Crown XLS- for the rest of us!

a.wayne

Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #260 on: 21 Nov 2014, 02:51 am »
I take threads like these as tacit proof that class d and digital technology in general has taken over and is superior. When you have class d amps such as Ncore and all that follow being lauded for superlative, unmatched sound quality (unthinkable merely 3 years ago), and high rez digital audio replacing vinyl at high end trade shows (again, unthinkable until very recently), we have crossed that bridge. Cat's out of the bag, genie out of the bottle, no going back, etc, etc.

Sooooooo  Class D has "unmatched" sound quality huh  .. :)

a.wayne

« Reply #261 on: 21 Nov 2014, 02:58 am »
Computer files should sound better than most CD players because there's no spinning disk with laser that contributes to distortion.

Not my experience , Cd's still sound better on Cd players , computers sounding better on high res files only .....

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #262 on: 21 Nov 2014, 03:26 am »
Not my experience , Cd's still sound better on Cd players , computers sounding better on high res files .....
This would be a good subject for debate but not in this thread.

roscoeiii

« Reply #263 on: 21 Nov 2014, 03:31 am »
This would be a good subject for debate but not in this thread.

+1

a.wayne

« Reply #264 on: 21 Nov 2014, 04:10 am »
Has the Crown left Jack yet, Roscoe are you next ...? :scratch:

roscoeiii

« Reply #265 on: 21 Nov 2014, 04:30 am »

Haven't heard from Jack yet. I know he is busy with work and that's meant a lot of traavel for him.

a.wayne

« Reply #266 on: 21 Nov 2014, 04:34 am »
Thanks  for the update ..........

WireNut

« Reply #267 on: 21 Nov 2014, 09:30 am »

The XLS series has an onboard configurable crossover,

Can the onboard crossover be bi-passed or disabled?
I already have a crossover for my bi-amp system.

rodge827

« Reply #268 on: 21 Nov 2014, 11:38 am »
Since I guess I started a make shift tour of one of these amps I figured I'll dedicate a thread to it and all things Crown XLS. Whether you want to cryo it, mono it, feed it to sharks, throw it off a cliff and see if it's still ticking(not the tour amp  :nono:).... whatever floats your boat.

Tour as of now...

Jackman/Roscoeiii- Chicago

rodge827- Jersey

:dunno: :wave: :sleep: :sleep:

dlaloum

« Reply #269 on: 21 Nov 2014, 12:27 pm »
Can the onboard crossover be bi-passed or disabled?
I already have a crossover for my bi-amp system.

Yes

Default setup is straight pass through stereo

Worth checking whether the peak limiter is switched on too, as it does degrade the sound somewhat.... and for our home use purposes really shouldn't be needed.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #270 on: 21 Nov 2014, 11:49 pm »
  :dunno: :wave: :sleep: :sleep:

I put in a pm to Jack to see how everything's going. Hopefully we'll hear from him soon!

rodge827

« Reply #271 on: 21 Nov 2014, 11:57 pm »
No worries just adding to the "fill" and waiting on Jacks'  :bomb:!

Folsom

« Reply #272 on: 22 Nov 2014, 12:42 am »
Sadly the best caps to replace in this unit don't have an equivlant in correct size. The good news are they're the cheapest in a catagory that doesn't have anything truly "bad".

Odal3

« Reply #273 on: 22 Nov 2014, 05:40 pm »
How does the sound compare to the TPA3116 and the other popular amp boards (a side from the big diff in power rating)?

Been looking for a used Crown 1500  since the summer but  haven't been able to find one in Indianapolis for the prices you have quoted? Where do you find the used ones other than Craigslist or ebay?Are there any good sites for used pro gear?

*Scotty*

« Reply #274 on: 22 Nov 2014, 06:05 pm »
What is the rail voltage on the 1500?
Scotty

jackman

« Reply #275 on: 22 Nov 2014, 06:13 pm »
Hey Guys,
I just sent Tommy a message and texted Roscoe. I'll post a detailed review later today. My travel schedule did not allow me to give the amp a fair listen at reasonable volumes until this week. I've had a chance to put it through its paces and compare directly with the NCore. 

Wirenut, the Crown, which weighs almost nothing, can drive your subs without breaking a sweat. Even if you listen to chest thumping bass-heavy music, I suspect this little amp will not be short on power. It is very powerful and I've been pushing it hard all week and have not been able to get it to clip. The fan barely goes on and it runs dead silent. When my sub amp goes, Crown K1, I'm replacing it with the new Crown.  If the NCore ever blows up...you will have to wait and I'll let everyone know in graphic detail.

Thanks and thanks again Tommy for letting me borrow this impressive amp. My view of pro class D amps has changed considerably in the past week.

WireNut

« Reply #276 on: 22 Nov 2014, 06:55 pm »

Wirenut, the Crown, which weighs almost nothing, can drive your subs without breaking a sweat. Even if you listen to chest thumping bass-heavy music, I suspect this little amp will not be short on power. It is very powerful and I've been pushing it hard all week and have not been able to get it to clip. The fan barely goes on and it runs dead silent. When my sub amp goes, Crown K1, I'm replacing it with the new Crown.  If the NCore ever blows up...you will have to wait and I'll let everyone know in graphic detail.

Thanks Jackman, that's good to know. After selling my Audio Research 150.2 amp recently due to job layoff I think a Crown XLS just might be the ticket for my next sub amp. I don't think I need (and can't afford) something like an Audio Research amp to drive my subs again. For $550.00 for a new XLS2500 that will probably be the way I go for my next bass amp purchase after I start my new job next week.

BTW, do you all know if the XLS units are a true balanced design or do they convert a balanced line to unbalanced after the input?
Some power amps I've owned in the pass have converted the signal.

rascal

« Reply #277 on: 22 Nov 2014, 07:16 pm »
I have xls2000 and wow it is a great Amp for the money  :thumb: Thank you guys for pointing me to this Amp.

I have nc400 monos- and I have to say when listening to music- at moderate to louder volumes IMHO ncore sound more polished, refined and how shall I say effect was musical- and pleasant to listen to for long hours. With XLS I felt it was a bit shrill or not refined but it did not cut it out for me as amp for mains. It is as if I am comparing a hifi to smoother audiophile gear - and NOT reaching the last 10%. 

Now I do not know if modded xls will make the cut?

I am not selling my nc400 amps- they are keepers for now even at 4x the price  :green: I am keeping XLS2000 for my front subs- they are better than internal (older) bash I have- the difference was there after careful level matching

I am not a nc400 fanboy - in my set up (B&W w modded northcreek Xover) nc400 has not been best amp to grace my system- BAT amps have sounded best to me- but they are so much more expensive IMHO but nc400 almost gets me there.

YMMV but I have to say that you owe it to yourself to own XL2000/2500 amps- they are keepers :thumb:

OzarkTom

« Reply #278 on: 22 Nov 2014, 07:27 pm »
I have xls2000 and wow it is a great Amp for the money  :thumb: Thank you guys for pointing me to this Amp.

I have nc400 monos- and I have to say when listening to music- at moderate to louder volumes IMHO ncore sound more polished, refined and how shall I say effect was musical- and pleasant to listen to for long hours. With XLS I felt it was a bit shrill or not refined but it did not cut it out for me as amp for mains. It is as if I am comparing a hifi to smoother audiophile gear - and NOT reaching the last 10%. 

Now I do not know if modded xls will make the cut?

I am not selling my nc400 amps- they are keepers for now even at 4x the price  :green: I am keeping XLS2000 for my front subs- they are better than internal (older) bash I have- the difference was there after careful level matching

I am not a nc400 fanboy - in my set up (B&W w modded northcreek Xover) nc400 has not been best amp to grace my system- BAT amps have sounded best to me- but they are so much more expensive IMHO but nc400 almost gets me there.

YMMV but I have to say that you owe it to yourself to own XL2000/2500 amps- they are keepers :thumb:

How many hours do you have on your Crown?

a.wayne

« Reply #279 on: 22 Nov 2014, 07:31 pm »
Thanks Jack , what are the main speakers you're using ...?

@Rascal what model B&W ..?