Wavestream Phono Stage--Initial Impressions

ACHiPo

Wavestream Phono Stage--Initial Impressions
« on: 29 Aug 2016, 06:42 pm »
I've been searching for a multi-input phono stage, and read good things about the Wavestream Kinetics, which is made locally in the Bay Area, CA.  They have a couple models--their top model is an archival version that has multiple equalization options for transcribing old vinyl (and shellac) records for digitization.  I listened to the archival version and liked what I heard--quieter than my current solid state stage (although a touch of tube rush at volumes above ~1:00 on the volume knob, but normal listening volume has the knob at 10 - 11:00).  Anyway I was leaving the store and noticed a used phono stage--their basic model with 2 MC and 1 MM inputs (perfect), mono/stereo, and even a mute circuit. 

Cartridge loading is achieved by inserting RCA resistors into one of the two RCA inputs for each channel.  With no load resistor in place the default is 47 kOhm.

Gain is 68 dB for MC and 45 dB for MM, and is achieved with 1 12AX7 tubes and 4 6DJ8 tubes.  The layout is pretty clever--noisy power supply up front a long way from the shielded amplification and filter section.  Knobs are connected with looong rods to the back panel, and signal wiring is very short.  There's a flexible shield that has two grommets to hold it in position--it's quite simple to unfurl it to access the tubes--quite impressive design and implementation.

Current tube complement is a Siemens military-grade 12AX7, two Matsushita 7DJ8s, and two GE 6DJ8s.  I have some Bugle Boy 12AX7s coming, as well as a bunch of Russian 6H23Ps that I've heard good things about as 6DJ8 replacements.

Listening impressions--detail and tons of air.  Just gets saxophone and cymbals right.  Nice quiet, black background.  Perhaps a tad darker presentation than my reference Ray Samuels X10B.

More listening cemented its place on my rack.  Everything  i threw at it, from Frank Zappa's Joe's Garage to Jutta Hipp and Zoot Simms in mono, the tonality is just right.  The soundstage is both deeper and more forward, like I moved up a few rows.  My initial impressions of looser bass were a result of not having my subs hooked up.  Once I found that and fixed it, the tones and ambience fleshed out.

scottcw

Re: Wavestream Phono Stage--Initial Impressions
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2017, 12:13 am »
At what store did you find this gem? I am looking for something similar.

stevoz

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2017, 05:49 am »
Interesting.......

stevoz

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2017, 05:51 am »
My initial impressions of looser bass were a result of not having my subs hooked up.  Once I found that and fixed it, the tones and ambience fleshed out.

I'm sure the Wavelength is a fine phono-stage, but you use subs with your music.......that's just an indicator that your main speakers aren't up to the task, or the Wavelength is weak on bass. :?  :)

sturgus

« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2017, 03:40 am »
I'm sure the Wavelength is a fine phono-stage, but you use subs with your music.......that's just an indicator that your main speakers aren't up to the task, or the Wavelength is weak on bass. :?  :)
If he is still using the big Kef's they're up to the task .
Sturgus

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2017, 04:22 am »
Nice snag AC, the multi input feature is sweet. I'm sure it works well with your dual arm rig.  :thumb:

ACHiPo

« Reply #6 on: 6 Mar 2017, 04:39 am »
The Kefs are definitely full-range, but with only 2 transducers, bass nulls are still an issue, thus the two additional subs to flatten out the room response a bit.

The multi-inputs are nice--makes switching between the Zero and FR 06SE or Kleos quick and easy.