VR44 Aktive and SET amp

vincevjg

VR44 Aktive and SET amp
« on: 24 Apr 2015, 03:47 pm »
I've always wanted to try a SET amp.  I have VR44 Aktives and I was wondering if anyone has had experience with SET amps with these speakers.
Specifically, I was looking at the Coincident Trubo 845SE, 28W,  and the LM Audio 219IA, 24W.  Both integrated amps.
Since the 44's need a minimum of 20W, it seems they would work fine and they both are supposed to be able to put out 100 wpc on musical peaks.
But my concern would be that they are SET type amps.

I'm no expert but from what I've read about SET amps you need to be careful about which speakers to use; efficiency and benign impedance curves.

So, can anyone give me any guidance on this?  Thanks so much for any help..

Vince

JackD201

Re: VR44 Aktive and SET amp
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2015, 02:58 am »
Hi Vince,

My partner and business partner uses Lamm ML2.1 SET amps (18wpc) with his personal pair of 44As. The purity of tone and the spatiality is just wonderful.

Using my CH Precision M1 monoblocks with my VR-9 SE Mk2s I was surprised by what I was seeing on the AMOLED display playing loud (85 to 90dB). For classical music mostly around 10 to 15 watts with the occasional 100wpc or so peak, with electronica averages of about 50 to 60 watts, surprisingly it was classic rock, and folk that matched the peak demands of Big Band bebop. I was seeing 700wpc peaks. James Taylor? Seriously? 

I tell this story because it shows that what eats up gobs of power is midbass harmonic content. Stuff like guitar amp cabinet resonances and the like. Something there is a lot of in close mic'd multitrack recordings. Apparently our ears are so sensitive in the upper midrange and presence region that one actually needs very little SPL ergo very little power there. In the case of the 44A and 55A the heavy lifting is done by the plate amps.

I think if one could get away with a 6c33 one could also get away with using a 211. 845s and tubes like T1610s should be very safe bets. I think 2a3s and 300Bs might be stretching things too much and 45s and 50s I would say would be out entirely unless one listens very softly.

HTH! :)

Audiophile58

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2015, 09:56 am »
Hello Vince the power supply how rugged has a lot to do with it as well as tube used.
The Famous Russian Dimple top tube of Batt audio,and Lamm audio fame the 6 C33C  is a super linear rugged tube. This has tons of control especially any amp thst has dual rectifier tubes for stability.
Take your time ,mini block 845 is very good .monoblocks will give you thst added control much more realestate in power supplies- transformers. You didnot say Whst your budget was ? Lamm audio
Is top of the food chain .

vincevjg

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2015, 02:58 pm »
Thanks for the replies..

So it seems that a quality SET amp with a heavy duty power supply should be OK.  The 2 integrated amps I'm interested in do have massive supplies and are able to output 100wpc peaks.  They use 845 outputs with 300Bs driving the 845s.  And since the 44s do the bass work, I really don't have to be concerned with driving the bass.
Think my main concern is related to any impedance issues but that also doesn't seem to be a concern if the Lamm ML2.1 is able to drive the 44s.

I am very happy with my current system which includes Jolida Envoy monoblocks with all NOS tubes. 
What I am doing is looking for near future options to minimize space used by the components; downsizing and all the rest of the things one does when one gets old.   :(

I think Lamm audio is out for me at this point in my life.  I'm looking at spending around $10k or less.  I will take my time with this and see if I can get the amps on loan for a test run.

Thanks

kgturner

« Reply #4 on: 3 May 2015, 03:26 pm »
I use a Line Magnetic 518IA with my dB99 speakers to great effect. 6moons recently reviewed the Coincident you mentioned. That particular writer uses the 518IA so you might be able to gleen some difference between between the two house sounds from the review. Or you could just email him.

Kevin T

vincevjg

« Reply #5 on: 4 May 2015, 12:39 pm »
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the reply.  I did read the 6moons review and also his review of the 518ia on another site.  It would be interesting if he does have any experience with the 219ia.
I will send him an email and see.

Vince