« Reply #20 on: 11 Jul 2015, 02:42 am »
Hi brh,

How long of a cable do you need?

brh

Re: Long USB runs
« Reply #21 on: 11 Jul 2015, 02:46 am »
Hi brh,

How long of a cable do you need?

Theoretically? Around 9m. Realistically, I'm aiming for 15m to futureproof some rearrangements. As mentioned, I ordered an active cable from SIIG, relatively cheap, and I've used things from this company before. It has the option of powering at the device end if needed. I'll try both ways, if, by chance, I need power at the receive end… then I might poke and prod about getting the DC output module from LIO…  :D

Either way, cable should be here soon, and I'll report back. USB works great until you try to do things with it that it wasn't meant to do… funny that…  :lol:

Vinnie R.

« Reply #22 on: 13 Jul 2015, 01:17 am »
if, by chance, I need power at the receive end… then I might poke and prod about getting the DC output module from LIO…  :D

Hi brh,

I believe there are USB cables with active circuitry (so you can go, say, 50 feet) and the power feed do them is the
USB buss's +5V supply and GND).  So it is using the same buss power than a standard length USB cable would use.

Once it gets to the LIO, the USB power is only used to power a relay, and the relay switches on the internal LIO power for
the LIO DSD/PCM dac.  So the computer USB buss power is not used, and we also galvanically isolate the data lines, as well
as buffer and re-clock the digital data (greatly minimizing jitter) that we feed out via I2S to the two dual-mono AKM dac chips.

So you should be able to find a long enough USB 2.0 spec'd cable with such active circuit, powered from the USB buss of your
computer, and it should work well.  Thanks for keeping us posted!

Vinnie

brh

« Reply #23 on: 21 Jul 2015, 12:34 am »
So for one last (for this leg of my journey, at least) update — This 15m active cable from SIIG seems to be functioning without a hitch for me. It offers the option of powering the receive end w/ an additional +5V power supply, but this has proven unnecessary for LIO. So far so good!

Vinnie R.

« Reply #24 on: 21 Jul 2015, 06:50 pm »
So for one last (for this leg of my journey, at least) update — This 15m active cable from SIIG seems to be functioning without a hitch for me. It offers the option of powering the receive end w/ an additional +5V power supply, but this has proven unnecessary for LIO. So far so good!

Hi brh,

Thanks for posting this - 15 meter (approx. 50 feet) is a pretty long run of active USB cable.  Glad it works well!  :thumb:

Vinnie