Which upgrade first

witchdoctor

Re: Which upgrade first
« Reply #20 on: 6 Nov 2016, 01:53 am »
As for stacking components I can only speak to my own experience YMMV. If you go back to the link I posted to the article on vibration control it discusses the benefits of using vibration control under your components. In my system I use it under each component which wouldn't be possible stacking them. YMMV.

http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/vibration.htm

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #21 on: 6 Nov 2016, 05:32 am »
Guys, guys... the best upgrades usually come in a bottle...   :thumb:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #22 on: 6 Nov 2016, 01:14 pm »
Guys, guys... the best upgrades usually come in a bottle...   :thumb:

French cognac or Belgian beer? 

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #23 on: 6 Nov 2016, 05:04 pm »
At the moment... Buckley's is my best friend...  :duh:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #24 on: 6 Nov 2016, 07:41 pm »
At the moment... Buckley's is my best friend...  :duh:

[/img]

gtaphile

« Reply #25 on: 7 Nov 2016, 04:43 pm »
No issues here, with stacking Bryston components on different shelves. BDP-1 on top of BCD-1. BHA-1 on top of BDA-1.

I am experimenting with vibration control and it is certainly not at all cut and dry for me personally.

I have a Salamander Synergy three bay unit and I just tried Stillpoint SS under my ARC REF 5Se and at first I thought it was an improvement then it became apparent that the mids and highs were less layered and too bright. I could easily pick up the change in the sound by just inverting the Stillpoints as well, likely the sensitivity of the tubes to changes in levels of vibration.     

I then tried them under my Kuzma table base first then added the second set to the ARC Ref phono pre and each was a welcome improvement across the board. Better image and better low level detail.

I have stacked Byrston BDA-2, BDP-2 on shelf with SSD sitting on top of the player. I also have 7Bcubed on separate stands and will order Stillpoint mini SS and try on each of the Bryston components and report back.       

It is possible that the Quadraspire rack does a good job of reducing vibration travelling between shelves and provides an overall lower level to start with versus the Salamander rack.

witchdoctor

« Reply #26 on: 7 Nov 2016, 05:24 pm »
I am experimenting with vibration control and it is certainly not at all cut and dry for me personally.

I have a Salamander Synergy three bay unit and I just tried Stillpoint SS under my ARC REF 5Se and at first I thought it was an improvement then it became apparent that the mids and highs were less layered and too bright. I could easily pick up the change in the sound by just inverting the Stillpoints as well, likely the sensitivity of the tubes to changes in levels of vibration.     

I then tried them under my Kuzma table base first then added the second set to the ARC Ref phono pre and each was a welcome improvement across the board. Better image and better low level detail.

I have stacked Byrston BDA-2, BDP-2 on shelf with SSD sitting on top of the player. I also have 7Bcubed on separate stands and will order Stillpoint mini SS and try on each of the Bryston components and report back.       

It is possible that the Quadraspire rack does a good job of reducing vibration travelling between shelves and provides an overall lower level to start with versus the Salamander rack.

I am not a vibration control expert but have been surprised by my own experiments. The components I have found to benefit most so far were the speakers and then the PC. I have read air suspension with an inner tube works well if you look at the article I posted but have not tried it. It seems to be a good inexpensive DIY project so I may try it for my desktop system. For now the mapleshade system is working well in the main rig but a bit more pricey than DIY.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #27 on: 7 Nov 2016, 09:56 pm »

It's funny, I used a Salamander shelf with door for 3 years (see my avatar on the left). Was happy with it. Then I got the open shelf on spikes, Quadraspire. Quite an audible improvement in clarity and staging. Not day and night, but audible. Those spiked feet, the curved shelf rods (supposedly eliminate standing waves) and the open-air wood shelving with vents on the shelves must have done something to improve things. Maybe there is something of substance to all this nonsense about gear levitation.... :green: :lol: