Bryston's new speaker cable

Vipers

Re: Bryston's new speaker cable
« Reply #80 on: 14 Dec 2010, 08:19 pm »
Hi Vipers, may I suggest you go directly to Bryston's website and order your custom cables.  http://bryston.com/speaker.html

Then call Melissa instead of waiting for her.  ;)

I find it more efficient that way.  That is how I roll.   :lol:

Sounds like a plan, thanks Levi  :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #81 on: 14 Dec 2010, 10:13 pm »
Hi Bjski, welcome to Bryston forum. What speakers are you currently using?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #82 on: 19 Dec 2010, 06:30 pm »

Levi

« Reply #83 on: 19 Dec 2010, 08:20 pm »
Great article.  Thanks for sharing James!  :thumb:

BrysTony

« Reply #84 on: 19 Dec 2010, 08:45 pm »
I agree - it is an excellent article and it affirms the new Bryston cable design.  :thumb:

bjski

« Reply #85 on: 19 Dec 2010, 11:18 pm »
I was using Infinity IRS Epsilon.2 4bst bridged for the bass and a 4 bsst/2 for the highs.Did some upgrades this last week.I'm waitng for a pair of Legacy focus SE which are to be delivered tomorrow and a pair of Bryston 7Bsst/2. Bat 32se pre-amp,Theta player and a Bryston BDA-1,Wadia 170. James Tanner talked me into the 7Bsst/2. I'm guessing he's a bad man!! LOL!!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #86 on: 19 Dec 2010, 11:54 pm »
I was using Infinity IRS Epsilon.2 4bst bridged for the bass and a 4 bsst/2 for the highs.Did some upgrades this last week.I'm waitng for a pair of Legacy focus SE which are to be delivered tomorrow and a pair of Bryston 7Bsst/2. Bat 32se pre-amp,Theta player and a Bryston BDA-1,Wadia 170. James Tanner talked me into the 7Bsst/2. I'm guessing he's a bad man!! LOL!!

Great system -  :thumb:  Please let us know how it sounds when you get it all together.

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #87 on: 20 Dec 2010, 01:24 am »
Anybody here looking for a 6'pair of Bryston's new speaker cables 150.00.
they have the spades on one end and locking bananas on the other.
I thought(mah grade 7 measurin)that 6' was enough,not quite.
I have to order a 8'pair and that will give me a bit of slack.
These are 3 weeks old.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #88 on: 20 Dec 2010, 01:56 am »

Nice Xmas gifts!

1ZIP

« Reply #89 on: 20 Dec 2010, 03:20 am »
Somethings been bothering me about equivalent AWG's when combining wire.
If I have two 14 AWG stranded wires and combine them the roughly equivalent gauge is 11.  If I combine two 12 gauge I get roughly a 9 gauge.  If I combine two 9's I get a 6 gauge.  If I combine four 12's do I roughly get a 6?

srb

« Reply #90 on: 20 Dec 2010, 03:48 am »
If I have two 14 AWG stranded wires and combine them the roughly equivalent gauge is 11.  If I combine two 12 gauge I get roughly a 9 gauge.  If I combine two 9's I get a 6 gauge.  If I combine four 12's do I roughly get a 6?

Yes, four 12 gauge wires will give you the equivalent of a 6 gauge.  If you have two wires of the same gauge wire, the equivalent gauge is very easy to calculate as it is always -3 gauge sizes larger.  If you have an odd number of wires and/or different gauge wires to combine, it gets a little more difficult, and a Wire Gauge Calculator comes in handy.

Steve

1ZIP

« Reply #91 on: 20 Dec 2010, 04:19 am »
That's what I thought.  That means I've been way wrong in, for some reason, thinking the new Bryston speaker cable was a 4 x 12.  In fact it is a 4 x 15, more or less. to arrive at a cable gauge size of 9. "The Bryston speaker cable utilizes four twisted (equaling 9 gauge) multi-strand conductors of OFC copper."

This getting older is hell!

BrysTony

« Reply #92 on: 20 Dec 2010, 04:33 am »
That's what I thought.  That means I've been way wrong in, for some reason, thinking the new Bryston speaker cable was a 4 x 12.  In fact it is a 4 x 15, more or less. to arrive at a cable gauge size of 9. "The Bryston speaker cable utilizes four twisted (equaling 9 gauge) multi-strand conductors of OFC copper."

This getting older is hell!

No -- Two of the wires are for the positive terminal and two are for the negative terminal.  You are only combining two 12 gauge wires for an equivalent 9 gauge wire.

srb

« Reply #93 on: 20 Dec 2010, 04:38 am »
No -- Two of the wires are for the positive terminal and two are for the negative terminal.  You are only combining two 12 gauge wires for an equivalent 9 gauge wire.

Exactly.  I wasn't thinking of the context of the Bryston speaker cable when I answered (although that is the topic of this thread!), but just responding to your question of combining multiple wires.

Like BrysTony said, you need two "legs" to the speaker cable, one 9 gauge leg to the speaker and one 9 gauge return leg back to the amplifier.

Steve

1ZIP

« Reply #94 on: 20 Dec 2010, 05:07 am »
Ya, I agree two twelves get you a 9 coming and going and I believe your right.  But if you just look at the statement  "....speaker cable utilizes four twisted (equaling 9 gauge) multi-strand conductors......" you could see how it could be misinterpreted.

At any rate the question arose during a comparison of two speaker cables:

BRYSTON:

Black jacket; 9.5mm (.375”) diameter
Resistance .0008 ohms/ft                             
Capacitance 70pF/ft                                       
Inductance .2 uH (microhenrys) /ft
9 gauge in-wall rated

VS

FURUTECH

* Conductor-1:α(Alpha)Conductor,μ-OFC (21/0.15mm+6/46/0.10mm(rope-lay stranding))
* Insulation:Poly Propylene(for Treble,Blue、Black)
* Conductor-2:α(Alpha)Conductor,μ-OFC (7/5/0.3mm(concentric stranding))
* Insulation:Poly Propylene (for Bass,Red、White)
* Sheath:Flexible PVC (Dark Green)
* Overall Diameter:11.0 mm (≒13 AWG) / (2.5 sq.mm)

*Electrical Properties
Max. Conductor Resistance: 10.9Ω/km(for Treble)
Max. Conductor Resistance: 10.20Ω/km(for Bass)
Dielectric Strength: AC 500 V/1min.
Min. Insulation Resistance: 1000 MΩ.km
Capacitance (for Treble): Approx. 70 PF/M
Capacitance (for Bass): Approx. 85 PF/M

srb

« Reply #95 on: 20 Dec 2010, 05:41 am »
It can be confusing comparing cables and their specifications, particularly when the resistance, capacitance and inductance might be quoted per foot, per meter or per kilometer.

The Furutech appears to have nearly 4 times more resistance per foot, about 1/3 of the capacitance per foot, and they don't specify inductance at all.

Resistance:
Bryston = .0008 ohms/ft  vs.  Furutech = .003 ohms/ft (~ 10.5 ohms/km)
Capacitance:
Bryston = 70pF/ft  vs.  Furutech = 23.8pF/ft (~ 78pF/M)

It's difficult to predict a sound based on specs, and one cable may be more suited to one amplifier than another.  But certainly Bryston has tested their cables with their amplifiers.

When Bryston describes their cable, the "twisted" refers to the 4 insulated conductors twisted together in perhaps a star-quad or similar type of configuration, but the conductors are designed to be electrically connected (or twisted) together as pairs for non bi-wired speakers.

Steve

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #96 on: 20 Dec 2010, 05:46 am »
The more I read about it, the more I wanna get the BRYSTON speaker cable.

1ZIP

« Reply #97 on: 20 Dec 2010, 06:30 am »
I have the Furutech now and I do like it.  But when I added the Bryston IC's there was such a marked improvement that the potential improvements of the new Bryston speaker cable has my interest tweaked.  Especially at $9.00/foot plus connectors.  And with only 11 ft. runs it's almost worth the experiment.

BrysTony

« Reply #98 on: 20 Dec 2010, 12:14 pm »
I have the Furutech now and I do like it.  But when I added the Bryston IC's there was such a marked improvement that the potential improvements of the new Bryston speaker cable has my interest tweaked.  Especially at $9.00/foot plus connectors.  And with only 11 ft. runs it's almost worth the experiment.

It is a great value.  Bryston finishes off the ends very nicely with shrink tube at no extra cost which gives you a good looking cable as well.  I am using it in my system (8 ft runs) and am very happy with it.
Tony

Levi

« Reply #99 on: 20 Dec 2010, 01:17 pm »
I am running 4ft runs for the ultimate in driver control.  :thumb:  I think the Bryston's new cables is a great sounding cable that will not break the bank.  It simply works!