AXPONA - April 24-26

Brian Walsh

AXPONA - April 24-26
« on: 15 Mar 2015, 02:42 am »
I'm delighted to report that Duke LeJeune, esteemed speaker designer, builder, and chief cook and bottle washer at AudioKinesis, will be with us at the upcoming show here in Chicago. The demo system will include the Zephrin 46s driven by Atma-Sphere M-60s, along with the Atma-Sphere UV-1 preamp, Aurender music servers, Exogal Comet Plus DAC, AMR CD player, Kuzma turntable with two arms and cartridges, and cabling and accessories by Clarity Cable and Teo Audio.

Come meet Duke and check out the speakers!

Here's a sneak peek of the ad we'll have in the show guide. The Exogal ad will be on the facing page, so the Exogal name is highlighted in red as a visual link to their ad.

roscoeiii

Re: AXPONA - April 24-26
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2015, 03:44 am »
Fabulous news.

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2015, 07:15 am »
That ad is absolutely stunning, Brian.   Poster-worthy.    Frame-worthy. 

Thank you very much for believing in my speaker, and for putting so much of your time and resources and expertise into showing it from its best angles!!   You sell a LOT of very cool equipment, and it is an honor to have my speaker (with YOUR paint job!) be given such a prominent position.

It took me a long time to reach the point where I felt like I had a speaker that was ready to be sold through a select dealer network, and Jim Romeyn obviously played a role in me getting to that point.  I am proud be represented by you. 

arjank

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2015, 10:03 am »
Nice stuff Duke, I just checked the Zephrin 46 on your site. Is the mid a Faital unit?
Dig the LCS design, very creative.

Kind of reminds me of my own (small) home-audio speakers I build last year where I used a small tweeter(rear wall and sealing splashing  :D )  to increase the high frequency energy throughout the room. Nice thing is that it gives the impression that the overal sound doesn't change much when you walk across the room. What I tried to achieve was that the tweeter starts to kick in when the off-axis response of the fullrange driver starts to drop off. So on-axis the "ambient" tweeter doesn't do much, this keeps all the fullrange driver qualities (like imaging) in tact. It's a totally different approach then the LCS in which you try to enhance the reverbarent field.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/255643-micro-faatt-w4-1320-sif-nd16fa.html pics are only visible when logging in to that forum though....

Grtz,
Arjan
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2015, 03:19 pm by arjank »

Brian Walsh

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2015, 12:40 am »
Here is a snapshot of the system demonstrated at yesterday's open house here, most of which will be in the system at AXPONA.

Brian Walsh

« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2015, 02:11 pm »
Duke is showing up early next week to install the new, much better compression drivers and matching crossovers which he is breaking in at the moment. Based upon what others have said this should provide a substantial improvement to what's already a great sounding loudspeaker, and I'm surely looking forward to it as we debut this update. The price hasn't changed, still $4900 a pair plus shipping (from Dallas/Fort Worth area, where Duke is now).

Brian Walsh

« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2015, 04:25 pm »
Here is a photo of the Zephrin 46 with the new waveguide and optional beryllium diaphragm compression driver. Duke arrives today to install these and replacement crossovers (all broken in) in the speakers for the show.

roscoeiii

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2015, 04:31 pm »
Here is a photo of the Zephrin 46 with the new waveguide and optional beryllium diaphragm compression driver. Duke arrives today to install these and replacement crossovers (all broken in) in the speakers for the show.

New waveguide and optional beryllium diaphragm compression driver? Very exciting!

Really looking forward to that room!

TomS

« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2015, 04:33 pm »
Oh yeah, very nice, very much looking forward to it  :thumb:

JoshK

« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2015, 01:25 am »
SEOS waveguide...very nice! 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 22 Apr 2015, 01:28 am »
Will these be at RMAF those that are not attending Axpona?

Brian Walsh

« Reply #11 on: 22 Apr 2015, 04:07 am »
Will these be at RMAF those that are not attending Axpona?
I read your question to Duke a little while ago while he was working on the speakers, and he wasn't sure what model will be shown but thinks it will have an SEOS waveguide in it, which the Zephrin 46 now does (good eye, JoshK).

Brian Walsh

« Reply #12 on: 23 Apr 2015, 03:30 am »
The speakers are upgraded and singing! Oh baby, just wait till you hear them! Duke was hearing all kinds of stuff for the first time in music he knows well.

steve f

« Reply #13 on: 1 May 2015, 07:22 pm »
My son and I had the pleasure of listening to the "newest version" of the Zephrin 46 loudspeaker. We both found the presentation smooth and yet well focused. I would have loved a chance to hear the speakers set up so that the LCS could be turned on or off. The only negative is that the speaker could have benefitted by a different amplifier. Sorry, I know you are dealers for the ones you chose. Don't flame, i I prefer an amp with lower distortion, and a tighter grip on the speakers.

I did meet James Romeyn, but missed Duke. Thanks guys.

steve
« Last Edit: 3 May 2015, 04:29 am by steve f »

steve f

« Reply #14 on: 3 May 2015, 04:30 am »
Come on guys. I can't be the only AC guy to check out this speaker. What do you guys think? I was impressed. How about you?

Steve

Brian Walsh

« Reply #15 on: 3 May 2015, 04:36 am »
Hi Steve,
Thanks for your comments and glad you met Jim. You are welcome to bring whatever amplifier(s) you have in mind here to listen, and we can disconnect the LCS section for comparison if you like.

Brian

csmgolf

« Reply #16 on: 3 May 2015, 10:41 pm »
I mentioned in my general comments about Axpona that I really enjoyed these speakers. I got the opportunity to listen to one of my own tunes that I am very familiar with and they sounded terrific. I would love to be able to experiment with the myriad of set up and adjustment options, as well as different front end equipment. I got the impression from the show that they would excel with many different options. My limited audition was very positive and they are a speaker that will give more and more as the quality of the electronics goes up. On top of that, Duke is a true gentleman who is always willing to share knowledge and help with improving the sound of your system. It would be a big win-win to purchase from him.

Brian Walsh

« Reply #17 on: 4 May 2015, 05:17 am »
Hi csmgolf,
I'm very glad to hear you enjoyed the sound in our room and connected to the music. You're right, Duke is a gentleman and always helpful. I'm honored to be a dealer for him. He surely got a big kick out of the system, which showed off the speakers' capabilities. In all likelihood we'll do it all again next year. Meanwhile I invite you to come for a listen and bring whatever equipment you'd like to hear with the Zephrins. They are indeed very adjustable for different equipment and setups.

Brian Walsh

« Reply #18 on: 23 May 2015, 11:33 pm »
The Audio Traveler (Part Time Audiophile) reports on our room at AXPONA.

Overjoyed with the reviewer's comments and honored to be associated with Duke LeJeune and all of the other fine people who helped.