"We've got a jumper!!!!"

SwedeSound

"We've got a jumper!!!!"
« on: 29 Mar 2008, 04:35 am »
While awaiting the arrival of a new (used) receiver (Harman Kardon HK-3480) to replace my relatively inexpensive Panasonic (SA-HE100) receiver (*in an effort to simplify and move to a strictly two-channel amp*) I see the pre-amp outs and main amp ins that are connected with a basic jumper...

My question is what is the conventional wisdom when it comes to these factory-supplied jumpers? There are some A-Gon listings for custom jumpers in the $24-$35 range (so we're not talking about a huge investment here -- and certainly there are those costing much, MUCH more), but I am curious whether fellow AC'ers think the provided boring ol' straight pieces of copper do the trick just as well... Yr. thoughts?

-Jason

WGH

Re: "We've got a jumper!!!!"
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2008, 04:48 am »
I bought a NAD 7155 receiver in '85, it was my first high end receiver.
Then in '91, I tried out a pair of Straight Wire Encore jumpers.
I bought the jumpers for $60.
YMMV.

Wayne

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2008, 09:30 am »
What's the wiring like inside that you can't see?  You trusted the manufacturer enough to buy the product, why fuss over maybe the simpliest part in the signal path?  You could also spend thousands on isolation feet/platform, power isolation/conditioning but after all this is an entry level piece.

I'd just use contact cleaner on them and move on.  Spend the time/money buying more music (or paying for this free advice  :)).

GerryD

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2008, 08:52 pm »
I have an old NAD 304 that I use in a second system.  I replaced the stock jumpers years ago with Tara Labs Missing Link and thought they made a nice improvement.  For the amount of investment we're talking about, I'd certainly give some new jumpers a try...then you'll know.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2008, 09:09 pm »
If the jumpers have not been removed for a while, just removing them and plugging them back in should make a noticeable improvement.

SwedeSound

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2008, 10:13 pm »
Well the factory jumpers look pretty substantial... Encased in molded plastic ... I removed them, cleaned the connections and replaced them... I have no complaints -- or any urge to get any after-market jumpers. Thanks for the pointers, tho. That's what the Starting Block is for, eh?

(*Incidentally, the new (used) HK 3480 from a pvt. seller on AudiogoN sounds fantastic.... Much better than my Panasonic ... Took me a bit to realize, but it seemed like I was having to crank it louder to get what seemed like the same volume level, but my hunch is the unit is cleaner and less fatiguing. Either way, there's a noticeably bigger soundstage, faster bass and more ... er ... believable vocals. Not bad for $110.)

-Jason

SET Man

« Reply #6 on: 30 Mar 2008, 01:12 am »
....but I am curious whether fellow AC'ers think the provided boring ol' straight pieces of copper do the trick just as well... Yr. thoughts?

-Jason

Hey!

Well, I guess the easiest way to see if changing the stock jumper will make any different all you have to do is remove them and than try using your spare pair of IC as jumper and see if you hear any change. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2008, 01:22 am by SET Man »