Big7 tube shootout!

bonzo75

Re: Big7 tube shootout!
« Reply #140 on: 10 Oct 2015, 07:17 pm »
Ok. Is your reference music more vocal based or full symphony orchestra? Thanks

dminches

« Reply #141 on: 10 Oct 2015, 07:25 pm »
Combination of rock (grateful dead, garcia, dire straits, The who, etc.), jazz (coltrane, miles, gordon, rollins) and female vocals (patricia barber, rickie lee jones).  I don't listen to much classical at all.

bonzo75

« Reply #142 on: 10 Oct 2015, 07:27 pm »
Ok, my friends who don't listen to classical don't like the 101d replica. Birth i and the lampi distributor here love it (and now audiophile Bill ) but we primarily use orchestral for reference

bonzo75

« Reply #143 on: 3 Nov 2015, 02:33 pm »
Selling Psvane WE Replica 101d matched pair at $350 plus postage from London. Original Price $550

I have the original ST Shaped match quad which I pulled out of the box and they working fine, I also have KR, Ayon 32bs (300bs on steroids), so selling these.

sfox7076

« Reply #144 on: 3 Nov 2015, 03:45 pm »
What do you think of the 32Bs?

bonzo75

« Reply #145 on: 3 Nov 2015, 03:56 pm »
What do you think of the 32Bs?

Must buy

bonzo75

« Reply #146 on: 3 Nov 2015, 04:36 pm »
There had a very rounded, solid controlled, thick for guitar, great dynamics and bass kind of sound. On some music they were downright the best. We had a shootout with KR, JJ, 101D replicas, EML solid plate 45s, and Original WE 101D. Original 101d and Ayon 32b were the best but very different. KR was very good, again different, and will come used, while Ayons will not come used as they usually get sold with Ayon amps, not as separate valves. But you can buy from distributor or so

bonzo75

« Reply #147 on: 3 Nov 2015, 09:18 pm »
Hi can anyone tell me if these specs work?

It has 2A at 515v. Will it run underpowered and is that ok? I don't mind if the tube has shorter life, but I don't want the dac to get damaged.

http://www.ayonaudio.com/ayon/ayon-super-triode-power-tubes/aa-32b-s.html

bonzo75

« Reply #148 on: 3 Nov 2015, 09:36 pm »
Hi I don't think I can yet recommend the Ayon because of the 2a current

sfox7076

« Reply #149 on: 12 Nov 2015, 02:35 am »
I am pretty sure I just had a religious experience listening to David Bowie on my GG.  275As, my new favorite rectifier and some remastered Bowie. 

sfox7076

« Reply #150 on: 12 Nov 2015, 02:39 am »
The Ayon will be drawing at least 9 watts on the filament.  Norman has stated 6.5 watts is the max.  Normal 300B is 6 watts.  You could seriously damage a power transformer pulling that much current if it isn't rated to that level.

PhilipAC

« Reply #151 on: 12 Nov 2015, 12:38 pm »
Selling Psvane WE Replica 101d matched pair at $350 plus postage from London. Original Price $550

Hi Bonzo

Do you still have them? If so, what sterling price would you accept (I live in Reigate)?

Cheers

Philip

bonzo75

« Reply #152 on: 12 Nov 2015, 12:43 pm »
Hi Bonzo

Do you still have them? If so, what sterling price would you accept (I live in Reigate)?

Cheers

Philip

wisnon

« Reply #153 on: 12 Nov 2015, 06:05 pm »
The Ayon will be drawing at least 9 watts on the filament.  Norman has stated 6.5 watts is the max.  Normal 300B is 6 watts.  You could seriously damage a power transformer pulling that much current if it isn't rated to that level.
Max for the auto blancing circuit. I do think the Trafo will be specced way in excess of that, so the real risjk is early tube death due to under heating. That could mean the 20 year like gets cut in half of more.

wisnon

« Reply #154 on: 12 Nov 2015, 06:07 pm »
I am pretty sure I just had a religious experience listening to David Bowie on my GG.  275As, my new favorite rectifier and some remastered Bowie.

Sounds like the GG/Komputer Bughead demo session I heard in Poland on Monday. Big WOW.

bonzo75

« Reply #155 on: 28 Nov 2015, 09:02 pm »
Hi I am selling my Emission Labs 5u4g recti at $150, or GBP 100, plus postage from London (roughly $40 for the US). In original box and very few hours.

Also selling WE 422a Date code is "5726" (Year 1957, week 26). Selling at GBP 320 or $500 plus postage from London. Working fine.

Crashem

« Reply #156 on: 21 Dec 2015, 07:40 am »
So I am in process of trying to determine whether to upgrade to B7 or stretch for that GG.  In any case, starting shopping for tubes and came across this listing.  Look at flyer and bought it.  Did I just score a deal?  It looks like it is a metal base Mullard GZ34 and that the seller misinterpreted the date codes.  Am I right that metal bases weren't made into the 60's?  Although it is a F32 series which I usually associate with the black base 60's verion.  Any of you tube experts, your knowledge is needed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361418290633

Thanks in advance

deuter

« Reply #157 on: 9 Jun 2016, 08:23 pm »
Something that I posted on another forum about the KR Audio tube 242.

Usually when I change tubes, rectifier and the DHT's I go back to the old tube and do some critical listening back and forth to understand and solidify what the differences are.

I replaced the Psvane 101d Hifi with the 242, when I first tried them I had just got home and wanted to check if the tubes were working, etc
No plans to listen to music or expect anything as I was tired.
You know what as soon as I played music I knew straight away these were special and I just packed away the 101d's didnt even think about swapping around to know what the differences were. They were that obvious.

To all that say buy the top model you can and don't worry about upgrading your tubes, you are so very wrong.
I believe the performance of my DAC has improved atleast 30% and I'am being very conservative.
I could easily say its huge.
I'am very thankful to Eunice Kron to assist me in getting these tubes so quickly and at a very fine price.
And lastly for building such beautiful tubes. Its mind blowing how they build such gems.

sfox7076

« Reply #158 on: 9 Jun 2016, 08:41 pm »
I would rather shoot those 101D tubes with a gun than listen to them...  I have hated them since day 1.

genjamon

« Reply #159 on: 9 Jun 2016, 09:06 pm »
I recently moved to a new house.  The new listening room is a combination living/dining room - 20ft x 25ft with sloped ceiling front to back going from 8.5ft to around 10.5ft.  Lots of thick carpet.  The old house audio room was 11ft x 20ft x 7-8ft, with hard laminate floor, and a big wall of picture windows.  So, the new room has a LOT less room reflections to deal with and is much more heavily damped.  Needless to say, the system synergy was all wrong for the new house when I set things up.

I've been playing with a lot of system tweaks to try and get things right.  But tube swapping on the Big7 was not high on my list - though it absolutely should have been.  I had originally leaned quite quickly to 300B tubes in the B7.  I hated the stock Psvane 101D from the moment I heard them.  Almost sent the Big7 back under the 1 week trial period - but then a buddy brought over some cheap 2A3 and 300B tubes he had as spares on the last day.  The 300B's were just right.  But what I should have remembered when moving to the new house was how DIFFERENT each of the tubes sounded.  Changing tubes on the B7 doesn't just lead to small changes - the sound signature can change quite dramatically.

But, since I'd invested somewhat heavily in some used Takatsuki 300B's, which are known as probably the best new production 300B's out there, and maybe in the same league as the best of all time, I thought anything I would put into the Big7 in the new house would be markedly inferior.  WRONG...

Last weekend I swapped in some vintage Sovtek 2A3's and RCA Cunningham 45's, as well as giving those stock Psvane 101D's another listen. 

With the Tak's, I had been battling a sound that was just too thick in the midrange, a bit bloated in the bass, and didn't have the attack/transients, or high frequency extension to really open up the sound and engage the listener.  It had really excellent soundstage depth, but the thickness and bloatedness, and lack of attack just made everything sound like the music was not as immediately there - like you were sitting way in back of the hall.

The 2A3's brought some better balance to the sound, more control in the bass, a bit more attack, and a slight bit more high frequency extension.  A bit more "there".  You could hear it wasn't as good of a tube as the Tak's, a certain kind of refined detail was missing, and a touch of a kind of harshness that you know a higher quality tube would do away with.  But the overall sonic signature was a better fit with the room.

The 45's brought even more balance, with more control in the bass, even more attack, good high frequency extension, and awesome soundstage depth to boot.  And a bit higher quality tube than the Sovteks.

The stock Psvane 101D's, really lit things up in terms of upper midrange attack and high frequency extension.  At the expense of some of the balance, and with a very forward dynamic sound that removed that soundstage depth from the 45's.  But a bit of a brittle sound, and strident enough to be fatiguing. 

So, the 45's were the best fit of all these sonic signatures.  I'm really curious what a higher quality 101D would do in my system, knowing that the stock Psvane's are not at all the the same league.  Maybe a Psvane Replica 101D would do it for me.  But those KR 242's or PX4's do sound really interesting to try.  But then again, going with some new production 45's might be interesting as well - I've read a little bit saying the EML 45's are as good or better than any vintage 45's. 

Do any of you guys have any thoughts on the options given what I've said about my impressions above?  I don't think I'm going to be able to afford more than one of these sets of tubes in the near future.

***P.S. I don't want any of the above to be interpreted that I think the Takatsuki 300B is not as good as these cheaper tubes.  Completely on the contrary.  In my other room, I listened to all these same tubes.  And also several other pairs of 300B's, including some NOS AVVT's and Genalex.  The Tak's were heads above the other 300B's in refinement, and also quite a bit higher quality and more refined than the 45's, 2A3's, and 6A3's I tried.  It's just that the 300B sound in the new room is much better damped and also has some bass modes that still need to be tamed.  The 300B sound turns to thick with not enough higher frequency energy to energize the room.  In the old room, I needed a bit of that bass roundness and midrange richness to counteract an otherwise bright room.  Very different situation here - the exact opposite in fact.