GMOs good or not?

werd

Re: GMOs good or not?
« Reply #280 on: 17 Jul 2016, 06:45 am »
Where do you live? I live in the heart of Minnesota. It is a "Mecca" for food and crop production. Many of my friends that I have tea with every morning are farmers. I'm going to show them this thread so they can all have a good laugh. If you think we can feed the world with organically grown crops, you are spewing propaganda. Of course, I'm sure almost all here have hardly seen a farm, let alone work on one, bale hay of participate in butchering a hog or steer.

We have 2 local vegetable farms near here. The labor force required to run a farm like this would not be possible without migrant farm workers, there is simply too much work to get it all done. Not eating meat is one's own personal choice, but the best beef cattle are raised on grass. Lots of this grass land (or pasture land) is prefect for this process. The cattle consume the grass (not in real conflict with other foods in the food chain) and we eat the cattle.

BTW, almost every food item you guys eat today is the result of hybrid manipulation. Cattle are. Tomatoes never used to have thick skin as they do now, and in the old days, had a high mortality rate getting to the market. This is in fact, gene manipulation.

So when you are with your farmer friends, sipping the tea contemplating world health and GMOs  :lol:. You do realize there are tons of labour in third world countries? You do not need GMOs. GMOs ain't feeding shit. The technology might be there but it's not going to get used because 3rd world countries can't pay the "Man". 

The only people getting fed are the ones who can pay for it. GMOs will only make it cheaper and more profitable for the producer. So us fat fucks from North America can keep stuffing the feed hole.

You are living in completely different fantasy world if you think GMOs are going to help feed people that need it.

drphoto

« Reply #281 on: 17 Jul 2016, 11:06 am »
Werd,

Again what I said is MAYBE GMO's can help the third world if they can say produce a rice that contains all essential vitamins or crops that can better withstand the harsh conditions of say sub Saharan Africa.

Whether they are COMPLETELY  safe? who knows? I'm not a geneticist.  But is any tech completely safe? Hell driving your car to work maybe the one of the most dangerous things you do daily.

I'm not arguing for them.....or against.

And once again, all sides have valid points to make. Yes you too are correct. A lot of places in the third world certainly have no shortage of labor. Hell that's why we North Americans as you say, build factories in them. To take advantage of that. So maybe a lot of them could also work on farms. But something is clearly wrong, as there a lot of hungry people in the world.

True, much of it is due to local politics. Dictators who control everything for there own benefit, or incite civil wars etc. But that opens up another divisive
discussion.

Can will all just chill out a bit?? 8)

Wayner

« Reply #282 on: 17 Jul 2016, 12:06 pm »
Saying you're ignorant of the differences between breeding and genetic modification is not calling you names.

We all know the differences between hybrid and genetic fiddling. How's that mushroom farm doing now?

Werd,

Again what I said is MAYBE GMO's can help the third world if they can say produce a rice that contains all essential vitamins or crops that can better withstand the harsh conditions of say sub Saharan Africa.

Whether they are COMPLETELY  safe? who knows? I'm not a geneticist.  But is any tech completely safe? Hell driving your car to work maybe the one of the most dangerous things you do daily.

And once again, all sides have valid points to make. Yes you too are correct. A lot of places in the third world certainly have no shortage of labor. Hell that's why we North Americans as you say, build factories in them. To take advantage of that. So maybe a lot of them could also work on farms. But something is clearly wrong, as there a lot of hungry people in the world.

True, much of it is due to local politics. Dictators who control everything for there own benefit, or incite civil wars etc. But that opens up another divisive
discussion.

Corn crops here are used several fold. First some of it goes into ethanol production. Some of it is turned into silage (feed), some of it is picked and end up in processed foods, some of it ends up being made into sugar, some of it ends up as animal foods. The sweet corn part ends up as sweet corn we see in the grocery stores, some it canned at several local canning operations (canned whole corn, creamed corn), and some corn gets exported. It a pretty diverse raw material. The same types of things happen to soybeans.                   

drphoto

« Reply #283 on: 17 Jul 2016, 12:45 pm »
I truly apologize to all if I some how turned this into a political debate. That was not my intent

I like good intellectual discourse. But this seems to have taken a bit of an ugly turn.

I will refrain from posting here again.

cheers to all.

OzarkTom

« Reply #284 on: 17 Jul 2016, 01:32 pm »
The organic industry is breaking growth records in 2016

https://www.minds.com/blog/view/600448233210126353

Here in Missouri, farmer markets are springing up everywhere, even in the smallest towns.

Price?

Store-cucumbers and zucchii-99 cents each
Farmers markets-2/$1 and 3/$1

Sorry Monsanto: Organic Food Smashed Records Last Year With Over $35 Billion In Sales

http://www.healthynaturalcures.org/sorry-monsanto-organic-food-smashed-records-last-year-35-billion-sales/

Guy 13

« Reply #285 on: 17 Jul 2016, 02:05 pm »

That's what I lik to see - read !  :thumb:

'' Sorry Monsanto: Organic Food Smashed Records Last Year With Over $35 Billion In Sales ''

werd

« Reply #286 on: 17 Jul 2016, 02:13 pm »
Werd,

discussion.

Apparently rice is the worse crop to be concentrating on in much of Asia. (you would know more about this) The land used to grow rice is toxic from industry. From what I am reading, rice is about the worst crop since it does nothing for ridding the toxin. Other crops that don't sit in water are better suited for that. Instead of moving people away from rice and providing nutrition with other plants they are pushing this rice. Why? I doubt very much it's to create nutrients for the population. Its far more likely its to maintain an industry of rice export. I know that sounds cynical and I hope the rice thing works out on un toxic land.

Ignoring the reality of "why" is toxic from a propaganda POV. Since it allows these multinationals to gain applause when no applause is warranted. They are only looking after their own interests. So happens in this case, it allows them to possibly repair a nutritional issue.
« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2016, 04:37 pm by werd »

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #287 on: 17 Jul 2016, 02:34 pm »
We all know the differences between hybrid and genetic fiddling. How's that mushroom farm doing now?             

If you had any clue you wouldn't be so quick to denigrate my mushroom farm, it's a very profitable business. It did great and made good money, but I moved on as I decided I didn't want to do it anymore. Over time I got allergic to spores and the mushrooms need to be picked twice a day. Later I had a successful welding and auto shop, then I decided I didn't want to do that either so I got an engineering degree and worked for Vestas desiging a huge factory, where I made numerous huge improvements to the assembly process that were implemented internationally. Both the management team and the mechanical designers that worked for me said I was the most technically gifted engineer they had ever worked with. So far I'm very happy doing what I do now, I own my own business and life is grand.  :thumb:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #288 on: 17 Jul 2016, 02:36 pm »
I truly apologize to all if I some how turned this into a political debate. That was not my intent

I like good intellectual discourse. But this seems to have taken a bit of an ugly turn.

I will refrain from posting here again.

cheers to all.

Me too, I'm out.

werd

« Reply #289 on: 17 Jul 2016, 02:39 pm »
The organic industry is breaking growth records in 2016

https://www.minds.com/blog/view/600448233210126353

Here in Missouri, farmer markets are springing up everywhere, even in the smallest towns.

Price?

Store-cucumbers and zucchii-99 cents each
Farmers markets-2/$1 and 3/$1

Sorry Monsanto: Organic Food Smashed Records Last Year With Over $35 Billion In Sales

http://www.healthynaturalcures.org/sorry-monsanto-organic-food-smashed-records-last-year-35-billion-sales/

Mama Monsanto loves their GMO racket. The whole world is run on fees and services charges on basically doing nothing. Like bank fees or cancellation fees. Monsanto business model is the same thing. They are using GMOs to create a system where they can charge for basically nothing after selling the seed and Herbicide.

They want you sign a contract (fees) then they want in on the harvest ( more fees). All because they have sold this illusion that their tech is worth it.
Sounds like that DRM thing (MQA) Meridian is trying to push.   :rules:  :thumbdown:

Or you can do the Generic stuff and ignore Monsanto.  :thumb:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #290 on: 17 Jul 2016, 03:17 pm »
Mama Monsanto loves their GMO racket. The whole world is run on fees and services charges on basically doing nothing. Like bank fees or cancellation fees. Monsanto business model is the same thing. They are using GMOs to create a system where they can charge for basically nothing after selling the seed and Herbicide.

They want you sign a contract (fees) then they want in on the harvest ( more fees). All because they have sold this illusion that their tech is worth it.
Sounds like that DRM thing (MQA) Meridian is trying to push.   :rules:  :thumbdown:

Or you can do the Generic stuff and ignore Monsanto.  :thumb:

You got it right! Just follow the money and you can see how international capitalism, in their individual sectors, trends towards monopoly/oligopoly.

OzarkTom

« Reply #291 on: 18 Jul 2016, 07:53 pm »
In Pictures: The Mind-Numbingly Simple Labels Monsanto and Big Food Paid Over $100 Million to Stop

http://althealthworks.com/10500/in-pictures-these-are-mind-numbingly-simple-labels-monsanto-et-al-spent-hundreds-of-millions-to-stop/

OzarkTom

« Reply #292 on: 1 Aug 2016, 08:17 pm »
MonsantoLeaks: Emails Expose Company’s Shocking Connection to Séralini (GMO) Study Retraction

http://www.march-against-monsanto.com/monsantoleaks-emails-reveal-role-companys-shocking-role-in-seralini-study-retraction/

OzarkTom

« Reply #293 on: 11 Aug 2016, 02:55 am »
Lawsuits mounting against MONSANTO for their cancer-causing herbicide ROUNDUP. ...But don't worry, you can trust them on GMO's.

http://madisonrecord.com/stories/510974427-lawsuits-mounting-against-monsanto-over-alleged-cancer-causing-ingredients-in-roundup

OzarkTom

« Reply #294 on: 25 Aug 2016, 01:37 pm »
Determined Argentina Protesters Force Monsanto to Tear Down Unwanted GMO Seed Plant

http://sustainablepulse.com/2016/08/07/local-residents-force-monsanto-to-tear-down-gmo-seed-plant-in-argentina/#.V74FuZgrI2w

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #295 on: 25 Aug 2016, 01:44 pm »
Argentina and Uruguay has better meat than brazil.

OzarkTom

« Reply #296 on: 8 Sep 2016, 02:51 am »
400 Companies That DO NOT Use GMOs in Their Products

http://www.realfarmacy.com/400-companies-no-gmos/

Guy 13

« Reply #297 on: 8 Sep 2016, 03:24 am »
I only saw one product that I know and use and it's :
Better Stevia by Now.
All those companies listed are small companies and that's normal,
large corporations more or less care about bio stuff,
they are concerned about money for their share holders.

Guy 13
on planet Vietnam.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #298 on: 14 Sep 2016, 03:00 pm »
Just an FYI on this. Since we track companies like this who impact our market segments I immediately sent it along to my comrades in arms and remembered this discussion:

Bayer, Monsanto Sign Merger Agreement Worth $66B, Now the Tough Part: Regulators

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2016/09/13/bayer-monsanto-sign-merger-agreement-worth-66b-now-tough-part-regulators.html

OzarkTom