Moldy IC - what to do?

charmerci

Moldy IC - what to do?
« on: 11 Feb 2018, 12:50 pm »
Stored in a damp environment for a while. I'm assuming washing them will get water inside.

I know that they are only cheap Monoprice but (thanks to my father) I hate to throw things out.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Moldy IC - what to do?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2018, 01:09 pm »
Standard cleaning method is to damp wipe with a 10% bleach/90% water solution.  But into soft plastic, quite doubtful you'll be able to clean deep enough (mold sends 'roots' into sealed wood/etc.).  I'd not mess around, but carefully seal them up (minimizing movement of/through air) in a bag and dispose of them immediately.

If really mold, it's nothing to mess with.  I'd be much more worried about mold in the rest of the house.  If bad enough mold can easily lead to severe health problems for occupants and in severe cases houses have been considered as a total loss by home insurance companies (houses have been demolished for 'just' mold). 

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2018, 01:26 pm »
It was in a downstairs building storage not a house/apartment. It's green mold, not the big, bad black mold.

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2018, 03:17 pm »
Wipe down the whole thing with any good contact cleaner spray. It is alcohol based and will kill mold and evaporate completely. After you clean the outside try to unscrew the connector caps and spray inside there too. It's not ethanol so wear gloves to protect from absorbing the spray.

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2018, 03:49 pm »
Thanks!