Tone arm repair

griffithds

Tone arm repair
« on: 18 Nov 2015, 05:35 pm »
I have a short in the left channel of a tone arm.  I'm looking for someone to replace the wires in a Lustre GTS 801 tone arm.
I am familiar with many cartridge repair facilities, but I know of not one single facility that does tone arm repairs. 
Any suggestions? :scratch:
Regards,

sunnydaze

Re: Tone arm repair
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2015, 05:56 pm »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2015, 05:57 pm »
You would PM our member Jeff from Sonic Craft and order some tone arm wire and do the job yourself.
Surely you can made a solder.
http://www.soniccraft.com/index.php/wire-tone-arm-c-296_259

sunnydaze

« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2015, 06:01 pm »
Depends on the arm, but sometimes it's not so easy to snake the wire through, especially around the pivot where it can interfere with arm movement if clearances are really tight and it's not done right.

griffithds

« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2015, 07:00 pm »
Sunnydaze,

I was familiar with their posts on AG so I did contact them.  There reply was that they did not do repair work on the  Lustre tone arm.
Also you thoughts about not all tone arms being easy to re-wire does apply with the Lustre. 
I will contact Jeff at Sonic Craft.  I do like the idea of dealing with one of our own!
Thank you and FullRangeMan for the replies.  Much appreciated.
Regards,

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2015, 08:19 pm »

bacobits1

« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2015, 09:34 pm »
These guys would probably do it. Reno NV

http://www.appliedfidelity.com/

griffithds

« Reply #7 on: 26 Nov 2015, 09:38 pm »
Thanks to everyone who made suggestions.  I decided to go with Joesph De Plillips of Discovery Cable due to his reputation.  It has been rewired and  is already on its way back to me.  Now that is what I call fast service.  I should have it in my hands on Monday. :thumb: :thumb:
Regards

Nick B

« Reply #8 on: 27 Nov 2015, 02:29 am »
I am curious, so please post on the workmanship and sound

griffithds

« Reply #9 on: 3 Dec 2015, 02:59 pm »
The tone arm is back and in service.  To put to rest your inquiry Nick B, the workmanship was excellent.  I sent it out on a Friday to Discovery Cable.  He received it the following  Monday.  He completed it and sent it back to me on the following Friday and I received it on that following Monday (Priority mail). How could anyone ask for better service!  Most important is how does it perform.  Well I could not be happier.  It originally was wired with Silver wire.  It is now wired with their OFC copper.   It definitely sounds different.  More lively and 3D.  Voices are crystal clear and slightly more forward than how it sounded before.  He also did a through inspection of the arm and corrected a small problem that I have always had with this arm.  This was accomplished with no additional charge.  Cost was $150 plus return shipping which in my case was $20.  In addition to all this, Joesph is also a very likable guy.  We had several conversations centering around audio which were both enjoyable and informative.  He is now on my very short list of recommended repair facilities! :thumb: :thumb:
Regards,

Nick B

« Reply #10 on: 3 Dec 2015, 06:36 pm »
The tone arm is back and in service.  To put to rest your inquiry Nick B, the workmanship was excellent.  I sent it out on a Friday to Discovery Cable.  He received it the following  Monday.  He completed it and sent it back to me on the following Friday and I received it on that following Monday (Priority mail). How could anyone ask for better service!  Most important is how does it perform.  Well I could not be happier.  It originally was wired with Silver wire.  It is now wired with their OFC copper.   It definitely sounds different.  More lively and 3D.  Voices are crystal clear and slightly more forward than how it sounded before.  He also did a through inspection of the arm and corrected a small problem that I have always had with this arm.  This was accomplished with no additional charge.  Cost was $150 plus return shipping which in my case was $20.  In addition to all this, Joesph is also a very likable guy.  We had several conversations centering around audio which were both enjoyable and informative.  He is now on my very short list of recommended repair facilities! :thumb: :thumb:
Regards,

Thanks for the update. I may look into rewiring as my Graham 1.5 tonearm is over 20 years old.
Nick