:51 am »
Hi Matthew,

Yes the firmware for the BDP-Pi is upgradable, please see the manic moose manual

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf

Chris

Thanks!

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #259 on: 7 Jun 2018, 05:06 pm »
Apologies if this has been addressed already; recommendations for wifi dongle for the BDP-Pi so I don't have to punch a ton of holes in the walls of my house?  Right now running Netgear powerline which is spotty, and my dogs keep chewing through the ethernet cables.  TIA.