substitute speaker Sierra-1Nrt

Rock68

substitute speaker Sierra-1Nrt
« on: 22 Aug 2014, 01:05 pm »
 Hi, everyone,
 there is a desire to replace the Sierra-1 NRT to another speaker.
 there are two contenders, updated Merlins TSM MME and carbon-7
 I would like to hear your opinion, what to choose?
 Val
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2014, 02:12 pm by Rock68 »

Rock68

Re: substitute speaker Sierra-1Nrt
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2014, 06:07 am »

What to choose?

Rock68

« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2014, 06:08 am »
 I have the amp Sphinx and cd naim
 Val

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2014, 11:38 am »
Don't know the Merlin but I have heard the Fritz and it was impressive. As always YMMV.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2014, 12:02 pm »
Why is there a desire to replace the Sierra-1 Nrt? 

Is this the same as what their website calls the Sierra 2?

I own CBM-170s (in 40 years of audio one of my favorite purchases) and have heard the Carbon 7 (very pleasant sound, easy to listen to, remarkable bass extension, Fritz is a nice guy).  My guess is the Raal ribbon on the Sierra provides a more precise sound than you'll get from almost any soft dome.  Don't know about the Sierra but many of the early users of the Raal had their speakers balanced too much towards it (probably to show it off).  Properly implemented, the Raal ribbon would be hard to beat.  The Seas derived mid/woofer should be quite good too.  And if the crossover of my lowly CBM-170s are any indication, the rest of the package should be very good and good value.

My guess is nothing in the price range of a Sierra will be an improvement and at best a sideways move in terms of sonics, content value, overall quality, and warrantee.

srb

« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2014, 05:14 pm »
Is this the same as what their website calls the Sierra 2?

The Sierra-1 NrT is the Sierra-1 speaker ($848) with a 5-1/4" woofer and the optional SEAS NrT ("Neodymium ring Tweeter ") dome tweeter upgrade (+$300) for a total of $1148.

The new Sierra-2 has a 6" SEAS Curv™ woofer and a RAAL ribbon tweeter for $1448.

Steve

forkliftHIFI

• Will forklift for Hi-Fi!
« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2014, 06:25 am »
I know it's slightly off topic but I just got the RAAL version of the Sierra Towers a few weeks back.  The ribbons are very sweet sounding, super smooth and realistic treble.  Well worth the money IMHO.  From what I've read the Sierra 2's are darn near as good and if you are running a subwoofer and a receiver with bass management or a properly set up external crossover you won't be wanting for anything versus the RAAL equipped towers.  If you have any questions let me know!

Rock68

« Reply #7 on: 25 Aug 2014, 08:41 am »
Hi,
 The fact that, when a large volume of the speakers, it becomes a lot of treble.
 maybe  problems to reality of the cables?
 I think not enough midrange.
 I am also interested to find out who could hear both speakers: Merlin TSM MMi and Carbon 7
 But the main question is whether the improvement in the Sierras with the replacement of one of these speakers?
 Val

forkliftHIFI

• Will forklift for Hi-Fi!
« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2014, 04:08 pm »
I really doubt the cables are causing the lack of mid range.  If you don't mind me asking Val what kind of amplification are you running?  As noted by JLM either of the two speakers you mention for replacements would really be a sideways move at best or possibly a decrease in sound quality.   

ricardojoa

« Reply #9 on: 25 Aug 2014, 06:47 pm »
I have the standard tweeter sierra 1 and i found that when listen to moderate level, they are nice but once you want louder, the tweeter seems to sound odd, sort of slightly distorted. Maybe not, but i think it may be due to pwer as well since i used to power them with avr.

I cant say about the two speaker you have in mind, but i would guess the fritz would sound a tad warmer base on those woofer.
I have  found that the sierra 1 standard misses some of the mid-low, upper bass details. Other than that, they are great bookshelves that dont require a sub and has great pinpoint image.

Rock68

« Reply #10 on: 26 Aug 2014, 01:17 pm »
Well, let's raise the question differently:
what else can be considered in the dynamics of $ 2-3k,
that is actually better, 1 NRT
Or the replacement of the Sphinx? For example, STI-500

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 26 Aug 2014, 04:00 pm »
Your gear looks very nice.  Wonder if you're pushing the volume too hard.  (The Sierra aren't the easiest load and the mid/woofer is fairly small.  On the other hand, each is factory tested.)  Maybe something in the speaker has come loose, can you feel any "extra" vibration in either speaker when you hear more treble?

Have you ever done an in-room frequency check?  You can pick up a range of different frequency test tones (Stereophile sells such CDs) and with a sound pressure meter (available from Radio Shack or smart phone download) you can map out the mid/treble response at varying volume levels.  Regardless of your current dilemma, it would serve as a worthwhile education to help recognize different frequencies/volume levels.

Another thought:  Some rooms (size/shape) can be highly problematic.  Cubic or dome shaped rooms are the worst, but for example those that are twice as long as wide can also be bad.  Objects in the room can vibrate at unpredictable frequencies if the volume is high enough.  (A recent poster here found his window panes vibrating at mid/treble frequencies from heavy bass loading.)

Rock68

« Reply #12 on: 27 Aug 2014, 01:59 pm »
- JML
  I agree with you, a lot of factors that affect the final sound
including premises. It seems that the sound is not bad enough, but lacks dynamics
in the middle and tight bass with the details of the image.
maybe Selah Verita (ported version)?
I am looking for a good speaker to $ 3k
What do you think?

ricardojoa

« Reply #13 on: 27 Aug 2014, 06:13 pm »
How about the open back mid philharmonic slim tower? Raal, scanspeak woofer, tangband mids.

Rock68

« Reply #14 on: 2 Sep 2014, 01:15 pm »
 - weekend had more free time to listen to different
Recording and styles. listen to about 4 hours, came to the conclusion that the overstatement of HF on vocals.
why is this happening?

ricardojoa

« Reply #15 on: 2 Sep 2014, 07:35 pm »
It could be of various reasons, it could be your room, maybe the tweeter, or something else. But as you say about vocal, which is largely produced by the midwoofer, it may not be the tweeter. IMO, the woofer  of the sierra lacks that upper bass/low mid, which might give your that mid/upper mid emphasis.

Rock68

« Reply #16 on: 3 Sep 2014, 01:46 pm »
  You know, the brightness of the sound is good, but not as much as it sounds my system.
  power cables, TWL 7 amp, TWL 10 CD, speaker Reality cables

ricardojoa

« Reply #17 on: 3 Sep 2014, 02:02 pm »
How big is your room? Do you consider your room to be reflective? Eg. hard surface behind listen area, windows on the side, tile floors....