Planning To Purchase A Pair of Magnepan 3.7's, Verifying My Room Big Enough?

Slapshot

I was at a Magnepan dealer about a week ago, with a friend who is considering purchasing the 1.7i's. I thought the 1.7's were a exceptional value, but then we heard the 3.7i's. They simply offered more of everything. Of course, the price also offers a great deal more of everything. They had the 3.7's placed about 7 feet apart, and the listening chair formed a perfect triangle with the speakers, seven feet back. The speakers were about 5 feet out from the wall. The salesman we were dealing with (who owns an entire Maggie home theater/audio system) said that setup they had in place was optimum. That certainly surprised me, but the sound was really amazing, so I suppose I must take him at his word. Given how impressed I was by the 3.7i's, I'm seriously looking at purchasing a used pair, and eventually having them upgraded to "i" status.

Based on the way they had them set up at the audio dealer, they should be fine in my 13 x 16 room, correct? Their audition room was no wider, and only slightly longer, and I could place them, in my room, exactly as they had theirs. The salesman agreed I should have no problem at all. I would appreciate your thoughts, as I may be close to a deal on a local pair of the 3.7's. Thanks.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
If your local deal doesn't happen, I have a pair of 3.7s that are currently languishing in their box. I could send them to Magnepan for the mysterious 'i' (and return to stock at the connector plates) and they could ship them to you when done. However, I want to try something first. I took one of the Mye Stand bases to my former bedroom and placed it in front of one of my modded MMGs (which are beginning to delaminate) - they'd 'fit'. It would be stupid not to, at least, try the 3.7s in that room. If they work in that room, I'll give them to my daughter.

Otherwise, I have no idea what I'll do with them. If I'm going to lose my ass by selling them, I'd rather it be to someone I 'know'. Obviously, the Mye Stands would be part of the deal.

jaylevine

I think you would be fine. I had a set of 3.7s in a room slightly narrower but much longer. The Maggie's were about 3 off the rear wall and about 2 feet off the side wall--they sounded fantastic. From my point of view the most important part is the relationship between the speakers and your listening position, which it sounds like you've got covered.

Personally I would just look for a pair of 3.7i instead of upgrading a pair of 3.7 re: by the time you get done with the upgrade and shipping you'll be out just as much or more.....

geowak

I have a pair of MMGs is a room similar in size to your room. They sound very good, and I have much room around them. I do not listen at rock concert levels. I would think they would need plenty of quality watts and current to feed them. I am only running a tube amp that tops out at 32wpc and at low to moderate volume it sounds superb. I have used a SS amp at about 400wpc and it sounds great with that one.

Slapshot

I think you would be fine. I had a set of 3.7s in a room slightly narrower but much longer. The Maggie's were about 3 off the rear wall and about 2 feet off the side wall--they sounded fantastic. From my point of view the most important part is the relationship between the speakers and your listening position, which it sounds like you've got covered.

Personally I would just look for a pair of 3.7i instead of upgrading a pair of 3.7 re: by the time you get done with the upgrade and shipping you'll be out just as much or more.....

Thanks for the information, Jay. Much appreciated.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
I'll confirm that you can make them work in such a room. My daughter will use the 3.7s for now, in a slightly smaller room. I guess I won't sell them, after all. She really digs them and I can continue to listen to them. Anyway, planting large planars in a small room pretty much dictates a near field setup and they sound superb that way. Now, there's no denying that is a different presentation than the Limage delivers, but it's no less engaging. For the first time, I'm actually getting satisfying bass out of a pair of Maggies - hmm.

Hear Clifford Brown

I've got 3.7i's in a room that is approximately 14' wide by 19' long, speakers on the short wall.  It's asymmetrical in width so one speaker is farther from it's side wall than the other.

Where do you guys measure from on the speakers?

Mine are positioned tweeters on the inside, toed in so that the tweeters are aimed directly at my ears.  Measured from the inside edge of the speakers, they are 56" apart.  Measuring on a line parallel to the floor, my ear to the center of the tweeter is 107".  Measured from the back of the tweeters, they are 56" from the wall behind.  Measured from the outside edge the right speaker is 16" from the side wall and the left 52" from the side wall.  From my ear to the wall behind is 58"

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Yeah, they'll be all right in your room.
You'll probably have to shove them further back than 7' out from the far (front) wall, though.  You don't want the things in your lap.
The further back you go, and the more you toe them in, the more bass response you'll experience.  I'd start at around 4' out with some mild toe in and take it from there.
You want the ribbons aimed more or less towards your ears and I'd go ribbons on the inside, no resistors.
The whole resistor thing came about because somebody was going off about high frequency harshness or something along those lines and Wendell decided that it was an issue that needed to be addressed.  I never found the high frequencies to be an issue in the least but my dog spends a lot of time right in front of them when Syd Barrett-era Pink Floyd is playing so who can say.  Her hearing is far better than mine ever was.
The thing to do is to get a nubile assistant (kind of like Vanna White) to move the speakers around while you sit and listen to the changes.  You'll know when you've got it right for your room.
Magnepan has a good set up primer on their web site
http://www.magnepan.com/manual_37#SpeakerPlacement

If Ms. White is wearing too much clothing it can skew the results so employ your powers of persuasion.  Less is more, as they say.

Slapshot

Steve,

Thanks very much for the reply. I like your idea on the nubile assistant helping with the setup. And yes, given the amount of clothing, the setup could indeed take an extended time to resolve!

rangerdave

Slapshot,    Be sure and try the 3.7's with the ribbons to the inside AND with them to the outside. I have the 20.1's in a similar sized room (13.5' by 21.5') on the short wall, and expected to have them with ribbons to the inside. Listening both ways, it was very clear that in my room, the ribbons out was superior. Mine are toed in about 6" and they are just over 5' from the front wall. (I have vinyl shelves behind them against the front wall which I think helps. Also, mine are positioned with 9' 4" between the ribbons. They work great in my room and I'm sure yours will work fine in your room. Enjoy !!

RD

Rclark

What's the "i"? They add an intercooler and pinstripes?

Magnepan gone all Apple on us. The beginning of the end.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Details are on a need to know basis, Mr. Clark.
Mine said "shred before reading"(?).