Bryston Turntable

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston Turntable
« Reply #20 on: 14 Apr 2016, 02:09 pm »
James,

Will a user be able to level the turntable using the feet on the turntable?

Also, will a user be able to replace the tonearm cable or will it be hard wired from cart to RCA plugs?

BTW, I really like the all black look in your first pic!   :thumb:

Hi

Yes the silver feet are screw adjustable.

Yes the tonearm cable can be changed - it has a custom 5 pin din whereas the other GoldNotes I am told use a more proprietary 4 pin din.

james

Big Audio

« Reply #21 on: 14 Apr 2016, 03:09 pm »
….it was just a matter of time…bravo!  All the bases covered…speakers, CD player, turntable, digital and all the supporting electronics.  Can tubes be far behind  :D :D
CLAPTON'S NEW ALBUM ON VINYL 45 RPM AND TUBE USB! (for real)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #22 on: 14 Apr 2016, 03:37 pm »
Yes not on the table to avoid motor-cartridges resonances.

Hi

From engineering:

This might have been a concern in the seventies (especially with Garrard and Thorens turntables which were idler friction-drive designs), but with today's quiet DC motors, this is not an issue.

Even if todays DC motors were vibrating (which they're not), the plinth is design to dissipate that vibration before it gets anywhere near the platter, or the cartridge.

External motors are only important when they are high-torque AC motors, but this is not the case with the Bryston table.

If you leave the motor external, every end-user would place it differently, hence stretching the belt differently, hence introduce incorrect or fluctuating speed.

Having the motor in the plinth also makes handling and packaging much easier and minimizes user-error when it comes to setup.

Arthur.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #23 on: 14 Apr 2016, 05:01 pm »
Hi James,
Is it possible to tell us more about your product. Where the arm comes from, the turntable (Clearaudio???), the materiel of the platter etc....
It looks like my Rega P3-24 with the TT-PSU.
Thanks

Bryston Turntable Features

•   Mass-loaded rigid turntable design

•   Titanium tonearm with tapered arm-wand and tungsten bearings

•   Vented, non-resonant plinth

•   35mm Delrin platter

•   Modular bearing system

•   Low-noise low-speed 33/45 motor

•   Separate power supply with pitch control

•   Adjustable brushed aluminum feet

•   Premium tonearm cable

•   Hinged dustcover

« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2016, 09:59 am by James Tanner »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #24 on: 14 Apr 2016, 05:42 pm »
Hi

From engineering:

This might have been a concern in the seventies (especially with Garrard and Thorens turntables which were idler friction-drive designs), but with today's quiet DC motors, this is not an issue.

Even if todays DC motors were vibrating (which they're not), the plinth is design to dissipate that vibration before it gets anywhere near the platter, or the cartridge.

External motors are only important when they are high-torque AC motors, but this is not the case with the Bryston table.

If you leave the motor external, every end-user would place it differently, hence stretching the belt differently, hence introduce incorrect or fluctuating speed.

Having the motor in the plinth also makes handling and packaging much easier and minimizes user-error when it comes to setup.

Arthur.

Thanks James and Arthur.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #25 on: 14 Apr 2016, 08:35 pm »

wow, a Bryston tt ?!? nice step :thumb: NEVER thought this would happen...

al.

Marius

« Reply #26 on: 14 Apr 2016, 08:52 pm »
HI James,

A wonderful new path, congrats to you all.
You embark on a journey with a lot of stiff competition, with loads of experience. Exciting!
I certainly hope this will work out for you. the BTT-1 will be a great experiment.
Though, given your pricepoint, maybe rather a costly one, considering many of your colleagues build spinners with comparable specs for at least half the price. How did your market analysis justify this?

But, not the moment to immediately start seeing bears on the road, as we say over here. Have fun and all the succes we all feel Bryston has coming to it.

Cheers,
Marius

« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2016, 06:52 am by Marius »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #27 on: 14 Apr 2016, 09:37 pm »
HI James,

A wonderful new path, congrats too you all.
You embark on a journey with a lot of stiff competition, with loads of experience. Exciting!
I certainly hope this will work out for you. the BTT-1 will be a great experiment.
Though, given your pricepoint, maybe rather a costly one, considering many of your colleagues build spinners with comparable specs for at least half the price. How did your market analysis justify this?

But, not the moment to immediately start seeing bears on the road, as we say over here. Have fun and all the succes we all feel Bryston has coming to it.

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius

This table will be well worth its price and the performance is exceptional.  I did not go into this lightly and honestly you get what you pay for.  Quality bearings, quality motors and platters as well as an excellent power supply does not come cheap. The Tonearm alone on this table is in the $2000 price range. The Bryston power supply on its own would sell for $1000 as well.

Plus one of the major advantages we will have is we will be able to offer cartridges and phono stages which will match identically (impedance, loading, capacitance, gain requirements etc.) to provide our customers with predictable performance.

james

PS - I agree that most people will see this as a bad decision but most of the feedback I got on my speaker idea was negative as well and that has been a huge success. I think if you have the passion for audio like I do and the means to bring quality high value products to the market you should do so. I am very proud of what Bryston has accomplished and I am blessed to be involved in an industry that brings pleasure to other people's lives.

ttsto

« Reply #28 on: 15 Apr 2016, 05:00 am »
Do you plan to make it work with MPS-2 power supply?
Will be a good use for it with pre and phono..

TJ-Sully

« Reply #29 on: 15 Apr 2016, 06:26 am »
Hi Marius

This table will be well worth its price and the performance is exceptional.  I did not go into this lightly and honestly you get what you pay for.  Quality bearings, quality motors and platters as well as an excellent power supply does not come cheap. The Tonearm alone on this table is in the $2000 price range. The Bryston power supply on its own would sell for $1000 as well.

Plus one of the major advantages we will have is we will be able to offer cartridges and phono stages which will match identically (impedance, loading, capacitance, gain requirements etc.) to provide our customers with predictable performance.

james

PS - I agree that most people will see this as a bad decision but most of the feedback I got on my speaker idea was negative as well and that has been a huge success. I think if you have the passion for audio like I do and the means to bring quality high value products to the market you should do so. I am very proud of what Bryston has accomplished and I am blessed to be involved in an industry that brings pleasure to other people's lives.

Congratulations James on this bold and clever idea.
As a full-system customer I am also proud of Bryston for being such a fantastic Canadian company. So great to see (and hear) such wonderful innovation and product development. Keep 'er coming JT!

cheers,TJ

Marius

« Reply #30 on: 15 Apr 2016, 06:57 am »

+1! Fingers crossed. As a Mps-2, BP-26 and BP 1.5 phono user, I strongly emphasize that wish...

Cheers Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 15 Apr 2016, 09:10 am »

Hi

I do not think I can do that as the supply is a dedicated 32 volt supply and the speed buttons etc. are part of the power supply but I will ask engineering.

james

Marius

« Reply #32 on: 15 Apr 2016, 10:26 am »
Hi

I do not think I can do that as the supply is a dedicated 32 volt supply and the speed buttons etc. are part of the power supply but I will ask engineering.

james

ahh Please James think of your customers, this would certainly be of major design advantage, just as the technical advantages, you mentioned..... ("the major advantages we will have is we will be able to offer cartridges and phono stages which will match identically (impedance, loading, capacitance, gain requirements etc.) to provide our customers with predictable performance")

Have Bryston system, designed to sound And look good, and make use of earlier investments, of high quality system parts. Which per design have spare room for utilization. (since you keep developing new devices that use their own power source and won't have them use the Mps-2...)

What would fit better to the Mps-2/BP1.5 combo than the BTT-1!
Hope you can do it,
Marius

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #33 on: 15 Apr 2016, 11:25 am »
I don't mean to splash cold water on the love-in here, so I will be brief.

I love Bryston. You guys make the best amps in the business. Tons of experience there. I also believe in specialization when it comes to building a two-channel audio system. Bryston for amps. Bryston for digital (so far). Another company for analog cartridges (e.g. Ortofon, Koetsu, etc. come to mind). Yet another for TT (Clearaudio, Rega, VPI, to name a few) and speakers (Focal, Sonus Faber, B&W, Magnepan, Vienna Acoustics, etc.). These companies make one thing -- and they do it superbly.

Not saying Bryston's TT won't be successful. I just think it's far better to specialize and maintain that 1% top-of-heap excellence in one niche (or two), than be a jack-of-all-trades.

Good luck with the TT. I will stick with my Clearaudio Ovation and wood MM cart.

cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 15 Apr 2016, 12:34 pm »
I don't mean to splash cold water on the love-in here, so I will be brief.

I love Bryston. You guys make the best amps in the business. Tons of experience there. I also believe in specialization when it comes to building a two-channel audio system. Bryston for amps. Bryston for digital (so far). Another company for analog cartridges (e.g. Ortofon, Koetsu, etc. come to mind). Yet another for TT (Clearaudio, Rega, VPI, to name a few) and speakers (Focal, Sonus Faber, B&W, Magnepan, Vienna Acoustics, etc.). These companies make one thing -- and they do it superbly.

Not saying Bryston's TT won't be successful. I just think it's far better to specialize and maintain that 1% top-of-heap excellence in one niche (or two), than be a jack-of-all-trades.

Good luck with the TT. I will stick with my Clearaudio Ovation and wood MM cart.

cheers

Hi Canadian

I share your concern with how some people view this as a lack of expertise with specific products but I think like the Bryston speakers if you offer your customers real value in a product that performs as well as the best and better than most you are doing the right thing for the customer and the company.  Like the Bryston speakers this turntable is based on real science. 

As with the Bryston Speakers or our BIT Isolation Transformer products I have gone to the experts in the respective fields and based on their extensive knowledge to help me design a product that would perform at the highest level without all the marketing hype or cosmetic jewelry in the mix. I wanted a state of the art turntable that us mortals could afford and if you start adding up all those extraneous features (IMO) you end up with exotic prices and not necessarily better performance.

These folks I have collaborated with have many years of turntable design experience and like the speakers I have learned that there is a lot of misinformation about vinyl playback and the mechanics involved. For instance, I have found during this research that there are a number of myths and even some outright misinformation that is an accepted part of the turntable market which simple does not fly when you look at the real mechanical facts.  For example using anti-skate actually impairs performance rather than helps.

Time will tell if I am totally wrong or right of course and I have not jumped in with both feet yet and may not but I have a one of a kind great sounding turntable at home now - LOL.

James

Hicham

« Reply #35 on: 15 Apr 2016, 01:38 pm »
This Saturday, from Toronto’s June Records to Vienna’s Supersense to Ulaanbaatar’s Dund Gol,  thousands of retailers around the world will participate in Record Store Day.
........Annual U.S. sales of new vinyl records have grown from 1.88 million to twelve million.

Good article in today's New Yorker:

http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/new-hope-for-record-store-days-vinyl-supply-troubles?intcid=mod-latest

Rocket

« Reply #36 on: 15 Apr 2016, 01:55 pm »
Hi James,

Have you decided on the type of finish that you want for the plinth?  I have a Blue note Valore 'Italian Job' which has a nice red leather finish which looks quite classy imo.

Just an idea of course.  This bodes well for vinyl's future I think as many manufacturers are coming back to this format.

Cheers Rod

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #37 on: 15 Apr 2016, 02:02 pm »
ha ha will be spinning the table at home this WE for sure.
 :dance: :dance: :dance:http://www.audiocircle.com/Smileys/audiocircle/sm_dance.gif

martydmnt

« Reply #38 on: 15 Apr 2016, 02:45 pm »
I share your concern with how some people view this as a lack of expertise with specific products but I think like the Bryston speakers if you offer your customers real value in a product that performs as well as the best and better than most you are doing the right thing for the customer and the company.  Like the Bryston speakers this turntable is based on real science. 

Let me suggest that coming from the outside affords an opportunity to challenge the assumptions and so-called institutional knowledge that can sometimes stifle innovation and improvement. As an engineer, I see that all the time.

I really like the understated look. Though it's out of my price range, I'll be interested to hear it. Maybe there will be some trickle down the road to a lower price point, like the speaker line.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #39 on: 15 Apr 2016, 03:58 pm »
Hi James,

Have you decided on the type of finish that you want for the plinth?  I have a Blue note Valore 'Italian Job' which has a nice red leather finish which looks quite classy imo.

Just an idea of course.  This bodes well for vinyl's future I think as many manufacturers are coming back to this format.

Cheers Rod

Hi Rod,

Yes I got a sample in white leather but felt that the standard black and silver should be our starting point.

james