ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

jriggy

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #1260 on: 26 Aug 2009, 03:21 am »
Ok, so I realize my last question is one easily answered by searching and reading.... But I have a few basic tube usage questions Im hoping ya'll could help with...

How long should the signal tubes be expected to last?

Do you leave your MWTP tubes switched to on most of the day or once you begin listening? (I ask this one because I work at home some days and tend to stream chill internet radio for hours and hours and then move to FLAC and CD's in the evening so the TP is on for most of the day multiple days a week)

And... I think I know the answer to this one but what do tubes do/sound like when they go out/begin to go out?

Some pretty basic knowledge here I suppose... Maybe a Tubes for dummies 101 link would help me as well...

thanks again guys

Philistine

« Reply #1261 on: 26 Aug 2009, 04:11 pm »
I'll take a shot at answering what I can:

Signal tubes - I've not had any signal tubes fail, so not sure what lifetime they have but I don't believe it to be an issue as the TP is very kind/stress free with signal tubes.

As a general rule I don't leave my tubes on if I'm not planning to listen all day, if I'm planning to listen all day (intermittently or extended) then I will leave them switched on.  I normally switch the tubes on about 20 mins before a serious listening session and, to preserve tube life, I switch off in the evening.

Never heard a signal tube go out, so can't help on this one.

Trust this helps. 

Philistine

« Reply #1262 on: 28 Aug 2009, 09:21 pm »
EML 5U4G update:

I checked with Steve (Herbies) on the UltraSonic Damping Instrument as I have an earlier 5U4G and a recent one, both have different diameters - the larger older one needs size 65 and the newer one 55.  The isolation pads are removable so it's very easy (and inexpensive) to replace the titanium C rings in order to change sizes, nevertheless I would recommend checking the diameter of the tube before ordering the damper.

HumanMedia

« Reply #1263 on: 4 Sep 2009, 02:05 am »
So is this both versions of the EML 5U4G?
The larger older one and the newer smaller one?

Is there any sonic difference?
What is the difference in length (height?) of the two tubes?

jriggy

« Reply #1264 on: 10 Sep 2009, 01:11 am »
Whelp.... There goes my cables upgrade  :duh:

The TP is almost in the good hands of Dan and crew to be able to accept the EML as well as getting the hyper upgrades... Secured some Tung-Sol 6sn7 round plates, and have the BCC adapters on the way too! Will order the EML mesh as soon as I get around to it...

So what first was intended to be a quick question about tubes, and now my cables upgrades cash is gone! Thanks guys :wink:
But really, thank you all for your time, effort and sharing of the info! It is greatly appreciated!

One question: Burn in... How long should I break in this 'new life' in the TP before critical listening and what will be full break in for these tubes as will as the hyper mod???

Thanks again

Philistine

« Reply #1265 on: 10 Sep 2009, 11:59 am »
So is this both versions of the EML 5U4G?
The larger older one and the newer smaller one?

Is there any sonic difference?
What is the difference in length (height?) of the two tubes?

The 'older/newer' versions are identical in height it's just the diameter that's slightly different.  Didn't detect or listen for any sonic differences.

Philistine

« Reply #1266 on: 10 Sep 2009, 12:08 pm »
Whelp.... There goes my cables upgrade  :duh:

The TP is almost in the good hands of Dan and crew to be able to accept the EML as well as getting the hyper upgrades... Secured some Tung-Sol 6sn7 round plates, and have the BCC adapters on the way too! Will order the EML mesh as soon as I get around to it...

So what first was intended to be a quick question about tubes, and now my cables upgrades cash is gone! Thanks guys :wink:
But really, thank you all for your time, effort and sharing of the info! It is greatly appreciated!

One question: Burn in... How long should I break in this 'new life' in the TP before critical listening and what will be full break in for these tubes as will as the hyper mod???

Thanks again

I'm sure you'll be very happy with the upgrade and the tube change.
After the Hyper Drive upgrade we all noticed an immediate and significant improvement, I didn't listen for a  burn-in but Ted_B noticed a burn-in improvement.  As the upgrade is a such step change I would just dive straight in and enjoy it from day 1. 

AB

Pics of Transporter with standard Octal sockets
« Reply #1267 on: 11 Oct 2009, 08:34 pm »
Here are two pics of my new TP with the new standard octal sockets.

It's breaking in with a TS 5U4GB and new issue TS 6SN7GTB tubes.

Sounds pretty good but it's got a ways to go.

funkmonkey

« Reply #1268 on: 11 Oct 2009, 09:46 pm »
Sweet!  looks pretty cool with the octal sockets (no adaptors).  I'm curious how the new Russian TungSol 6SN7s measure up.

Philistine

« Reply #1269 on: 17 Oct 2009, 01:28 am »
Sweet!  looks pretty cool with the octal sockets (no adaptors).  I'm curious how the new Russian TungSol 6SN7s measure up.

Greg, I can tell you how the Russian TS's stack up as I bought them to try out the adapters before sacrificing any expensive NOS tubes.  The new production Russian tubes clearly share the family traits of the 6SN7 family and are phenomenal value for money.  However the NOS TS tubes are significantly smoother and more musical.  I could easily live with the Russian tubes but one you've heard the older tubes it's hard to go back to the new ones - even when they cost 10 times the price! 

funkmonkey

« Reply #1270 on: 17 Oct 2009, 04:07 pm »
Thanks Phil...  I recently rolled back to my RCA clear-tops and TS 5U4G (an old favorite combo for me) and listened for a day...  but that was it.  Just one evening and I wanted to go back to the EML + TS-round that I had just rolled out.  So I did.  Well, half way back at least.  I returned the big EML tube to it's home, and gave my Ken-Rad's a second spin.  That was a few days ago now, and I find that they are very close to the Tung-Sols (in my system).  Close enough for me to not miss that last 2% of musicality that the TS rounds seem to provide.  So, for day to day I'll leave the Ken-Rads in and roll in the Tung-Sols for the special occasions when I can sit down and really listen. :)

jwes

« Reply #1271 on: 19 Oct 2009, 02:19 am »
Hey, what ever happened to Rydenfan (Dan)?  He helped me so much and I haven't seen him post much anywhere recently...

Jim

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #1272 on: 19 Oct 2009, 02:27 am »
Hey, what ever happened to Rydenfan (Dan)?  He helped me so much and I haven't seen him post much anywhere recently...

Jim

David (not Dan) has been on a sort of hiatus.  He's fine... but he and his wife have just this past week moved from Sarasota FLA to Boston!  The movers arrived yesterday at the new place, and he's buried!  They love the Northeast, have plenty of family there, and both will start great new jobs that are exciting and challenging!  He'll be back on soon enough, but for now I am keeping him apprised daily.

jwes

« Reply #1273 on: 19 Oct 2009, 02:39 am »
Right - thanks for the update and best wishes David and family!  I had an old colleague named Dan Kimmel so screwed that up!!

Jim

rydenfan

« Reply #1274 on: 22 Oct 2009, 08:05 pm »
Just saw the last few posts and wanted to say HI  :D

I have certainly been pretty consumed lately and am just beginning to come up for air. Ted does a great job of making sure a piece of my brain stays reserved for audio  :wink: and I hope to be back soon. Happy listening till then...

AB

« Reply #1275 on: 25 Nov 2009, 10:53 pm »
200 Hours and some new more better tubes....

A bit closer...

Bigfish

« Reply #1276 on: 19 Dec 2009, 12:26 am »
Guys:

Most of we longer term owners of the ModWright Transporter performed a bunch of tube rolling and the majority settled on the EML 5U4G Mesh Rectifier and 6SN7 Tung-Sol Round Plate Signal Tubes.  One in our midst, Philistine, has continued to search for a modern production tube to better or at worst be the equal of the round plates.  He ordered a pair of these:  http://grantfidelity.com/site/Shuguang+Treasure+CV181-Z and had them shipped directly to Dan for approval to use in the Transporter.  Phil told me Dan approved them and then sent them along to him for evaluation in his system.  I will not provide his comments about the tubes as hopefully he will post comments soon but he told me they made more impact in his system than does the EML 5U4G Rectifier.  Whoa!!!  Being a tube rolling junkie I could not resist temptation and ordered a pair.  They were waiting for me when I arrived home today and after listening to the system for approximately an hour I replaced the Round Plates with the Black Treasures.

The Grant Fidelity Website claims it takes up to 300 hours for these tubes to reach their peak.  No joke, my immediate reaction to these tubes, brand new, is that they are better in my system than the Tung-Sol Round Plates.  Tighter bass, cleaner-more detailed highs and more dynamics to the sound.  Midrange is not as full sounding but not lean by any stretch.  If these continue to get even better it will be unbelievable.

If you are purchasing a new ModWright Transporter or have recently purchased one just save yourself some time.  Purchase an EML 5U4G Mesh Rectifier and a pair of the Black Treasures.  The best part is that both are new production tubes and come with a year warranty.

This is a professional review of the Black Treasures:  http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/shuguang_treasures_cv181_e.html

Ken
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2009, 12:48 pm by Bigfish »

Audioclyde

« Reply #1277 on: 19 Dec 2009, 01:05 am »
Guys:

Most of we longer term owners of the ModWright Transporter performed a bunch of tube rolling and the majority settled on the EML 5U4G Mesh Rectifier and 6SN7 Tung-Sol Round Plate Signal Tubes.  One in our midst, Philistine, has continued to search for a modern production tube to better or at worst be the equal of the round plates.  He ordered a pair of these:  http://grantfidelity.com/site/Shuguang+Treasure+CV181-Z and had them shipped directly to Dan for approval to use in the Transporter.  Phil told me Dan approved them and then sent them to along to him for evaluation in his system.  I will not provide his comments about the tubes as hopefully he will post comments soon but he told me they made more impact in his system than does the EML 5U4G Rectifier.  Whoa!!!  Being a tube rolling junkie I could not resist temptation and ordered a pair.  They were waiting for me when I arrived home today and after listening to the system for approximately an hour I replaced the Round Plates with the Black Treasures.

The Grant Fidelity Website claims it takes up to 300 hours for these tubes to reach their peak.  No joke, my immediate reaction to these tubes, brand new, is that they are better in my system than the Tung-Sol Round Plates.  Tighter bass, cleaner-more detailed highs and more dynamics to the sound.  Midrange is not as full sounding but not lean by any stretch.  If these continue to get even better it will be unbelievable.

If you are purchasing a new ModWright Transporter or have recently purchased one just save yourself some time.  Purchase an EML 5U4G Mesh Rectifier and a pair of the Black Treasures.  The best part is that both are new production tubes and come with a year warranty.

This is a professional review of the Black Treasures:  http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/shuguang_treasures_cv181_e.html

Ken

I'll confess that I tried my Treasure CV-181-Z's in my MW Transporter a few months back and thought they sounded magnificent; however I only ran them for 10-15 minutes as I dug up the 'old' comments in this thread (or elsewhere in the forum) that at least 1 user had experienced a problem with his MW Transporter while/from running the Treasures.

Maybe Dan could shed some light on whether something has changed?  I know I really, really liked the sound of my MW Transporter when running the Treasures; maybe I'll get brave and slip them back in for another listen....

Thanks,

Randy

mikel51

« Reply #1278 on: 19 Dec 2009, 01:13 am »
I wonder if they would be available in China at a more reasonable price?

Bigfish

« Reply #1279 on: 19 Dec 2009, 01:28 am »
I wonder if they would be available in China at a more reasonable price?

It is only a guess but I think they priced them comparable to the very best NOS 6SN7's which happen to be the Tung-Sol Round Plates.

Ken