using stepped attenuators instead of a line amp: HELP!

cporada

I'm wondering if anyone out there has tried using stepped attenuators in place of a line amp (I am looking specifically at Scott Endler's Attenuators, based on the great reviews in Positive Feedback and the very low price) and would be willing to offer an opinion on the pluses/minuses of using these versus a line amp, i.e., what improvements could I expect, are there any downsides, etc.
Also, regarding hook-up, I'm wondering if anyone could make any suggestions with my current setup.  The problem is as follows.  I currently have the output of my CD/SACD player going into my Michael Yee LA-1 line amp.  I then have a Y-adaptor hooked into each of the outputs of the LA-1, with one interconnect for each channel going to the appropriate input on my power amp (Michael Yee PA-1) and the other going to each of my pair of stereo subwoofers (to the RCA inputs on the plate amp).  How could I go about using the attenuators in place of the LA-1 yet still keep the subwoofers?  I understand the best way to use the attenuators is to plug them directly into the inputs of the PA-1, and run the CD player’s outputs into the shotguns, but is it possible to use a Y-adaptor at the PA-1 input, place the attenuator just “upstream” of the Y, in essence giving the attenuator 2 outputs, one of which would go directly into the PA-1 and the other of which would go to an interconnect to the subwoofers?  The concern I have over this option is the fact that the subwoofer interconnects are around 10 feet long, which I have read is not a good thing for stepped attenuators.  Would it be better/possible to place the Y at the output of the CD player, and run one set of interconnects directly to the shotguns plugged directly into the PA-1 for the majority of the frequency range and the other set of interconnects to the LA-1 and still use the LA-1 to regulate the volume of the subwoofers?

Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions!
Chris