$200-300 upgrade choices

sleepkyng

$200-300 upgrade choices
« on: 29 Sep 2004, 03:05 am »
ok guys, i need help spendin money.

my setup is in the database
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=systems;system=400

i'm thinking of either getting:

a dac with toslink to go from my airport express (which is bitperfect)

a phono preamp for my TT (thinking parasound zphono) and a toshiba 3690 cdp

a new pair of speakers

max amount i can spend is 300, minimum is around 200

thanks in advanced

ooheadsoo

$200-300 upgrade choices
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2004, 03:57 am »
How about diy some speakers?

sleepkyng

$200-300 upgrade choices
« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2004, 04:09 am »
i don't have the time or tools (i'm in a dorm) to diy, but maybe someone else's assembled stuffs?

ooheadsoo

$200-300 upgrade choices
« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2004, 05:59 am »
Hm, you could consider posting a wanted post on madisound's forum.  That's an interesting approach, could make for some good bargains.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
$200-300 upgrade choices
« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2004, 10:06 am »
Try a single pair of single strand, plenum rated CAT5 for speaker cables.  Nearly free and beats most sub $200 cables.  It's recommended to keep the runs under 10 feet, no connectors necessary, just strip the ends and go.  Twist additional pairs together to gain bass as you like.

Clean your connections to make huge improvements (see threads else where around here).

Add Panda Feet or vibrapods/vibracones under your components.

Hang stadium blankets or such up (soften the typical dorm block/plaster walls).  Best place is on the wall behind the speakers, then anyway on the speaker end of the room.

Make sure your stuff is insured from theft, etc.

Tonto Yoder

$200-300 upgrade choices
« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2004, 10:50 am »
I would think that  Convergent Response Audio Phono (C.R.A.P) would be limiting your TT, so I'd go with the better phono.  This assumes you're really interested in vinyl and have some way of getting enough LP's to make it worthwhile.  You can borrow CD's from other students or the library, but chances are they won't be lending vinyl.

Dmason

$200-300 upgrade choices
« Reply #6 on: 30 Sep 2004, 03:01 am »
Hey Sleepy

I agree with those who suggest taking a look at what you have. Build out from where you are. the Teac is about to become a legend of ValueKing audio components. Take a good look at "optimizing" that one in the future, she's a keeper.

The best and cheapest route to student sonic nirvana would be to think about power conditioning, ESPECIALLY with Tripath amps which absolutely demand it. These things require isolation, insulation, and power filtering. The cheapest best remedy would be to go onto Ebay and find a OneAC filter with transformer. This is the industrial version of the PS Audio Ultimate Outlet. This will scrub the crap out of the line that is, in your dorm, an electrical sewer that your stereo is drinking out of, with all those little fridges full of beer, electric bongs, and vibrators going off. It also has EMI and RFI filtering, both of which are produced by, and absorbed by Tripath chips. The overall quality of sound will jack up impressively with this little white box. Cost, about $20-40. Equivalent to a major component upgrade, with Tripath chips...

Next, like JLM said, throw up some blankets to kill those deadly reflections in that cell of yours.

I think the Panda Feet and Cat 5 cabling are stunningly wise suggestions. Start with this stuff and see how you like it. Total outlay: $50, with change left over for a quarter ounce, and a pony keg :lol:

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: $200-300 upgrade choices
« Reply #7 on: 30 Sep 2004, 02:38 pm »
Quote from: sleepkyng
ok guys, i need help spendin money.

my setup is in the database
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=systems;system=400

i'm thinking of either getting:

a dac with toslink to go from my airport express (which is bitperfect)

a phono preamp for my TT (thinking parasound zphono) and a toshiba 3690 cdp

a new pair of speakers

max amount i can spend is 300, minimum is around 200

thanks in advanced

get the acurus p10 fono stage adwertized on a-gon
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preaphon&1101657837
oops - sold in less than 24 hours - there's a reason for that!   :wink:   i'd look for something like that.

or, if there's good fm in your area, find a good vintage tuner - for <$300, you can get one that will rival the best digital & analog sources.  check out this site:
http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/index.html

re: dac; keep the mensa di/o, & get one of these for use w/toslink - they work great; <200ps jitter.  awailable from joel (x1116) at http://fullcompass.com/
he also has others, likely as good, for less $$$

http://www.rdlnet.com/fp-spr1.htm

doug s.

Marbles

$200-300 upgrade choices
« Reply #8 on: 30 Sep 2004, 02:50 pm »
$200-$300 won't make that much difference in an audio system.

Learn as much about the stock market as you possibly can, then save up a bit more and invest in options.

If you are good, in a relatively short while you will be able to buy any audio system you would want....nice houses and cars too.

mcgsxr

$200-300 upgrade choices
« Reply #9 on: 1 Oct 2004, 01:00 pm »
Ahh, Mr Sleepkyng, the age old question of how to invest limited $$ - I live this, though I am lucky enough to do it a couple of times per year - now, if I could ONLY save up that money each time, and drop a K on some gear once a year...

In any case, to your question.

The smART DIO is good, but the Mensa is better, and about a $150 upgrade.  A good thought.

A used Monarchy DIP might also prove a good way to translate Toslink to SPDIF, and reduce jitter also.

I second the Cat5e speaker cable idea also.

In any case, Marbles is on the right track, IF you can save up the dough, you can move forward faster, but if not, there are things that you can incrementally improve along the way.

Good luck, keep us posted!

mark in Canada

Carlman

$200-300 upgrade choices
« Reply #10 on: 1 Oct 2004, 02:34 pm »
If I had 2-300, I'd buy music... specifically good vinyl.

TheChairGuy

$200-300 upgrade choices
« Reply #11 on: 1 Oct 2004, 04:14 pm »
I would only add to this that CAT6 is built to better tolerances for signal transmission.  It's insulation is teflon and conductors are solid core 24 ga. copper and there is a spacer to keep the bundles in a correct twist for EMI/RFI interference...it's better than the CAT3, CAT5 and even CAT5e's out there.

It's truly a poor man's Kimber 4TC.

I have to thank Mark Hampton of ZCable for turning me on to the stuff.

mcgsxr

$200-300 upgrade choices
« Reply #12 on: 1 Oct 2004, 05:00 pm »
Outside of the spacer, the Cat5e that I have is the physical equivalent to the listed Cat6, but perhaps that spacer is important.

If I can find a supply of it, I will give it a run.

mark  :mrgreen:

TheChairGuy

$200-300 upgrade choices
« Reply #13 on: 1 Oct 2004, 05:58 pm »
Mark,

I have been told, specifically, Mohawk brand of CAT6 is best.  That's what I have.  Not that I have heard any other CAT6's.

I just looked on the jacket and it didn't indicate country of manufacture...I know you get some different brands than we do here in the states.

It does say 'Mohawk / CDT Gigalan (TM) CAT.6 4PR. 24 AWG' on the jacket.

Mudjock

• Sehlin Sound Solutions
$200-300 upgrade choices
« Reply #14 on: 1 Oct 2004, 06:00 pm »
I would agree with the OneAC isolation transformer - then I would look at the speakers.  I have recommended the Wharfedales to others as a speaker you can get for sub $100 that really isn't too offensive, but you would certainly hear more of the Teac's virtues if you upgrade your speakers.  Here is something available on ebay from a diy'er who has been a frequent contributor on the Madisound and Parts Express boards.  
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14991&item=5723307944&rd=1  

If you would prefer something more traditional looking, you might consider the Polk Rti-28.  It sounds okay as is, and the cabinet quality is sufficient to be worth tweaking the crossover later - if you ever get into that.  Dennis Murphy (www.murphyblaster.com) has posted a crossover revision.

sleepkyng

$200-300 upgrade choices
« Reply #15 on: 2 Oct 2004, 03:38 am »
in terms of speakers, what about axiom speakers?

mcgsxr

$200-300 upgrade choices
« Reply #16 on: 2 Oct 2004, 01:56 pm »
A nice Canadian company, located in Cottage country, north of Toronto.

Very well reviewed speakers, in particular the M22ti, and smaller M3ti.  Metal dome, aluminum woofers, bookshelf, shielded, decent little speakers that might grow into HT with you, if that is a direction that interests you.

BUT, for the $$, if you can find a set of Totem Rokk (yes, I have a set, but am not selling...) in your price range, I would jump at those too.

mark in Canada

rosconey

$200-300 upgrade choices
« Reply #17 on: 2 Oct 2004, 02:39 pm »
i have a pair of michaura m55's  close to the m22 axiom(m55's are made by axiom) they are a nice sounding speaker

sleepkyng

$200-300 upgrade choices
« Reply #18 on: 2 Oct 2004, 04:02 pm »
but mark, isn't it time for another speaker upgrade for you?  :D

i heard the michaura's were no longer being made?

brj

$200-300 upgrade choices
« Reply #19 on: 2 Oct 2004, 04:05 pm »
Quote from: TheChairGuy
I would only add to this that CAT6 is built to better tolerances for signal transmission.  It's insulation is teflon and conductors are solid core 24 ga. copper and there is a spacer to keep the bundles in a correct twist for EMI/RFI interference.

ChairGuy, do you have a link to a recipe you have used?  Solid vs. stranded?  Plenum vs. non-plenum?   Braiding? etc.

Thanks!