Chromecast Audio. Game changer or not?

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
  • Managing Director and Founder at Sonneteer
    • Sonneteer, made in Britain since 1994
Chromecast Audio. Game changer or not?
« on: 5 Oct 2015, 09:13 am »
Hi
Google have announced their vinyl disk shaped Chromecast audio dongle or pod. Not a lot of technical detail is to hand as yet, but does any one think it's a game changer being so cheap and with a digital connection.

I look forward to thoughts.

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

JohnR

Re: Chromecast Audio. Game changer or not?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2015, 09:45 am »
Hi Haider, more information?

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2015, 10:39 am »
Hi John,

This link from Google tells us most of what I know so far:

http://www.google.com/chromecast/speakers/

it is clearly aimed at the masses, but the optical input offers us a DAC connection of course.  It's not quite DSD but it sounds like a lot can be done with this for a very reasonable price. SONOS should be quaking a bit.

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

Bemopti123

« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2015, 10:56 am »
Not analyzing the specs of the device, I wonder what separates this with a AptX bluetooth receiver or dock.  Perhaps a DAC function? 

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2015, 12:24 pm »
Hi

I assume, it having an optical output means it will be able to produce uncompressed digital data as well as anything else. Bluetooth, as yet, does not do this. The line out signals can only be coming out of a DAC internally. Having yet to hear it, I cannot say how good it is. I imagine any power supply plugged into it will have a lot of say on quality.

It has certainly got us thinking as we are in the latter design phases of our next few things.

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 5 Oct 2015, 01:38 pm »
I'd rather see a digital coax as I believe optical is bandwidth limited to 24/96 resolution.....which isn't bad, but will be limiting in terms of HD streaming. It's definitely a step up from Bluetooth and a step up from standard redbook resolution. So for $35, I'd say that's a pretty major bargain and could be somewhat game changing, thinking about where we are today and how complex and expensive things along these lines can be.

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 5 Oct 2015, 01:42 pm »
Yes indeed, I agree.

It would be interesting, if this gets adopted in a big way by wider market then will we see some modules or dongles that serve higher resolution audio? Assuming it works well, for the price, you can't really go wrong.

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 5 Oct 2015, 02:46 pm »
SONOS should be quaking a bit.

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

If it works as indicated, I agree.

mr_bill

« Reply #8 on: 5 Oct 2015, 11:19 pm »
I bought one. Got it Friday but haven't tried it yet. Will use as transport toslink out.
Pretty handy for Pandora, google play iheart radio. I suspect better than Bluetooth and I like the digital out and small size.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #9 on: 6 Oct 2015, 12:14 am »
I know very little about apps, clouds, and computer music in general.  But I found this info, is there any concern?  Or are there other ways to listen to music on a chromecast besides Google Play Music? Sorry for the poor formatting,  but that's all I can do on my tablet.

Google Play Music supported file types

If you’re using Music Manager or Google Play Music for Chrome to upload music to your library, here are the types of files you can upload.

Note: Each music file can be up to 300 MB. When a file is converted to an MP3, the 300 MB limit applies to the converted MP3 file.

Supported file type   Notes about supported file type
MP3 (.mp3)   
AAC (.m4a)   Files are converted to the same bitrate (quality) .mp3 files
WMA (.wma)   Can be uploaded using the Windows version of Music Manager, not Google Play Music for Chrome
FLAC (.flac)   16 and 24-bit mono or stereo files supported
Files are converted to 320 kbps .mp3 files
OGG (.ogg)   Files are converted to the same bitrate (quality) .mp3 files
DRM protected AAC (.m4p)   Some .m4p files can’t be uploaded
Files are converted to the same bitrate (quality) .mp3 files
ALAC (.m4a)   16-bit files supported
Files are converted to 320 kbps .mp3 files
Some music file types, including WAV (.wav), AIFF (.aiff), and RA (.r) can’t be uploaded to your library using Music Manager or Google Play Music for Chrome.

kbuzz3

« Reply #10 on: 6 Oct 2015, 02:05 am »
I ordered one. Curious if it sounds better then anything coming out of an Apple TV or basic Sonos connect via optical to dac or AV processor

So far early reports are unclear whether the chromecast will cast uncompressed files, particularly using an iOS control.  I'd vote game changer but only if it allows direct streaming of flac files, controlled by iOS device and not transcoded to MP3.

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 6 Oct 2015, 03:29 pm »
I believe, and don't quote me on this, that quite a few apps will ultimately be supporting this including Spotify and Deezer. I think Google are trying to consolidate all media (audio in this case) into some kind of all in one TV guide type system to view all local and online available audio.

Be curious where Microsoft go with respect to this as they are trying to get more audio friendly with Win10.

At the top end we will still be plugging in to DACs from laptops, tablets etc. Oh and of course Vinyl, but for all things general, including radio, I think this may be an interesting place for the cheese (as in, who moved my cheese?). If it can play WAV or FLAC at 16bit+ then most will be more than happy.

Proof of pudding in eating and so on....

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 7 Oct 2015, 02:02 pm »
Just found a lot more detail here:

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6279372?hl=en-GB&ref_topic=6279364&vid=1-635798221471193692-2487497720&rd=1

One or two of the reviews already written seem to be favourable. Of course the context is the $35 or £30 price tag. A mini Tosslink connector will give you a up to a 24bit 96kHz resolution capability.

I am sure there will be partner companies now working on higher resolution out put products using Coax or even USB. But we are already talking beyond CD here. I have heard one or two voices shouting out, 'Not bit perfect'. I assume this will be app dependant? Also, I imagine performance to the ear is all?

I hope to get one soon to try.

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 7 Oct 2015, 03:56 pm »
Now here's the thing. I am already asking myself the question, if I open it and bypass the optical link can I get a full SPDIF out? I2S would be messy.

haider
sonneteer.co.uk

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 8 Oct 2015, 11:25 am »
And if you want to see some innards:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Chromecast+2015+Teardown/50189

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #15 on: 8 Oct 2015, 02:08 pm »
When they implant a chip in my head that lets me experience hi-res music I'll vote "game changer."

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 8 Oct 2015, 02:10 pm »
When they implant a chip in my head that lets me experience hi-res music I'll vote "game changer."

We will be activating it when the software is ready ;-)

What song would you like us to start with?

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

kbuzz3

« Reply #17 on: 18 Oct 2015, 06:52 pm »
Well mine sounds decent. However, i have read on other forums that the current software transcode down to below cd quality.  You can tell if you hook it up to an AVR or similar device which lets you read the coding rate.  Google has responded in at least one forum that this will be corrected in the next software update. So bottom line...too early to tell

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 19 Oct 2015, 07:38 am »
Well mine sounds decent. However, i have read on other forums that the current software transcode down to below cd quality.  You can tell if you hook it up to an AVR or similar device which lets you read the coding rate.  Google has responded in at least one forum that this will be corrected in the next software update. So bottom line...too early to tell

Thank you. Yes indeed probably a bit early, but so far mine sounds decent too. For the money it is a very OK and listen-able thing even just through the 3.5mm jack. The option to optic it out to an outboard DAC may not be necessary for general listening (radio etc.)

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
Reboot Topic: Chromecast Audio. Game changer or not?
« Reply #19 on: 25 Jul 2016, 01:33 pm »
Hi,

Since I posted this topic, Chromecast audio and Google Cast for Audio have gone from strength to strength.

Tidal has joined the party and SONOS has all but left it. Also Multi-room is now a Chrome reality.

So where are we headed from here? What are your experiences?

Haider