Tempest hum when switched on

erniek

Tempest hum when switched on
« on: 7 May 2014, 06:30 pm »
When I turn on my Tempest I get a humming and  am wondering if someone knows what I can do to fix this. The rest of my system is a Khartago and CD player. I Khartago is on continually and I turn the Tempest and CD player on when I listen to music. Any ideas why I might be getting this humming noise. The Khartago is just a few months old but the Tempest is 10 years old.

Thaks

undertow

Re: Tempest hum when switched on
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2014, 06:36 pm »
First thing to try although others will argue the saftey aspect is to lift your "Earth Ground" 3rd pin on the Amps power cord or upstream where the ground loop is coming from.

Many amps will have transformer hums for several different reasons mostly from AC induced issues coming out of the wall or ground differential from other components.

Good Luck
« Last Edit: 3 Oct 2014, 05:55 pm by undertow »

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2014, 07:18 pm »
Plug the Tempest and the Khartago into the same AC power strip.  Unplug all the interconnects into the Tempest, does it hum?
If not plug the CD player into the same power strip and connect it's interconnect, does it hum?

The standard pro audio rule is to turn the power amps on last and turn them off first.

So if the amp is always on why not the pre?

erniek

« Reply #3 on: 3 Oct 2014, 05:53 pm »
If the hum is evident how does having the Tempest on all the time affect it positively?

Haoleb

« Reply #4 on: 3 Oct 2014, 11:36 pm »
First we need to isolate if the hum is coming from the unit itself or through the speakers. If it is through the speakers then the above suggested advice to isolate components one at a time is good. If it is coming from the unit itself you can check to make sure the bolt holding the transformer on has not come loose somehow (unlikely)

With a unit that age I would begin to suspect the filter capacitors in the power supply are loosing their ability to filter out ripple and you may be getting hum from this depending on the sensitivity of the circuitry.

The mentioning of leaving the tempest on all the time is just because it is not generally advisable to switch on and off the preamp when you leave the power amps on all the time. If you are comfortable leaving the power amps on 24/7 just leave your preamp on as well.

I would not recommend you lift the earth ground from the amps. At best it is just putting a band-aid on another issue if it works. You may want to try a true star grounding scheme with your audio components as it will help eliminate any ground loop issues without risking your safety or potential damage to your components as you would be with using a cheater plug.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 4 Oct 2014, 02:25 am »
When I turn on my Tempest I get a humming and  am wondering if someone knows what I can do to fix this. The rest of my system is a Khartago and CD player. I Khartago is on continually and I turn the Tempest and CD player on when I listen to music. Any ideas why I might be getting this humming noise. The Khartago is just a few months old but the Tempest is 10 years old.

Thaks

first we need to know if your current configuration worked with no problems before(groung loops) if it has is highly unlikely is a ground loop problem,secondly the hum may come from amps/preamps if the filter capacitors are old then you should rectify them,if these dont work i suggest you have a bigger problem(bad design)and the best advice i can give you is send them back to manufacturer...good luck... :green:

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #6 on: 4 Oct 2014, 04:41 am »
Bad design, heh ??? WAFI

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #7 on: 4 Oct 2014, 04:41 am »
Having said that, 10 + years ago we did have different transformers..........call me.

geowak

« Reply #8 on: 5 Oct 2014, 02:56 pm »
ernieK- Good luck with your Odyssey hum problem!

steve in jersey

« Reply #9 on: 5 Oct 2014, 05:04 pm »
Having said that, 10 + years ago we did have different transformers..........call me.

Yes , That would be the 1st step that I would take w/ any piece of equipment from any reputable manufacturer. I would imagine there is
(more than likely) a provision for contacting "tech support" right on your Web page !

I really don't know how anyone could come out with the wild speculation that "Bad Design" could be reason for the problem until
I made the effort to let someone know I was having some problems. This is called acting responsibly & affording others the same courtesy! & it is slightly irresponsible to suggest otherwise

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #10 on: 6 Oct 2014, 01:29 pm »
Steve,

Actually,  it is a bit of a valid point...not the bad design thing, which is bull and a dick move,  but the fact that we have had problems with a few of the older Tempest units,  appr. 8-9 years and older....there were hum problems, mostly tranny realated, and I have been extremely open about it,  because the reality is that there was an issue...however,  this was then and this is now.....today, and especially in the past 3-4 years when Germany made huge improvements,  we have completely different designs,  all German SL boards and power supplies,  vastly improved, and totally quiet, as it should be, considering it is a $ 7 K + unit in Europe.....actually back then it was indeed a valuable lesson as to "you get what you pay for" in parts cost and quality....fact is that the tranny that we need with this Tempest / SL board should be shielded, and Germany has some specially made oil caps which we never had access to....so, yes, initial problems solved, but there is still a different issue at play here because Ernie had the unit for a very long time and now it shows some signs....figuring that grounding issues are always the proverbial needle in a haystack kind of deal,  but can be traced back,  then the only other issues here could be new and different magnetic fields around the tranny or indeed PS caps that should be replaced.....always remember the general formula for all kind of PS caps:  oil change deal after 7-10 years....finally, the Tempest is also designed to be left on continuously....

Late,
Klaus

steve in jersey

« Reply #11 on: 6 Oct 2014, 03:09 pm »
Steve,

Actually,  it is a bit of a valid point...not the bad design thing, which is bull and a dick move,  but the fact that we have had problems with a few of the older Tempest units,  appr. 8-9 years and older....there were hum problems, mostly tranny realated, and I have been extremely open about it,  because the reality is that there was an issue...however,  this was then and this is now.....today, and especially in the past 3-4 years when Germany made huge improvements,  we have completely different designs,  all German SL boards and power supplies,  vastly improved, and totally quiet, as it should be, considering it is a $ 7 K + unit in Europe.....actually back then it was indeed a valuable lesson as to "you get what you pay for" in parts cost and quality....fact is that the tranny that we need with this Tempest / SL board should be shielded, and Germany has some specially made oil caps which we never had access to....so, yes, initial problems solved, but there is still a different issue at play here because Ernie had the unit for a very long time and now it shows some signs....figuring that grounding issues are always the proverbial needle in a haystack kind of deal,  but can be traced back,  then the only other issues here could be new and different magnetic fields around the tranny or indeed PS caps that should be replaced.....always remember the general formula for all kind of PS caps:  oil change deal after 7-10 years....finally, the Tempest is also designed to be left on continuously....

Late,
Klaus
Klaus,

Trust me when I say that the only real issue I was concerned with was that "yet again" someone
took liberties (In the name of passing on information) at slighting the degree of a Manufacturers integrity
by using a subjective term to describe something

"Bad" is a word no thinking adult should ever need to use for the sake of expedience in a sentence. There are
hundreds of other words we use instead. I actually forget the context of the info passed along other than "BD"

(& now I feel obligated to consider looking at an Odyssey amp should I ever decide to hook my Maggie 2.7QR back up).

erniek

« Reply #12 on: 14 Oct 2014, 09:03 pm »
Klaus, I will call you. Everyone thanks for following up with this.

erniek

« Reply #13 on: 25 Oct 2014, 11:33 am »
Does anyone have a phone number for Klaus?

Phil A

« Reply #14 on: 25 Oct 2014, 02:36 pm »
Does anyone have a phone number for Klaus?

The number is listed on Odyssey Audio's website - http://odysseyaudio.com/

erniek

« Reply #15 on: 28 Oct 2014, 06:28 pm »
I called and left message a week ago no one called back. I thought there might be a different number for Klaus.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #16 on: 28 Oct 2014, 07:09 pm »
I called and left message a week ago no one called back. I thought there might be a different number for Klaus.

Why don't you just PM or email him, just click right below the post count on his replies.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #17 on: 28 Oct 2014, 08:51 pm »
Call Klaus after 10pm central time. He works all night.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #18 on: 29 Oct 2014, 04:21 am »
Hey Ernie,

checked my older messages,  and must have fallen through the cracks...please call again,  317 299 5578,

Klaus