Ultra DAC tube question

charmerci

Ultra DAC tube question
« on: 20 Oct 2016, 12:17 am »
I have three sets of tubes to be used. The stock Sovteks run fine. But the Electro-Harmonix run much warmer and smell even more. Also, RCA's look like they are "burned" a bit on top -

Is that an indication of anything? Is that normal?

They sound fine. I don't have a tube tester.

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Ultra DAC tube question
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2016, 12:42 am »
That is normal.  I use Raytheon and Sylvania 6CG7 NOS Blackplates from the 1950's in my Ultra Plus DAC and Preamp.  They give a slightly warmer, darker and fuller sound.  They remove some of the harshness of the DAC and preamp compared to the EH and RCA's.  I also have the 0627 op amps in the DAC. 

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2016, 12:49 am »
That is normal.

OK, great. Thanks. I bought this used a little while back and it's my first tube piece.

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2016, 03:11 pm »
As I read the OP, he's not saying they 'sound' warmer, he's saying they "run much warmer", and I'd probably give Frank a call about that. I doubt that there should be a noticeable difference in operating temperature between different versions of the same tube type.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2016, 03:34 pm »
As I read the OP, he's not saying they 'sound' warmer, he's saying they "run much warmer", and I'd probably give Frank a call about that. I doubt that there should be a noticeable difference in operating temperature between different versions of the same tube type.

I understand what he was saying about the temperature.  The discoloration of the tubes are normal.  It is called Getter Flash and is a sign of normal operation. It can be silver, or dark grey to almost black.  White is a bad sign and indicates a leak.  Also, different tubes will give off different amounts of heat (the 6CG7's do seem to run hotter than the 6N1P's). But I agree, to be safe, he may want to talk to Frank.

I was just throwing out some info about the sound of different tubes as I have the same gear (eventually given to my son) and tried just about every version of the 6CG7's  and Sovtek 6N1P's that are out there.

Just a word of advice, do not handle the tubes with your bare hands.  Skin oils will get on the tubes and create hot spots and they could decrease the life of the tubes.  That may also account for part of the smell.  If you do handle them, wipe them off with a clean rag.
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2016, 06:54 pm by I.Greyhound Fan »

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2016, 08:40 pm »

I was just throwing out some info about the sound of different tubes as I have the same gear (eventually given to my son) and tried just about every version of the 6CG7's  and Sovtek 6N1P's that are out there.

Just a word of advice, do not handle the tubes with your bare hands.  Skin oils will get on the tubes and create hot spots and they could decrease the life of the tubes.  That may also account for part of the smell.  If you do handle them, wipe them off with a clean rag.

The E-H 6CG7's put out a higher temperature than the Sovtek 6N1P's that came with it. (I think the RCA 6CG7's are running cooler than the E-H's, though I didn't keep them in for too long because I don't care much for the sound.) I'm not discussing the sound of the tubes.

Yes, I keep the tubes oil free.