What software works the best in playing PC based hirez (24/96) files?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
With Foobar direct out, I have had some hirez music just stop playing.  It would play the 16/44 flac files just fine.  The PC has a core 2 duo 2.x CPU with 2 MB memory. 

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
What OS are you using?  With XP I used Kernel Streaming or ASIO.  Direct out uses XP's kmixer mixing algorithms, and futzes with the sound.  it may not allow auto-sample-rate switching either.  And make sure foobar is set for 24 bit.  I use Vista and find that WASAPI driver and Foobar does the best, with auto-sample-rate switching.  However, playing 24/96 through Squeeze Center and a Modwright Transporter (or stock Transporter and AES/EBU and great DAC) is better IMO...and clearly more convenient; it uses ITouch/iPod with full music server functionality (i.e album art, browsing,etc) as a remote.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
I have XP and the old 0.83 foobar as per recommended by Steve at EA but this is for 16/44.  I wonder if I should use a more recent one for hirez.  Using ASIO was problematic with hirez as well.  I wonder if I need more processing power.  Any thoughts?

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Dual core pc, no need for more processing.  This music server stuff is not real high intensity.  I assume you mean 2 GB memory.   :D

I ran 0.8.3 for years and used Kernel Streaming fine.  Try that.