Help Spend My Money: Turntable Purchase Advice

sunnydaze

Re: Help Spend My Money: Turntable Purchase Advice
« Reply #40 on: 2 Oct 2014, 02:09 am »

Love my Rock 7,   just a fabulous TT   :D

I hear great things about it!   My next table,  hopefully.

Enjoy!   What arm / cart you using?

Heckler75

« Reply #41 on: 2 Oct 2014, 03:13 am »
I hear great things about it!   My next table,  hopefully.

Enjoy!   What arm / cart you using?

it's  totally Amazing!

have Heluis Omega arm   and  Cart - denon 110 (with the Rock 7   a very deadly combination!)   

to be honest,  really   have no need  to upgrade cart ,  heard  my table  against a $20K  table,  and  the Rock 7  is still  my choice!

don't believe me,  ask(Ear-USA)   about the Rock 7   with denon cart   PURE MAGIC!!!           

it is still  pricey,  but if you can find  a demo or used one,  its   all you need!

next upgrade, NOT a Cart  is the upgraded DC  motor (merlin)   icing on the cake  :thumb:

sunnydaze

« Reply #42 on: 2 Oct 2014, 04:24 am »
I know Dan at EAR really likes it w that Helius arm.   Didn't know about the denon synergy.   Thanks for the info.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #43 on: 2 Oct 2014, 11:06 am »
I'm not certain, but I think the Ruby is a different model in the F9 line.

The guy on AG is selling F-9E and F-9L versions....which I believe are different than the Ruby.

You can find the owners manual in VE library for 6 different F9 models, including the E and L.  They all have identical impedance and output except the L with additional 2mV.  With the same impedance, this must be from stronger magnets.  The styli are interchangeable, and it could be that the magnets are mounted on the stylus assembly, but I don't really know. 

The L version could actually be more desirable for some.  Like the Clearaudio V2 MMs with greater output, they would be more dynamic.  If the magnets are on the stylus assembly and you had a Soundsmith ruby rebuild, then you would have a higher output F9 Ruby.  The orig Ruby had a .2 x .8 elliptical.

I'm quite certain the F-9E is identical to the F-9 Ruby, but with a different stylus assembly.  This was common knowledge back when they were current.  It's no different than the AT-440 sharing the same body with the 120. 

BTW, it seems like Clearaudio scaled back the V2 specs.  They are now virtually identical to V1.
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #44 on: 2 Oct 2014, 05:03 pm »
Just saw this table listed under tonearm.  Highly regarded set-up:

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/tonearms-basis-audio-2100-signature-turntable-w-graham-2-2-tonearm-nordost-frey-tonearm-cable-2014-09-29-analog-33326-davie-fl

neo

Note:  The table is $4900 new, and I saw a used 2.2 arm for $1600.

Minn Mark

« Reply #45 on: 2 Oct 2014, 06:07 pm »
Check out www.soundstagedirect.com. They are pre-ordering the new VPI Prime for only $3500 (includes arm) . Absolutely a killer deal.

Mark

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #46 on: 2 Oct 2014, 06:31 pm »
nevermind
neo
« Last Edit: 2 Oct 2014, 08:56 pm by neobop »

Scottdazzle

« Reply #47 on: 3 Oct 2014, 02:59 am »
Post deleted.
« Last Edit: 3 Oct 2014, 01:21 pm by Scottdazzle »

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #48 on: 3 Oct 2014, 01:19 pm »
Ernest,
Just saw this ad:
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649149435-vpi-classic-turntable-walnut-finish-see-photo/

The only difference between the Classic 1 and 2 is VTA on-the-fly.
neo

Very nice table, but cannot help to consider that many used tables are now going to go down in price when you look at the value of the VPI Prime turntable. Should prove to be very interesting.

Be well...

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #49 on: 3 Oct 2014, 03:50 pm »
Very nice table, but cannot help to consider that many used tables are now going to go down in price when you look at the value of the VPI Prime turntable. Should prove to be very interesting.
Be well...

OP is aware of the situation and is advised to negotiate accordingly.  You might be overestimating the impact, I'm not sure.  Prime will go up to $3800 in 2015.  The 3D arm will come down in price because of less overhead.  BTW some 3D owners are pissed.  Their investment is being devalued.

Prime is still a Scout with what looks like a Classic platter.  Cool looking table, but it doesn't have the build quality of the more expensive VPI.  Have you ever played with an SL-1200 ?  It's a competent table.  Have you ever compared it to an SP-25 or SP-15 in a different plinth?  The SP-25 guts are identical to the 1200.  The SP-15 is similar w/separate power supply.  Either one will outperform the 1200 if mounted in a high quality plinth.

I've seen photos of a 1200 with exotic arms, even SME V.   Would this outperform an SP-25 with SME lV ?   Because this analogy is imperfect the answer is not relevant, but the concept is. 
I have an old Sota Sapphire with a subchassis made out of MDF.  After many years it's warped and needs to be replaced.  I'm not going to waste my time and replace it with another piece of MDF.  There's a performance issue here and MDF is an inferior material.  This doesn't exactly translate to VPI either.  We're not talking subchassis, it's a thicker piece - the whole chassis.  MDF is not as rigid and doesn't dissipate energy like stronger materials or combinations.  There's a difference between damping and dissipating which is very similar to the difference between a 1200 and an SL model with obsidian plinth. 
How much better is Prime than Classic?  Either one beats a broken RP1.
neo