Linked Events

• Capital Audiofest 2011: 8 Jul 2011 - 10 Jul 2011

Capital Audiofest 2011

Saturn94

Re: Capital Audiofest 2011
« Reply #60 on: 25 Jul 2011, 01:35 pm »
Except the JBLs have been supplanted in the final production model by an even longer stroke (14mm vs 11.5 one way, over 1" p-p) driver that also operates optimally in a small sealed enclosure. I spent the weekend torture testing the mules with the new driver. And the new class d amp that almost doubles the power of the show amp (200w rms vs 110). I designed these monitors specifically not to be hi-passed (unless you are watching WOTW movie effects) with any music, but rather to run full bandwidth (below 30hz extension in all rooms tested so far), so that there is a full bandwidth LF source elevated closer to center height of room. Feel free to add subs to extend below 20hz and smooth the response where modal issues will be most likely (40hz-150hz), I would encourage that if you already have them. There will be both line level and a slave power amplifier output on the Monitor for just such purposes, so that even a passive sub can be added. Or a stand like no other.
The directional characteristics >1khz and suggested cross-fire toe-in should negate the need for any room treatments (which I eschew) in all but the narrowest spaces.
Thanks for the compliment. The perceived sound was no accident. They are designed to do exactly what they did, to sound exactly like what they are designed to do.

cheers,

AJ

At least this way, I won't have to answer to "Are those JBL's"? :wink:

Sounds like it's progressing nicely.  Have you received any orders yet?

tesseract

« Reply #61 on: 25 Jul 2011, 07:42 pm »
Except the JBLs have been supplanted in the final production model by an even longer stroke (14mm vs 11.5 one way, over 1" p-p) driver that also operates optimally in a small sealed enclosure. I spent the weekend torture testing the mules with the new driver. And the new class d amp that almost doubles the power of the show amp (200w rms vs 110). I designed these monitors specifically not to be hi-passed (unless you are watching WOTW movie effects) with any music, but rather to run full bandwidth (below 30hz extension in all rooms tested so far), so that there is a full bandwidth LF source elevated closer to center height of room. Feel free to add subs to extend below 20hz and smooth the response where modal issues will be most likely (40hz-150hz), I would encourage that if you already have them. There will be both line level and a slave power amplifier output on the Monitor for just such purposes, so that even a passive sub can be added. Or a stand like no other.
The directional characteristics >1khz and suggested cross-fire toe-in should negate the need for any room treatments (which I eschew) in all but the narrowest spaces.
Thanks for the compliment. The perceived sound was no accident. They are designed to do exactly what they did, to sound exactly like what they are designed to do.

cheers,

AJ

At least this way, I won't have to answer to "Are those JBL's"? :wink:

This is EXACTLY what I am looking for. Sealed, I don't like trying to integrate ported mains with my sealed subs. I need something that can do bass in the front (up around the room's center line is a bonus), that allows me to move my dual sealed 18" subs elsewhere to smooth the room. I don't care for treatments (although I use light foam to knock down slap echo). I don't want to high pass the mains.

I have a genuine interest in these, some questions if you don't mind. You can PM me answers if you prefer.

1. What is the sensitivity rating, I am guessing between 86-88 dB?

3. XO : Is the KEF driver now high passed? Is the stock XO retained between tweeter and woofer? Any BSC?

2. When are these going to be ready?

3.What do you call them?

4. Are those eD's?   :wink:

5. How do they sound playing "Korn"?   :icon_twisted: (My "Gaucho" DVD-A just arrived in the mail, yay).
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2011, 11:30 pm by tesseract »

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #62 on: 26 Jul 2011, 12:10 am »
Sounds like it's progressing nicely.
Actually it's been agonizingly slow. Finding a reliable CNC shop around here.

Have you received any orders yet?
Yep.

cheers,

AJ

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #63 on: 26 Jul 2011, 12:34 am »
This is EXACTLY what I am looking for. Sealed, I don't like trying to integrate ported mains with my sealed subs. I need something that can do bass in the front (up around the room's center line is a bonus), that allows me to move my dual sealed 18" subs elsewhere to smooth the room. I don't care for treatments (although I use light foam to knock down slap echo). I don't want to high pass the mains.
Feel free to join the order queue. Cherry, Maple or Piano Gloss Black. :lol:
Dual 18's for music? That seems more like WOTW stuff. I would definitely recommended hi-passing for HT, where 5-10hz bursts are going to give even big subs a workout.

I have a genuine interest in these, some questions if you don't mind. You can PM me answers if you prefer.
No, that's ok. Even if you were insincere and intending only to clone them (probably inevitable with DIYers and the sincerest form of flattery), I would still post this openly for all to be informed.

1. What is the sensitivity rating, I am guessing between 86-88 dB? Yes

3. XO : Is the KEF driver now high passed? Yes Is the stock XO retained between tweeter and woofer? No Any BSC? No. Full measurement data will be provided on the site

2. When are these going to be ready?  August 3rd, maybe sooner

3.What do you call them? Monitor 1

4. Are those eD's?   :wink:  Yes, custom spec'd

5. How do they sound playing "Korn"?   :icon_twisted: (My "Gaucho" DVD-A just arrived in the mail, yay).
All 4 of my Korn albums sound just fine.

cheers,

AJ

MLS

« Reply #64 on: 26 Jul 2011, 12:39 am »
Looking great AJ.

tesseract

« Reply #65 on: 26 Jul 2011, 03:27 am »
Feel free to join the order queue. Cherry, Maple or Piano Gloss Black. :lol:

I have half the dough saved, I''l buy one right now and the other in October.  :D   I have been saving for new speakers to buy this fall, already sold my B&W's. I had it narrowed down to one choice until you came along, now I have a decision to make while I save.

Dual 18's for music? That seems more like WOTW stuff. I would definitely recommended hi-passing for HT, where 5-10hz bursts are going to give even big subs a workout.

Nope, for music. I do watch movies but I'm not trying to hit reference levels. My modest system is in my gallery. I moderate a speaker manufacturer's forum, a HT forum and am the resident 2 channel guy on the HT one. I had a hand in the concept of the subs so I had to have a pair. Word on the street is they are very musical. FWIW, I agree. With the Monitor 1 in play, the 18's only need to do >20 Hz bass and smooth the room. If I don't need the 18's... bonus, I'll save them for movies. But I think they will help.

No, that's ok. Even if you were insincere and intending only to clone them (probably inevitable with DIYers and the sincerest form of flattery), I would still post this openly for all to be informed.

I could just buy a KEF monitor out right. I got subs.  :lol:  Your speakers are sealed, give bass above the room's center line, yada yada, all the things I mentioned before. Keeps me from buying more subs to smooth the room, now I'll have 4 subs. I think what you are offering is a screaming bargain. There is only one other speaker I am considering, the Chase SHO-10. It has attributes I like too, as I said, I have a decision to make.

I'm not a DIY'er, so you will be building the Monitor 1 if I decide to go with it. Besides, you spec'ed the passive XO, gotta have that.

« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2011, 07:30 am by tesseract »

Saturn94

« Reply #66 on: 26 Jul 2011, 08:21 pm »
Actually it's been agonizingly slow. Finding a reliable CNC shop around here.
Yep.

cheers,

AJ

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a "CNC shop"? :oops:

Let us know when you get your website up and running. :)

Also, like we discussed before, I hope at some point you are able to do a "speaker tour". :wink:

tesseract

« Reply #67 on: 26 Jul 2011, 08:33 pm »
CNC = computer numerical control.

Here AJ, build your own.   :thumb:  http://www.woodsolutions.com/diy-cnc.htm

Looking forward to the website, too.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #68 on: 27 Jul 2011, 01:14 am »
I have half the dough saved, I''l buy one right now and the other in October.  :D   I have been saving for new speakers to buy this fall, already sold my B&W's. I had it narrowed down to one choice until you came along, now I have a decision to make while I save.
I'm going to try to hold the price at $1k/pr despite the more expensive components. No guarantees, but that is still my goal. It's basically break even, but if word gets around and demand rises...:wink:.
Can't help you with the decision between these and the market, including the Chase speaker you mentioned.

Nope, for music. I do watch movies but I'm not trying to hit reference levels. My modest system is in my gallery. I moderate a speaker manufacturer's forum, a HT forum and am the resident 2 channel guy on the HT one. I had a hand in the concept of the subs so I had to have a pair. Word on the street is they are very musical. FWIW, I agree. With the Monitor 1 in play, the 18's only need to do >20 Hz bass and smooth the room. If I don't need the 18's... bonus, I'll save them for movies. But I think they will help.
You already have them, so I would definitely suggest utilizing them. Then you basically have 4 LF sources, which should make spatial smoothing easier. If they are sealed 18's, they should "sound" just fine....although I prefer not to hear subs at all.

There is only one other speaker I am considering, the Chase SHO-10. It has attributes I like too, as I said, I have a decision to make.
Never crossed my radar till I looked them up. Should play much louder than mine due to the sensitivity/pro drivers. Slightly bigger too. Mine don't exactly lack for dynamics however. Couldn't find any data, but it will definitely have a different type polar response and sound compared to mine. I saw the pics of your setup and seems like you have enough room to place my monitors away from the wall, toed in, so that the wall treatments can be removed. That far from the front wall should yield plenty of bass too. The sealed enclosures shallow roll helps there. And I used an 80w amp at the show, which most thought was plenty (maybe..too) loud. So your 100w amp should drive them to high, if not Korn concert levels.
Again, can't help with what suit your taste best, but these should be available for consumption shortly...and for a matching horizontal center for HT, a KEF Q200 or Q600 should work fine. Being coaxial, they will have the same polar response, without having to resort to a vertical center like the SHO-10's. One of the many reasons why I specifically uses coaxial point sources, not MT, MTM, etc, etc.

cheers,

AJ

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #69 on: 27 Jul 2011, 01:19 am »
Pardon my ignorance, but what's a "CNC shop"? :oops:

Let us know when you get your website up and running. :)

Also, like we discussed before, I hope at some point you are able to do a "speaker tour". :wink:

Tess got it. CNC cutting of the baffles ensures consistent quality. Basically program a computer and a machine does the rest.
I have a sample out to a vendor, so hopefully this final piece of the puzzle works out and I can start production. The data on the site will be of a production, finished model, so it all ties together.
Yep, a tour is still in the plans. :wink:

cheers,

AJ

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #70 on: 31 Jul 2011, 04:39 pm »
Nope, for music. I do watch movies but I'm not trying to hit reference levels.

Well, I took a couple measurements in and outdoors. This shows the extension in room (yes Tess, coffee table in full effect, including coaster and my Shock Top) at the seating position

On most music, the lower notes will not be AWOL....though I still recommend spatially distributed subs for smoothing over a wider area. If it's just you in the sweet spot...apply eq.

and an outdoor 0 & 60 off axis (30 somehow did not get saved, having a couple issues with TruRTA on my little notebook. Or operator error :oops:).

Couple notes. The KEF "Tangerine" phase shield obviously does its job above 8k. The rolloff above 15k is the mic. The mic position at 60 deg may have been at slightly greater radial distance because there should have been a near perfect overlay up to around 800hz or so. But you get the general idea of the off axis tracking of the on due to the coaxial loading.

Oh yes...and a gratuitous pic...with the sub driver flush mounted, minus the coax trim rim. :lol:

cheers,

AJ

p.s. have I officially turned the CapFest thread into my Ad? :oops:

JohnR

« Reply #71 on: 3 Aug 2011, 03:16 pm »
p.s. have I officially turned the CapFest thread into my Ad? :oops:

Getting pretty close ;) Please start a new thread in Industry Ads.