What would you do?

viggen

Re: What would you do?
« Reply #40 on: 30 Jul 2015, 01:20 am »
shot off a note to nikon

hi.  my 17-55mm recently is experiencing focus ring problem.  it would turn past where it used to stop.  and, the overall turning is clunky.

i also hope getting this lens inspected to solve a relating issue.  i sold this lens on ebay and buyer complained about this issue. however, the focus ring was working fine when i shipped it.  i suspect buyer harvested parts from my lens to repair his as he said he's experienced many lenses with same issue.

in any case, i hope to get this repaired.  but, i also hope to get confirmation that the lens has not been opened up recently or has evidence of parts swapped.

thanks, 

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #41 on: 30 Jul 2015, 03:18 am »
Are you sure it's the same lens you shipped him?

viggen

« Reply #42 on: 30 Jul 2015, 05:35 am »
Are you sure it's the same lens you shipped him?

yup just verified the serial #.

i could find the serial# of my original lens in the ad photo i placed on ebay.  my voigtlander lens is very sharp...

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #43 on: 30 Jul 2015, 11:12 am »
GREAT!!   :thumb:

JohnR

« Reply #44 on: 11 Aug 2015, 10:37 am »
I'm going through a similar experience now :(  :banghead: I sold a large format lens (second last one...), it had been dropped on a rock and had some damage, but the (professional) photographer from whom I purchased it told me it had been checked on a collimator and was optically fine. I said all of this in the listing. I had never used the lens, I just wrote what I was told and said that the buyer has 14 days to test it and I'll give a refund if not satisfactory. So I got a message from the buyer in Germany saying that the Copal 0 shutter is "desequilibrated by 0.2mm". I said I didn't know what that meant (I still don't) but I'm sorry, please send it back to me and I will give you a full refund. The response: "not acceptable". What? Since when is a full refund "not acceptable"? Well, because he had paid import duty on the lens, he didn't want to return the lens, but instead wants me to pay for an expensive repair. (Or rather, for what he claims will be an expensive repair.) To top it off, he says the lens has scratches (on the outside, not on the glass) that were "not disclosed" and therefore the lens is not "as stated." OK, firstly, who buys a lens that was dropped on a rock and then worries about a few minor scratches, secondly, I didn't say anything in the listing about whether or not there were scratches other than the DENTS caused by the drop, and thirdly, the only scratch I could discern in the iPhone photos he sent me is clearly visible in one of the photos in the listing!

I then offered to replace the "desequilibrated" Copal 0 shutter, if he sends it back to me. I have one last LF lens and I can send him the shutter from that. Silence. No response to this bend-over-backwards offer to a buyer who thinks that a full refund is "not acceptable."

I have this awful feeling I'm about to be ripped off several hundred dollars. Could be up to six months before it happens. I guess I'll find out.

Thanks for reading, I had to get that off my chest :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #45 on: 11 Aug 2015, 12:26 pm »
I always hated buying and selling through the internet. Stressful.
Good luck John.

JohnR

« Reply #46 on: 11 Aug 2015, 12:50 pm »
Hi Bob, it's been great for a while. (By "it" I mean buying and selling though the Internet.) But I'm really starting to think the golden time is well over now. Paypal have the ability to just take the money back on a whim. I mean, they always have, but changes in the eBay feedback system and other policies are geared to give people confidence in buying from high-volume sellers. In other words, the seller bears all the risk and is presumably supposed to factor that in. But for individuals like you and me - the costs and risks are getting too high! That's how I'm seeing it anyway. It's really too bad.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #47 on: 11 Aug 2015, 12:57 pm »
Yea....  :(
I'm in the middle of a Paypal dispute over a tile that's broken in half on the hearth of a home we rented last month.
She claims we must have been jumping up and down on it, and I'm claiming that tiles broken in half weren't installed properly to begin with.
There's a $500 deposit on the line.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #48 on: 11 Aug 2015, 03:10 pm »
Paypal verdict is always the same, if you pay the ship and return the goods in perfect condition they do full refund.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #49 on: 11 Aug 2015, 04:53 pm »
In other words, the seller bears all the risk and is presumably supposed to factor that in. But for individuals like you and me - the costs and risks are getting too high! That's how I'm seeing it anyway. It's really too bad.

I agree 100%.   :duh: