Bryston Turntable

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston Turntable
« Reply #160 on: 15 Sep 2016, 10:19 pm »
HI Folks,

I have a PDF of the literature for the Bryston Turntable and Phono stages.

if you want a copy please email me at jamestanner@bryston.com

james

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #161 on: 16 Sep 2016, 04:09 am »
There is hardly any math involved. Two button presses on a calculator (well, plus a little simple addition, but if that scares you, you should go back to your public school and shoot your 4th grade teacher).

Your eyes must glaze over at the mere sight of an equation. Not that you're alone, but I do find it an amusing aspect of human nature.

lol ok man, no worries...

Folsom

« Reply #162 on: 16 Sep 2016, 06:32 am »
James this looks excellent. Question, how easy is it to change VTA and does it have a good range?

I like dust covers but I believe that Music Hall's MMF5 for example is a superior design because it's easy to lift off and put back on without sacrificing the ability to flip open.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #163 on: 16 Sep 2016, 06:50 am »
James this looks excellent. Question, how easy is it to change VTA and does it have a good range?

I like dust covers but I believe that Music Hall's MMF5 for example is a superior design because it's easy to lift off and put back on without sacrificing the ability to flip open.

HI

The VTA has a good range and I usually recommend the tonearm have a slight downward slant with most cartridges. It is really an approximation anyway as record thicknesses vary.

Also my thoughts on dustcovers:

1. Critical enthusiast often remove the Dust Covers while the turntable is playing.  The Dust Cover first of all adds some mass to the plinth of the turntable but if it is made like many cheap turntables with extra light plastic, it may actually introduce some resonance.  Our Dust Covers are double thickness and solid and do not have that problem. 

Also, the turntable plinth has rounded ridges cut around the platter bearing/spindle and the motor to reduce vibrations coming through the plinth from affecting the cartridge/tonearm. This method is very effective at stop/stemming vibrations.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #164 on: 16 Sep 2016, 06:55 am »
HI Folks,

I have a PDF of the literature for the Bryston Turntable and Phono stages.

if you want a copy please email me at jamestanner@bryston.com

james

Heres a link to the download version:

https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/2c5e49fd-71fa-416c-8629-3dac71450518

Folsom

« Reply #165 on: 16 Sep 2016, 07:30 am »
James, VTA is important to get close to a 92.5º I believe it is... but what's important to note is the tip when inserted into the needle is not always, or maybe typically, perfectly aligned. You can use a microscope, or adjust VTA for sound if you don't have one. The azmith is complicated involving test records.

This has happened to me, where VTA adjustments greatly improved accuracy by adjustment over the "recommended" setting that didn't account for my particular needle to tip being slightly off. For this reason I actively avoid turntables that make it difficult.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #166 on: 16 Sep 2016, 07:51 am »
James, VTA is important to get close to a 92.5º I believe it is... but what's important to note is the tip when inserted into the needle is not always, or maybe typically, perfectly aligned. You can use a microscope, or adjust VTA for sound if you don't have one. The azmith is complicated involving test records.

This has happened to me, where VTA adjustments greatly improved accuracy by adjustment over the "recommended" setting that didn't account for my particular needle to tip being slightly off. For this reason I actively avoid turntables that make it difficult.

Hi Folsom

I agree the VTA adjustment is an important adjustment but really NOT something to be obsessed about.  The arm should be basically parallel when the cartridge tracks the LP or a little higher at the rear. The adjustment must be done with “your eyes/ears” because the records available are anywhere from 60 to 200 grams and therefore the thickness vary significantly.

I just do not want people to think they constantly have to fiddle with their tables in order to reap the benefits of LP playback. It always reminds me of a good friend of mine who was always tinkering with his car motor but rarely drove the car  :icon_lol:

james

Samurai7595

« Reply #167 on: 16 Sep 2016, 11:20 am »
Hi Folsom

I agree the VTA adjustment is an important adjustment but really NOT something to be obsessed about.  The arm should be basically parallel when the cartridge tracks the LP or a little higher at the rear. The adjustment must be done with “your eyes/ears” because the records available are anywhere from 60 to 200 grams and therefore the thickness vary significantly.

I just do not want people to think they constantly have to fiddle with their tables in order to reap the benefits of LP playback. It always reminds me of a good friend of mine who was always tinkering with his car motor but rarely drove the car  :icon_lol:

james

Also reminds me of an "audiophile" friend of mine who is constantly upgrading & tweaking his system but only owns about 25 LPs and 50 CDs...  :scratch: 

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #168 on: 16 Sep 2016, 01:32 pm »
^ Classic case of Audiophilia Nervosa.

I had my dealer install and adjust my tonearm/cart years ago. Never touched them since. I listen to music, not for flaws in my gear.  8)

gene9p

« Reply #169 on: 16 Sep 2016, 11:40 pm »
Hi Folsom

james

your eyes..your ears..I cannot tell you how many times I repeated those very words...If your tv looks good to you or what you hear sounds good to you go with that and NOT with someone else tells you or insists you are doing wrong. I believe expert reports and settings to be a starting point but not the exact point for everyone. They are measured  by machines and the machines may like it but last I checked .........well I might be a cyborg..LOL.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #170 on: 23 Sep 2016, 05:45 pm »
WHAT ? ... ANALOG - WITH WIRES !

Got the front cover - nice!

vegasdave

« Reply #171 on: 24 Sep 2016, 06:37 pm »
nice, congrats!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #172 on: 27 Sep 2016, 11:26 am »
HI Folks,

Starting to get some reviews in on the Bryston Turntable.

Sneak Peak on one due out soon:

"Have I heard better sounding ‘tables? Yes… but all of them have price tags in the mid 5-figure range.

If you’ve been searching for your “forever” ‘table and thought you had to spend $25K or more to get it, listen to Bryston’s TT with a reference calibre M/C cartridge and top-shelf phono cable.

This may just be the last turntable you’ll ever buy."

saveloy

« Reply #173 on: 27 Sep 2016, 01:09 pm »
Hi James,

Congratulations to you - that sounds fantastic.  Do you have any confirmed UK prices for the TT & MC Phono Stage yet?  And will you offer the TT with a cartridge option?

Kyri

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #174 on: 27 Sep 2016, 02:26 pm »
Hi James,

Congratulations to you - that sounds fantastic.  Do you have any confirmed UK prices for the TT & MC Phono Stage yet?  And will you offer the TT with a cartridge option?

Kyri

Hi Kyri

I am not sure what the prices will be in the UK but there are some turntables on the way there.

I have spoken to a number of dealers and distributors and they prefer to allow the customer to choose what cartridge they want so I think I will back off on that one.

I am looking at developing a Bryston MC cartridge though and that would be one recommendation of course.

james

saveloy

« Reply #175 on: 27 Sep 2016, 02:34 pm »
Thanks, James.

I am seeing Paul (HiFi Lounge) on Saturday.  I'm sure the TT will be a talking point. 

Kyri

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #176 on: 28 Sep 2016, 12:45 am »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston BLP-1 Turntable Review

September 2016

Starting to get some reviews on the new Bryston BLP-1 Turntable.

This first review is from NOVO Magazine [previously CANADA HiFi].

Full Review LINK:

http://www.canadahifi.com/bryston-blp-1-turntable-review/

audioguy213

« Reply #177 on: 28 Sep 2016, 01:18 am »
Nice review!
Do your dealers come and set up your TT with my cart as part of the price?

vegasdave

« Reply #178 on: 28 Sep 2016, 01:29 am »
excellent review! at this rate i'm gonna go broke between this and that monster from the great white north known as the 14b3!!!

speaking of monsters, we would have a lot less of them in our society if they are able to afford and own bryston equipment...i firmly believe that music reproduction on bryston equipment soothes the savage beast! it works for me! haha  :icon_twisted: :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #179 on: 28 Sep 2016, 01:53 am »
Nice review!
Do your dealers come and set up your TT with my cart as part of the price?

Hi

Yes most dealers will setup the cartridge free of charge.

james