FINAL final thoughts from Pez and Tyson.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: FINAL final thoughts from Pez and Tyson.
« Reply #80 on: 9 Oct 2015, 05:25 pm »
You guys have done a great job over the years. You deserve to go to a show and not have to worry about taking notes, pictures and keeping track of it all. Hopefully next year you will both be able to go and simply enjoy the show. Thanks again for all the years of coverage.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #81 on: 9 Oct 2015, 05:49 pm »
Sure, I can do that.

Thanks for sharing that and stating your biases.

Now the next generation audio reviewer will take things to the next level. That is, use a video camera and a high quality stereo mike and pre to go into it and record the sound for the herd to hear in their homes. Commentary from this brave new reporter/reporters will also be included.

AV Showrooms is one of the first out of the gate. I did have a conversation with Peter and stated his need to up the quality of his microphone used. I believe he has since the audio quality seems better with less hardness and glare, but that just might be my wishful thinking.

Thanks again for the fun adventure.

Rocket_Ronny

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #82 on: 9 Oct 2015, 06:16 pm »
...Now the next generation audio reviewer will take things to the next level. That is, use a video camera and a high quality stereo mike and pre to go into it and record the sound for the herd to hear in their homes. Commentary from this brave new reporter/reporters will also be included.

AV Showrooms is one of the first out of the gate. I did have a conversation with Peter and stated his need to up the quality of his microphone used. I believe he has since the audio quality seems better with less hardness and glare...
Rocket_Ronny

I tend to think a binaural recording would reveal the in-room sound better than a normal stereo recording.  Of course binaural must be played back on (ideally) in-ear buds, second choice head phones. 

Binaural mics comprise a dummy head shape with one tiny mic element in each location where would be a real persons ear canal.  The point is to mimic the human head's original shape and pickup mechanism during recording.  During playback, using ear buds directly couples the sound to the ear drum.  Thus, during playback the listening room and even the listener's ear shape does not add its signature to the sound.  The point is to mimic as closely as possible the original aural event (the difference is you hear the dummy head and ear shape signature rather than you own head and ear shape).

If you play back on speakers, you added your room signature plus your ear shape signature to the original aural event.   

If you think Peter looks different walking around with this little video camera, can you imagine him having an assistant carrying a binarual "dummy head" wired to Peter's VC?

Hmmmmmm........someone who makes high performance in-ear buds might sponsor some fanatic reading this......there's one particular nice binaural head with mics that costs $2k.  They range from about $500 to $8k for a Nuemann rig. 

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #83 on: 9 Oct 2015, 06:23 pm »
Well, two heads are better than one. Let's see if he goes for it. I doubt it.

Pez

« Reply #84 on: 10 Oct 2015, 12:19 am »
Jason and Tyson, after going to these shows for 10 years and hearing the best audio has to offer, how many times have you purchased a new product to improve your system after the show?

Purchased some stuff from:
GIK diffusors, absorbers, scopus traps, bass traps.
MA recordings numerous albums
Odessey Audio beautiful stand.
Have reviewed many many pieces from the show.

« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2015, 09:53 pm by Pez »

Pez

« Reply #85 on: 10 Oct 2015, 12:32 am »
To everyone, I have read, with quite a bit of pride, what you all have written. It really is awesome to hear all the gratitude! I really love covering the show. I really am astonished that other people had enjoyment from our goofy ass methods and banter. I love you all. I honestly have more fun with AC folks than I thought possible!

On another note, for anyone I've pissed off through the years I'm sorta sorry. Unless you were a dick, then I'm definitely not sorry.   :thumb:

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #86 on: 10 Oct 2015, 12:44 am »
To everyone, I have read, with quite a bit of pride, what you all have written. It really is awesome to hear all the gratitude! I really love covering the show. I really am astonished that other people had enjoyment from our goofy ass methods and banter. I love you all. I honestly have more fun with AC folks than I thought possible!

On another note, for anyone I've pissed off through the years I'm sorta sorry. Unless you were a dick, then I'm definitely not sorry.   :thumb:

Last line: priceless!

ACHiPo

« Reply #87 on: 10 Oct 2015, 01:07 pm »

On another note, for anyone I've pissed off through the years I'm sorta sorry. Unless you were a dick, then I'm definitely not sorry.   :thumb:
Classic!  And what draws us to your coverage!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #88 on: 10 Oct 2015, 01:20 pm »

Have reviewed many man pieces from the show.

Wait....what?    :)

brother love

« Reply #89 on: 10 Oct 2015, 01:44 pm »

:lol:  Freud would have a field day with audiophiles with so many phallic symbols & whatnot.

Seriously though, Pez & Tyson made RMAF fun & not some upper crust club-type gathering not worthy for the hoi polloi. Example:

"Tyson’s Notes Avant Garde Audio Room

General Room Notes – Oh man these speakers are ridiculously beautiful.  Object d’art to lust over.  Huge, but would work absolutely perfectly in the grand hall of my second home in the mountains.  If I had a second home.  Or lived in the mountains. "

Classic stuff. They were so entertaining with their tongue-in-cheek, salty sense of humor & observations. Their writing & photo skills made it a must read, not some dry blather that made you stop reading a third of the way through. 

All the praise heaped on you is well deserved.  Tip of the hat fellas  :thumb:

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #90 on: 10 Oct 2015, 03:24 pm »
:lol:  Freud would have a field day with audiophiles with so many phallic symbols & whatnot....

I first met Lynn Olson (Nutshell Audio, Ariel DIY speaker and countless incredible tube designs)at my first RMAF in 2013.  At this last RMAF Lynn mentioned that Freud's nephew started the entire "Public Relations" industry.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #91 on: 10 Oct 2015, 05:59 pm »
I first met Lynn Olson (Nutshell Audio, Ariel DIY speaker and countless incredible tube designs)at my first RMAF in 2013.  At this last RMAF Lynn mentioned that Freud's nephew started the entire "Public Relations" industry.

Yes, check out the documentary "Century of the Self", it covers it in detail.  Basically he invented the advertising industry as we know it today.  The main theme is that before him, ads were all about value and utility.  Like "This truck is built so well you'll never have to buy another truck!"  And that morphed into "This powerful truck will make you both powerful and desirable, the object of desire for women and the envy of other men".  Good stuff.  The funny thing is that it WORKS.  Even if you know they are doing it.  Even if you consciously fight against it.  Exposure is infection. 

:lol:  Freud would have a field day with audiophiles with so many phallic symbols & whatnot.

Seriously though, Pez & Tyson made RMAF fun & not some upper crust club-type gathering not worthy for the hoi polloi. Example:

"Tyson’s Notes Avant Garde Audio Room

General Room Notes – Oh man these speakers are ridiculously beautiful.  Object d’art to lust over.  Huge, but would work absolutely perfectly in the grand hall of my second home in the mountains.  If I had a second home.  Or lived in the mountains. "

Classic stuff. They were so entertaining with their tongue-in-cheek, salty sense of humor & observations. Their writing & photo skills made it a must read, not some dry blather that made you stop reading a third of the way through. 

All the praise heaped on you is well deserved.  Tip of the hat fellas  :thumb:

Thanks man!  Sometimes I worried that some of my more subtle jabs got missed or lost, I'm so happy to see that you got it and enjoyed it!  Seriously, you just made my day.

Although I do stand behind my statement that they were beautiful.  Higher prices may not buy you higher performance but it almost always buys you very good fit and finish. 

Pez

« Reply #92 on: 10 Oct 2015, 09:54 pm »

I can't get away with anything. I'll have to hire a proof reader.

jkelly

« Reply #93 on: 11 Oct 2015, 09:01 pm »
Yes, check out the documentary "Century of the Self", it covers it in detail.  Basically he invented the advertising industry as we know it today.  The main theme is that before him, ads were all about value and utility.  Like "This truck is built so well you'll never have to buy another truck!"  And that morphed into "This powerful truck will make you both powerful and desirable, the object of desire for women and the envy of other men".  Good stuff.  The funny thing is that it WORKS.  Even if you know they are doing it.  Even if you consciously fight against it.  Exposure is infection. 

It's funny  - I was given this link to older High Fidelity magazines from the 50's - 70's and I was noticing the "talky" approach to ads in the magazines.  Very much like a salesperson is talking to you.

http://americanradiohistory.com/High-Fidelity-Magazine.htm

Jeff

2bigears

« Reply #94 on: 11 Oct 2015, 09:12 pm »
 :D  'age of self' is great.    ' inequallity for all ' is also good.  VAC choose not to build Avatar amps anymore ,, a long time ago.  why was this.   now they sell amps 15 times this cost....  why is this.  rich get richer,,,, hummmm  :D 

OzarkTom

« Reply #95 on: 12 Oct 2015, 01:09 am »
Of all the reviews of the RMAF show that I have read, no one has used the "N"word. No company was using Ncores as their reference amps at the show? It seems that fad is over.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #96 on: 12 Oct 2015, 01:17 am »
Of all the reviews of the RMAF show that I have read, no one has used the "N"word. No company was using Ncores as their reference amps at the show? It seems that fad is over.
You're wrong but whateves. 

Scottdazzle

« Reply #97 on: 12 Oct 2015, 01:31 am »
Pez and Tyson,

I have enjoyed your show coverage for years. I appreciate your honesty, humor, irreverence, and good taste in music reproduction. RMAF won't be as interesting without your praise and criticism of the systems on display. Best of all, I've enjoyed the brief times we spent together.  Enjoy future shows without any pressure.

taoggniklat

« Reply #98 on: 2 Nov 2015, 09:28 pm »
Thanks Tyson and Pez for all your effort. This year was the first year in many that I was not able to make it to the show and now I see it is your "last"? Bummer, sorry I didn't get to hang out this year.

Regards,
Jared

Folsom

« Reply #99 on: 2 Nov 2015, 09:58 pm »

I'm certain they were in some active speakers somewhere.