Bryston 4B3 Review - My Stereo System Sounds Grown Up

DarqueKnight

Introduction

Bryston's new "cubed series" amplifiers are claimed to provide lower distortion with commensurate greater transparency than the preceding SST Squared series amplifiers. I didn't have a 4BSST2 to compare the 4B3 to. I can state that the previous power amplifier in my office system, an Adcom GFA-565SE ($1499), metaphorically went down in smoke and flame when it went up against the 4B3 ($5695).

If your attention span and/or time is short, skip the preliminaries and scroll down to "The Sound" section.

Figure 1. I initially didn't like the front panel "belt buckle" styling of the 4B3. That didn't deter me from buying it
because I didn't think it rose to the level of "ugly", plus, it would be out of sight anyway. The color of the LEDs can
be changed from green to blue by setting a jumper inside the amplifier.

In person, the 4B3 has a somewhat "aggressive" appearance...and I like it.

Figure 2. The previous series 4BSST2 featured a simple and elegant face plate. [Photo from Audio Advisor website.]

Figure 3.  There are few pictures to be found of the 4B3. Bryston only has one 4B3 photo on their web site.
[Photo from Audio Advisor website]

Figure 4. Thank you Bryston...for the user selectable front panel LED colors! All you have to do is move a jumper to
the top two prongs to switch from green to blue.

Taking the jumper off was easy. Getting it back on was a little bit tricky due to the ribbon cable in the way and the raised metal panel to the right of the jumper switch. The best method I came up with was to roll a small piece of painter's tape sticky side out, put that on the tip of my left hand index finger, put the jumper on the tape, then use the index finger of my right hand to slide the jumper in place once it was properly positioned by my left hand.

Figure 5. Handsome, jewel-like, binding posts...with plastic enclosures for enhanced safety against accidental shorting.

I spent a few seconds trying to attach my speaker cable spades to the underside of the posts...before realizing the bottom was closed off and cables could only be attached from the top...just as shown on page 6 of the manual. I must admit that it was easier attaching the cables from the top in that cramped space under my desk.

Preliminaries

Prior to the 4B3's installation, I treated the transformers of the BDA-3 DAC, BDP-2 digital player, and GFP-750 preamp with Dynamat Xtream vibration damping material. The results of the BDA-3 and BDP-2 transformer treatments were discussed in this thread:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=142396.0

The same sonic improvements heard after the BDP-2 and BDA-3 transformer damping were heard with the GFP-750.  However, whereas the transformer bolts of the BDP-2 and BDA-3 were left loose and the transformer was allowed to "float" on a Dynamat pad, the GFP-750 sounded best with the bolt tightened just snug enough to prevent movement.

Figure 6. The GFP-750's transformer gets tamed down.

Figure 7. The famous made-in-the-USA "blue board" version of the GFP-750.

Figure 8. Yes, the 4B3 really is dual mono with a transformer for each channel. I will probably drape these in
Dynamat...once I gather up enough courage to go through the tedious remove/reinstall process.

Tale Of The Tape

Figure 9. Adcom GFA-565SE and Bryston 4B3 front panel comparison.

Figure 10. Adcom GFA-565SE and Bryston 4B3 side view.

Figure 11. Adcom GFA-565SE and Bryston 4B3 rear panel comparison. I was relieved that the 4B3's IEC jack was
oriented with the ground pin up-just like the 565SE. That meant I didn't have to fight and subdue that stiff power
cable into an opposite orientation.

The 4B3 is 12 pounds heavier at 63 pounds, with a second transformer, an aluminum chassis, and premium hardware components. I was really impressed with the 4B3's finish and construction quality.

The 4B3 provides user selectable gain of 23 dB or 29 dB. The 565SE had a gain of 27. I selected 29 dB for the 4B3 and I am running balanced XLR cables. The 4B3 provides a lot more power into 4 ohms, 500 watts per channel compared to the 565SE's 350 watts per channel. The 8 ohm figure is 250 wpc for the 565SE and 300 wpc for the 4B3.

Installation

Figure 12. After a thorough listening session with the GFA-565SE, with detailed listening notes and aerial and lateral
mapping of the size and location of sound images, the 4B3 was readied for installation.

Figure 13. What's going on here? The 4B3 is being slid into place on top of the PS Audio P10 AC regenerator.

The easiest thing to do from a physical perspective would have been to slide out the P10 AC regenerator on its MDF platform, place the 4B3 on top of it, and slide them back in place under my desk. But that wouldn't have been the easiest thing to do from a sonic perspective. I would have had go through a tedious removal/reinstall procedure of aligning, twisting and bending of those garden hose size power cables. Then I would have had to wait 24 or more hours for them to "settle" down because they always sound "off" after they have been moved substantially.

Figure 14. Careful now...we don't want to "disturb" those power cables.

Figure 15. The 4B3 is ready for business!

Figure 16. The corners of the 4B3 and P10 are protected from knees and shoes by 1/4" thick foam pads.

Every component in this computer audio system is plugged into the P10 AC regenerator. The total idling load is 16% of capacity. The power and current draws are 155 watts and 1.76 amps respectively. Incoming THD of the power from the wall is 2.1%. Outgoing THD of the power from the P10 is 0.2%.

The Sound

The comparison between the 4B3 and the 565SE was reminiscent of one of Mike Tyson's 12 second knockout bouts. The 565SE was outclassed, outgunned, and outperformed in every aspect of stereophonic performance. I still think the 565SE is a great amp for the money, but it was being compared to an amp nearly 4X its price.

Music from the 4B3 sounded heavier, slower, and louder during the first hour. After the 4b3 had warmed up, the initial "slowness" in the pace, rhythm, and timing of music had disappeared. The improvement in bass speed, bass articulation, bass detail, and tactile sensation made it sound like a subwoofer had been added to the system. It wasn't that the bass was calling attention to itself in a tonally unbalanced way. It was calling attention to itself from the perspective of hearing sound details and feeling tactile sensations not previously heard and felt from this system. All this was with bookshelf speakers with a 3db bass response of 42 Hz.

For the first time, on this system, I heard John Coltrane's tenor sax solo on Miles Davis' "So What" coming from behind, and to the far left of, the left speaker...just like on my two channel system at home. Cannonball Adderley's alto sax solo was projected in front of the right speaker...just like on my two channel system at home. Previously, Coltrane's and Adderley's sax images were confined to the front speaker plane.

The 4B3 brought the following stereophonic performance enhancements to my office system:

1. More image weight, a strengthened sense of palpability to sound images.
2. More depth at the sides of the sound stage.
3. More forward projection of images forward at the sides of the sound stage.
4. More clarity and detail, more sounds of a singer's lips, throat, and chest.
5. More "wood body" sound on acoustic bass.
6. More reedy, woody edge on saxophone.
7. More subtle texture in drum rolls.
8. More thunderous bass.
9. Music sounded apparently louder due to the lower noise floor.
10. Far more low level detail, and the bass does not "disappear" if I turn the sound level way down.
11. More of that growl that I like...from electric and acoustic bass instruments.

After four days of listening, I did not note any performance improvements over those noted after the 4B3 had warmed up sufficiently on the first day. Bryston burns in their amplifiers for 100 hours at the factory. This might reduce or remove the need for further "break in" by the owner.

The quality of music reproduction in my office system now sounds like a smaller scale version of my home system...and my office seems like an extension of my home.

Further Study

I have gone far further in performance, in my office rig, than originally planned. I initially just wanted to replace my CD based system with a computer audio system. One improvement lead to another...and...here...I...am.

I was recently asked if I felt the  Adcom preamp was "up to snuff" with it's playmates. The more I think about it, the more I think...no.

In the future, when I am more dedicated to audio than I am now, I will take the 4B3 for "test drives" in my two channel and home theater systems. The thought of moving the heavily laden cabinets of either of those two systems away from the wall...and (figuratively) fighting my way through miles of thick cables...and putting all that back together...is not something my mind can process at the present.

Figure 17. Two channel system: I'm not quite brave enough to do anything that requires pulling out the equipment
cabinet, disconnecting/reconnecting cables, and putting everything back in place...then waiting a day or two for my
cables to settle down again.

Figure 18. Home theater system: In addition to the issues with cabinet weight and a mass of thick heavy cables
that would put most jungle vegetation to shame...there was the considerable financial risk that I might end up
replacing the three Adcom GFA-5500 amplifiers that power the center, front, and surround speakers.

Associated Equipment

Bryston BDA-3 digital to analog converter
Bryston BDP-2 digital player with IAD sound card upgrade and 500GB internal drive
Adcom GFP-750 preamplifier
PS Audio xStream Transcendent XLR interconnects for DAC and preamp
Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver CCIC USB cable
PS Audio Premier SC power cords for DAC, digital player, power amp and preamp
PS Audio P10 AC Regenerator
PS Audio AC-12 power cord for P10 AC Regenerator
Polk Audio SDA CRS+ (1989 version) loudspeakers (heavily modified)
Douglas Connection CDF92 speaker cable (9 AWG)
HiFi Tuning Classic Gold fuses for preamp, AC regenerator
HiFi Tuning Silver Star fuse for DAC.
Dell Venue Pro 11 7140 tablet computer, with dock, for digital player and DAC control

References

Office System Upgrades:
http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/168871/pure-overkill-computer-audio-office-system

BDP-2 Review:
http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2230125#Comment_2230125

BDA-3 Review-Polk Forum:
http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2227414#Comment_2227414

BDA-3 Review-Audio Circle Forum:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=142396.0

« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2016, 05:43 pm by DarqueKnight »

Buseto

Re: Bryston 4B3 Review - My Stereo System Sounds Grown Up
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2016, 09:11 am »
Thanks for the great - extensive - review!  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2016, 10:25 am »
Hi

Great feedback thanks  :thumb:

I especially liked this statement -For the first time, on this system, I heard John Coltrane's tenor sax solo on Miles Davis' "So What" coming from behind, and to the far left of, the left speaker...just like on my two channel system at home. Cannonball Adderley's alto sax solo was projected in front of the right speaker...just like on my two channel system at home. Previously, Coltrane's and Adderley's sax images were confined to the front speaker plane.

The ability to present a realistic three demensional soundstage is the "final frontier".

james

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2016, 11:55 am »
Hi DK,

What a superb review. You should consider a second "career"!  :green:

Looks like your upgrade path has really paid off for you. I had 4B2 for 5 years, and loved it, paired with a B100 pre out (BP16). Now with a 14B2, I am set for a while -- really was a large jump up, even from the 4B2. I think JT said it a while back -- after a point, numbers (specs) become meaningless, with Bryston amps. Still, what we hear does not always jive with what's measured. That's part of the fun of this hobby.

Enjoy the music.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2016, 03:51 pm »
 Thank you for a great presentation.....the 4B just happens to be my choice as well, ... :thumb:

GreenMtnGringo

« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2016, 07:45 pm »
Congrats on your new amp and the awesome review, thanks!  I received my 4B3 on Monday night and it has been up and running for just over 24 hours as of last night.  The build quality and cosmetics are great.  So far, though, I have yet to experience an 'aha' moment.  As expected, the amp sounds neutral and detailed, but it seems a bit too 'polite,' i.e., dynamically, tonally and rhythmically constricted, for my tastes in my system (see below) as compared to the outgoing Yamaha A-S2000, which I was using solely as a power amp via its dedicated power amp inputs.  I am hoping that more break-in will enable the Bryston to open up dynamically and tonally such that it can boogie at least as much as the less expensive and less powerful but PRaT-tastic Yamaha.  If not, I will remove the Classe' pre-amp and bring back the Yamaha, this time solely as a pre-amp, to see if it drives the Bryston with more authority than the Classe'.

PS Audio DirectStream > 1m RCA > Classe' CP-500 > 3m RCA > JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) > 1m RCA > Bryston 4B3 > Analysis-Plus Oval 9 > Magnepan MG .7

UPDATE: Got home from work tonight, heard the above system with approximately 48 hours on the Bryston, and was disheartened that there was no improvement from the night before.  I powered everything down, removed the Classe' and replaced it with the Yamaha A-S2000 in pre-amp-only mode ... BOOM! The PRaT magic was apparent immediately!  I love the Classe' with other amps, but just not with the 4B3 in this system.  Now I can't wait to hear what the Bryston can do when it is fully warmed up and burned in.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2016, 11:56 pm by GreenMtnGringo »

Rod_S

« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2016, 07:59 pm »
It's neat that you can change the LED color, that's the 1st time I've ever heard about that of any product for that matter.

Marius

« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2016, 08:15 pm »
Hi DK,

Wonderful read! Thx for that. Hope you enjoy even better now.

Thing that puzzled me most was your remark at fig 17: 'reconnecting cables, and putting everything back in place...then waiting a day or two for my
cables to settle down again.'

What would be the effect of cables settling down? Never heard/read about that before .

Cheers
Marius

DarqueKnight

« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2016, 10:02 pm »
Thing that puzzled me most was your remark at fig 17: 'reconnecting cables, and putting everything back in place...then waiting a day or two for my
cables to settle down again.'

What would be the effect of cables settling down? Never heard/read about that before .

I was referring to my power cables and not interconnects.

My power cables have multiple strands of insulated wire. Wire insulation has dielectric properties and can store and release energy similar to a capacitor. Bending and twisting a very thick cable composed of a lot of individually insulated conductors puts mechanical stress on the wire and on the insulation, which in turn induces electrical noise. This noise mechanism is similar to the electrical noise generated in capacitors by physically stricking them. This mechanically induced electrical noise is in addition to the electrical noise generated by the conductor insulation absorbing and releasing energy from the signal running through it. Over time, the mechanical stress is eased, and, over time, the insulation becomes saturated or nearly saturated and does not absorb and release as much energy.

The audible effects of this (on my audio/video systems) are a small decrease in overall clarity and detail, blurred bass transients and bass details, and small reductions in image weight and sound stage proportions.

I have never perceived any audible effects from bending or twisting any interconnect cable.

If you are interested in researching this further, look up "dielectric absorption" and "mechanically induced electrical noise in capacitors".

vcwatkins

« Reply #9 on: 27 Apr 2016, 10:28 pm »
Great review as always, DK.  Thanks for taking the time to share.

95Dyna

« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2016, 02:10 am »
Hi DarqueKnight,

It is uncanny the resemblance of your description of the 4B3 enhancements over the Adcom GFA 565 to my experience moving to the 7B SST2's from a pair of GFA-555 stereo amps that were bi-amped to my Infinity 9Kappas around 7 years ago.  I now have replaced the 9Kappas with a pair of Focal's new Sopra 2's.  These speakers are extraordinary and I can only wonder what they would be like if I upgraded to 7B3's.  Here we go again, another bout with Audio Ad Infinitus.  The Sopras are an easy load so maybe I could get away with a 14B3 and save a few bucks.  Thanks so much for your time and effort in sharing your impressions.

Bill

Rod_S

« Reply #11 on: 28 Apr 2016, 11:07 am »
I've yet to read any double blind tests or any attempt for that matter of end users or audio publications, (not dealers or distributors) to A/B or ABX the SST2 to the Cubed (and possibly another amp) in both a noisy system where say a SST2 had already resided and a dead quiet system where a SST2 had resided.

There's been posts of SST2 users getting cubes and describing better performance but they no longer had the SST2 on hand thus those perceived improvements could simply be imagined as it's a new piece of gear they are happy to have purchased and need to believe it's better. A quite common occurrence and nothing wrong with that, it's human nature. I'm quite confident I'm guilty of that having made "upgrades" in the past.

Until then part of me is inclined to think that in an already dead quite system the advancements of the cubed series may very well be incredibly subtle to non existent to the human ear even though possibly quite strikingly evident when measured via testing equipment. I'm perfectly fine to be proven wrong though.

If the cubes were completely Class A or tube amps then I could understand quite obvious differences in sound and performance but we are comparing two very well designed Class A/B amps where Class A operation appears to have remained the same. Even that would be cause for more evident differences if say the Cubes left Class A earlier or later than the SST2 did.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 28 Apr 2016, 11:17 am »

oops. see below

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 28 Apr 2016, 11:18 am »
I concur, expectation bias is human, and I am likely guilty of it as well. Still, I would suppose that the chances of a new amp leading to poorer perceived SQ  (even slightly) should be equal to the chances of improvement. Yet, I have read very few reviews where the user complains of a decrease in perceived SQ. This could suggest "hubris" (excess pride) or a reluctance to admit making a flawed buy decision?

Not saying that the impressions posted here are that. Here's an article a while back that criticizes "sighted" hearing tests of gear. A bit over the top, as it is very difficult to arrange a proper, fully blinded, ABX test of big, heavy gear like speakers or power amps. Cables perhaps.

http://seanolive.blogspot.ca/2009/04/dishonesty-of-sighted-audio-product.html

cheers, enjoy the musik and new amps.

DarqueKnight

« Reply #14 on: 29 Apr 2016, 12:22 am »
I've yet to read any double blind tests or any attempt for that matter of end users or audio publications, (not dealers or distributors) to A/B or ABX the SST2 to the Cubed (and possibly another amp) in both a noisy system where say a SST2 had already resided and a dead quiet system where a SST2 had resided.

You might inquire of Bryston and ask if they have done such studies, since the amps in question, and test equipment, are readily available to them.

There's been posts of SST2 users getting cubes and describing better performance but they no longer had the SST2 on hand thus those perceived improvements could simply be imagined as it's a new piece of gear they are happy to have purchased and need to believe it's better.

That is why I carefully document my critical listening sessions. Memory is not always reliable.

Until then part of me is inclined to think that in an already dead quite system the advancements of the cubed series may very well be incredibly subtle to non existent to the human ear even though possibly quite strikingly evident when measured via testing equipment. I'm perfectly fine to be proven wrong though.

The differences were not subtle in my dead quiet office system. The differences, if any, perceived by an individual depend on the individual's performance criteria. My performance criteria involve spatial properties, tactile sensation, and sound characterization. Other people have different criteria. When reading any audio evaluation, it is important to gain an understanding of what performance metrics the evaluator used.

Rod_S

« Reply #15 on: 29 Apr 2016, 01:56 pm »
Thanks

I've posted the question a few times in a couple different threads where James of course would be free to answer about the specific conditions I mentioned i.e. noisy vs quiet systems

In the end it doesn't really matter to me personally as I'm not contemplating an upgrade at this time but I just see a number of people across multiple forums willing to toss their SST2 for the cubes when they have no guarantee of a better performing amp in their specific setups. There's no doubt it'll be the equal but better I suspect might very highly system and environment specific. So if it's an equal only in their setup then they've just thrown away money and I would feel bad for them. Granted if they were in love with the new look and wanted that I could understand upgrading for cosmetics alone as that is very important to some people.

Jon Middleton

« Reply #16 on: 26 May 2017, 03:56 am »

There's been posts of SST2 users getting cubes and describing better performance but they no longer had the SST2 on hand thus those perceived improvements could simply be imagined as it's a new piece of gear they are happy to have purchased and need to believe it's better. A quite common occurrence and nothing wrong with that, it's human nature. I'm quite confident I'm guilty of that having made "upgrades" in the past.

If the cubes were completely Class A or tube amps then I could understand quite obvious differences in sound and performance but we are comparing two very well designed Class A/B amps where Class A operation appears to have remained the same. Even that would be cause for more evident differences if say the Cubes left Class A earlier or later than the SST2 did.

Hi Rod,

I recognize you from the AVS forum.  Funny, I haven't been paying attention to new stuff so just became aware of the Cubed series today.  I looked on their website and couldn't find my 4B SST2 under the SST amps.  Called Bryston and talked with Bryan(?) Russell who clued me in.  I was snooping because of a discussion about Classe amps on the B&W page.  Classe has never made sense to me because Bryston is so well respected, made in Canada rather than China, and far less expensive.  I admit to being mildly interested in the 4B3.  But, like you, I'm an objectivist and so a firm believer in double blind testing, and recognize expectation bias as a real problem.  Anybody else compare the Cubed vs the Squared version?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2017, 07:26 pm »
My first comment is yes a nice post about the 4B3.
I would suggest adding some sort of spacers to raise the Bryston 4B3 away from the top of the conditioner. Both for cooling and to reduce transformer etc. interaction from below. (for two of my preamps I have a mylar bubble foam sheet full size of components, like used to insulate windows, placed equidistant above one component and below the other. This gap keeps the heat from the component below entirely out of the one above. And BOTH run cooler!

I use all sorts of butyl rubber size 10 chemical bottle stoppers. They would be just right height to increase the gap between the two components. wide corks would do also. or wood blocks under the feet of the 4B3.

As for the discussion later of the ability or inability of ordinary folks to hear a difference?
I am on the side of yes it could easily sound different.

I have to say my ability to hear small differences really jump to a new level when I moved from my prior $2K or so per component (back in 2010)to the $5K per of the Bryston BP-26 and 4B-SST² I currently own. (plus expensive power conditioners, bought used)
Now I can 'hear' different cables pretty easily. And subtle changes.
The most recent expensive was three IC pair for $5K which made a big difference.
(latest free was taking out the midrange fuse on my Magnepan 3.6 speakers.)
So I am certain if I buy the 4B3 (PS James: is it 4B3 or 4B³?) I would be happy with it's improved performance. I am thinking about it...
« Last Edit: 26 May 2017, 10:06 pm by Elizabeth »

Kw6

« Reply #18 on: 23 Jun 2017, 03:43 pm »
How us the 4 3 sounding now? Is it more sweeter than the Adcom?

maty